ADVERTISEMENT

Now being reported Cincinnati

I thought you followed basketball as well based on your avatar.

Some of the Indy football teams have had to schedule other teams twice per season just to fill out a schedule. A conference membership at least avoids that one.
Well I still don’t consider basketball in the mix of the other Olympic sports but yes i see where I misspoke on that.. well it was just a thought.

So I feel the same way I did when teams left CUSA for the Big East before the Catholic schools broke off and the AAC was formed. Since it is happening again but this time to a “Power 5” conference, I don’t know how they can call themselves that after losing Oklahoma and Texas.

My question is why don’t we just go back to being an independent? We can schedule better games that way and are not locked in to Arky State or North Texas or Western Kentucky.
Do you like TU playing in an occasional bowl game? It would be near impossible to go to a regular bowl game as an independent short of winning 10 games

Do you like TU playing in an occasional bowl game? It would be near impossible to go to a regular bowl game as an independent short of winning 10 games
Well I don’t think that is a good argument against going Indy as we we really don’t go to them much right now and if we do it’s not like we are getting quality opponents. They put us with a 3 win Mississippi state team that shouldn’t have been there. Going to a bowl game back in the day was a special thing. Now there are so many “bowl” games that it is now the college equivalent of a participation trophy.

remember the Miami bowl that we had to find a play to put our punter into the game? Ball state? Come on really.

I am pretty sure teams lose money going to some of the “lesser” bowls with travel expenses. I got it that it’s the experience but really what exposure are we getting playing a 3 win team with a huge brawl afterwards.

matter of fact the more I write this the more I am convinced that we should just go independent.

I’m not sure how this is going to play out after 2025 but if we go to large super conferences scheduling as an independent (unless you’re ND) will be problematic. Especially during October and November. You also have the issue of trying to back into a conference should independent not work. Pretty risky move imo.

Reactions: drboobay
Well I don’t think that is a good argument against going Indy as we we really don’t go to them much right now and if we do it’s not like we are getting quality opponents. They put us with a 3 win Mississippi state team that shouldn’t have been there. Going to a bowl game back in the day was a special thing. Now there are so many “bowl” games that it is now the college equivalent of a participation trophy.

remember the Miami bowl that we had to find a play to put our punter into the game? Ball state? Come on really.

I am pretty sure teams lose money going to some of the “lesser” bowls with travel expenses. I got it that it’s the experience but really what exposure are we getting playing a 3 win team with a huge brawl afterwards.

matter of fact the more I write this the more I am convinced that we should just go independent.
Well how about this...going independent means no TV contract, no guaranteed broadcasts or streaming services so if you don't live in or near Tulsa there's no seeing your team play, only following scores. We aren't BYU so no outlet outside of a local station is going to pay for that (despite the fact that Tulsa is one of the highest rated college football markets in the country. People will watch TU on TV, just not get off their asses to go to a game).

And the bowl games are at a minimum a break even proposition...plus the exposure...plus the added applications from HS seniors. At the end of the day being in a conference where games are televised or streamed and the team and school are showcased is a positive for TU in general.

Ideally Aresco can poach Boise St, Colorado St. Air Force and an east coast side. His statement this morning was fantastic. He has a plan...unlike Bowlsby or the PAC12 who both seemed caught off guard by everything that has happened the last 2 months.

Nobody’s going independent without ESPN and ESPN would take care of the scheduling through relationships with the existing brokerage services.

Well how about this...going independent means no TV contract, no guaranteed broadcasts or streaming services so if you don't live in or near Tulsa there's no seeing your team play, only following scores. We aren't BYU so no outlet outside of a local station is going to pay for that (despite the fact that Tulsa is one of the highest rated college football markets in the country. People will watch TU on TV, just not get off their asses to go to a game).

And the bowl games are at a minimum a break even proposition...plus the exposure...plus the added applications from HS seniors. At the end of the day being in a conference where games are televised or streamed and the team and school are showcased is a positive for TU in general.

Ideally Aresco can poach Boise St, Colorado St. Air Force and an east coast side. His statement this morning was fantastic. He has a plan...unlike Bowlsby or the PAC12 who both seemed caught off guard by everything that has happened the last 2 months.
At this point, Aresco is a QB running the plays called by ESPN. I still think the Big 12 falls apart and the goal posts will move for Houston and UCF like they did going to the Big East.

