ADVERTISEMENT

Now being reported Cincinnati

libertychamp

I.T.S. Position Coach
Sep 23, 2007
Had officially applied for the big 12 and is expected to be accepted by this Friday. Will aac kick us out.

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
Had officially applied for the big 12 and is expected to be accepted by this Friday. Will aac kick us out.
No but I think we should add Army and Air Force so we can have all of the military academies in the conference, maybe Boise State as well

Reactions: GoldenCaneKC
Service Academies would kill our basketball NET. No thanks. We need well rounded programs who are competitive in multiple sports

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Service Academies would kill our basketball NET. No thanks. We need well rounded programs who are competitive in multiple sports
Wonder if we could do them as football only? Maybe pick up Creighton or Butler for basketball only ?

Whatever and whoever maximizes our overall streaming value for football is all that matters.
Any idea how that would work with the armed forces network? Assumed the academies would have their streaming available on the AFN.

I think the move we make need to factor in the fact that the MWC is now on par with the AAC or better. It's close now... too close. Back in 2012 there was a CUSA/MWC merger/alliance that was nearly approved before the Big East came in and took all of us. I think that should be looked at again. if the AAC and MWC were to merge then there would still be a clear separation between us and the other "G5" leagues. Our TV contract wouldn't take as big as a hit and our recruiting would still be on par with where we are now. Looking at the teams being thrown around on Twitter is depressing. They are choosing teams based on one year of success during a weird COVID year. Coastal Carolina is being mentioned in almost every post. They have only been FBS for 3 years and their all-time largest crowd in 17k. Only one winning season to I believe. We can't do that. Add Boise, Air Force, CSU, Nevada, Fresno, and even San Diego State to get us aligned with programs that have history and large stadiums to hopefully fill one day. I don't hate the idea of adding UAB and Marshall because of shared history but I don't think that gets Boise to move over.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Coastal Carolina is a darling because they have boosters that buy ads on ESPN. It’s a great example of what’s wrong with college football that you never see.

I don’t see the AAC being able to pull any MWC schools aboard. Sunbelt and CUSA more likely targets.

who do we add?

Boise, col st, so Miss, and?
I like where you are going with this but I would swap out SO Miss for UAB. They are building a new stadium and have recent success in basketball and football. Plus they built a good stadium. These other teams are building 15k seat stadiums. The other team would be Air Force in my opinion. They would add a national following and a more historical name.

Reactions: el duran
I don’t see the AAC being able to pull any MWC schools aboard. Sunbelt and CUSA more likely targets.
You may be right but I think our chances are better if we take more than just 2. If we take 4 or more we have a TV contract to negotiate with and a better preception than other G5s. By taking more we take out other competition and provide a more complete geographical division.

You may be right but I think our chances are better if we take more than just 2. If we take 4 or more we have a TV contract