I’m not sure how this is going to play out after 2025 but if we go to large super conferences scheduling as an independent (unless you’re ND) will be problematic. Especially during October and November. You also have the issue of trying to back into a conference should independent not work. Pretty risky move imo.
Your correct it would be a risky move as you pointed out we don’t know what is going to happen after 2025. The whole landscape might make another dramatic shift. What is our schedule going to look like?

Let’s see who Aresco is able to add before giving him credit for being prepared. I’m not optimistic. Hoping to be surprised.

Reactions: loca2874
At this point, Aresco is a QB running the plays called by ESPN. I still think the Big 12 falls apart and the goal posts will move for Houston and UCF like they did going to the Big East.
I was hoping they would have imploded and we could have poached teams into the AAC. It would have made us much better.

Not all exposure is good exposure. Now you talk about broadcasting, as long as we aren’t scheduling other independents then we would still see them on ESPN+ as most of the conferences broadcast the games on there at least. I hope Aresco has a plan but so far the only argument I have found to start swaying me back was Lawpoke taking about the scheduling in Late October or November. That said even the “Big conferences” will schedule you in the middle of the year and have a conference game to start the season if need be. Big 10 did that this year. So it’s possible.

It’s very difficult for independents to schedule late season home games. Back when we were Indy, 5 game home schedules were the norm with some seasons only having 4 home games.

And where are you going to put the Olympic sports, in the conference with ORU? That would be exciting.

The schedule use to be an issue, but with Liberty, NMST, UConn, UMass and an FCS team it isn't that hard, Army is on the schedule already but we could probably move their second FCS game every season for a few extra games.

I could see other independents falling out from this. The new CFP model opens the door for the old Indy blueprint Louiville, Florida St, Miami, ECU, Navy use to follow with access if your teams are really good.

BYU got very favorable terms to join the conference, I suppose all 4 teams did. Doesn't bode well for the future, OSU will never sign a long-term GOR with that conference.

-Big 12 will pay BYU’s $1M WCC buyout -BYU will NOT be scheduled for sporting events on Sundays -BYUtv gets 3rd tier media rights for ALL sporting events -BYU will share any potential UT/OU buyout

• Wow
BYU got very favorable terms to join the conference, I suppose all 4 teams did. Doesn't bode well for the future, OSU will never sign a long-term GOR with that conference.

-Big 12 will pay BYU’s $1M WCC buyout -BYU will NOT be scheduled for sporting events on Sundays -BYUtv gets 3rd tier media rights for ALL sporting events -BYU will share any potential UT/OU buyout
All Big12 teams retain their own 3rd tier media rights. Now sharing any potential UT/OU buyout is quite favorable. I agree that OSU won’t be signing a long term GOR.

And y’all doubted ol’ Huffy when I said BYU would come to the table with demands they would dictate. They are now the most powerful school in the conference and get ready to hear about it.
Thought they would have received a lot more than a receipt of any potential buyout money. They only guaranteed money or concession was $1M.

Question for ya Huffy. Do we have an apples to apples situation (% of broadcast / distributed revenue) with Cincy / UCF / Houston leaving our conference as the Big 12 faces seeing OU and UT leave (accounting for roughly 70% of the conferences pooled revenue)? Do those three teams leaving mean we're dealing with 1/3 of the streaming / TV revenue prior to their departure? I hope we weren't that heavily reliant on those 3 for the financial stability of our conference... Having traveled to Houston for work at least 20 times in my life, I have never once seen a Houston flag, shirt or piece of memorabilia. I can't believe they're some massive TV draw for huge city that has little interest in Coug high.

Don’t believe the raiding is over. Aresco needs to lock Boise up now.

Question for ya Huffy. Do we have an apples to apples situation (% of broadcast / distributed revenue) with Cincy / UCF / Houston leaving our conference as the Big 12 faces seeing OU and UT leave (accounting for roughly 70% of the conferences pooled revenue)? Do those three teams leaving mean we're dealing with 1/3 of the streaming / TV revenue prior to their departure? I hope we weren't that heavily reliant on those 3 for the financial stability of our conference... Having traveled to Houston for work at least 20 times in my life, I have never once seen a Houston flag, shirt or piece of memorabilia. I can't believe they're some massive TV draw for huge city that has little interest in Coug high.
It’s more like watermelons to cantaloupes. I’ve seen varying numbers thrown around about total value of our departing members. Some of it reputable, some of it purposeful convolution. There’s no grant of rights but the exit fee if paid in full will essentially cover what we would have made if they stayed through until 2025 when all this stuff will start over again. Assuming ESPN doesn’t want to renegotiate the cable deal. Short term we should be ok as it stands now. Long term, as I’ve stated before, we have some significant threats but those can be addressed strategically. I wouldn’t be surprised to read that we are losing 30% of the gross revenue but it’s been reported as close to 40%. I don’t believe those numbers. 30 is a sizeable but survivable hit. And we can compensate for some of that in the long run if strategic additions become possible. The most interesting tidbit out there on the internet is that BYU was by far and away significantly valued higher than the other three. And the distance between 3 and 4 and 4 and every one else was significant. Which basically means SMU embarrassed themselves and UCF barely made it in. It wouldn’t surprise me to read that BYU ranks someone between 1 and 4 in terms of true full value in the Big 12 and the other three have greater values than a few original Big 12 members. With this in mind, I don’t think we are seeing a stable Big 12. It’s a patient in ICU that has been stabilized. Today’s move puts off the reckoning of a 65% paycut and moves it up to a 50% pay cut for Big 12 members. UCF will see a windfall. BYU doubles their money. That won’t sit well when the current deal is over. The uncertainty of the last few months will return. I very much doubt anybody is going to be interested in schools like Boise in 5 years if the gap in value now was so great they didn’t merit discussion which is what’s being reported.

Reactions: TU 1978
And I think it’s hilarious that the AP while reporting this story said today that Texas and Oklahoma leaving the conference will deprive the conference of the only two schools that have won a national championship. Hahaha. Red butt in Stillwater and Oviedo over that I’m sure.

But there is no real championship in fbs and never has been.

Aresco needs to lock up the best remaining schools ASAP. Bowlsby has outmaneuvered him over the past few months. Remember…at one time it appeared the AAC might be the surviving conference. Bowlsby’s plan is clear. The Big12 will add the best schools over the next 3-4 years to form a core of 14-16 schools. Why? Because Bowlsby knows the conference will likely lose 2-4 members come 2025. He has thus insured the Big12 will be the G5 conference when this day of reckoning comes.

The question becomes who will the AAC add and will they have the foresight to anticipate and withstand further defections? Will the AAC and MWC form some type of alliance as a buffer from an expanding Big12. We’re still 3-4 years away from this play’s finale but moves made today will dictate which conferences not only survive but end up in the best possible situations. Round one goes to Bowlsby. Can Aresco counter?

Reactions: quincy101
I guess Bowlsby “outmaneuvered” Aresco with his hysterical cease & desist threats.

As much as I hate our conference losing any school, I’m very glad to see Cincinnati leave. They have low class fans, they’re dishonest (see last season’s Covid cancellation manuever) & are high maintenance. Houston was my second choice to leave with similar characteristics. I kinda liked UCF.

You should probably get your eyes checked because there's been a massive UH flag hanging off of Beltway 8.

Walmart and Academy all over the city had UT, A&M and UH banners hanging from the ceilings and lots of gear.

There's a reason why we went P5 and it wasn't because of The Big 12 inviting us out of the kindness of their hearts.

Houston is a significant city in our alumni base and critical for recruiting. I despise the program but we need to be viewed as equals with them in the area. Trust me, them leaving hurts us a lot in living rooms where we need to win.

Rice is available.

You should probably get your eyes checked because there's been a massive UH flag hanging off of Beltway 8.

Walmart and Academy all over the city had UT, A&M and UH banners hanging from the ceilings and lots of gear.

There's a reason why we went P5 and it wasn't because of The Big 12 inviting us out of the kindness of their hearts.
They need a red rube until they get their new deals with the Pac, Big, or ACC...

Too many greedy a$$holes in one room for that house to stand.

Yeah it's called desperation, and a temporary need for a place holder.

Your near future conference changes(coming soon) to a theatre 🎭 near you.

Reactions: TU 1978
Yeah it's called desperation, and a temporary need for a place holder.

Your near future conference changes(coming soon) to a theatre 🎭 near you.
It's almost like this happened with another conference a few years ago and we ended up together again after a few schools paid a bunch of money to play the same people... I think the conference was the Mediocre Direction League or some such thing.

Reactions: TULSARISING
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT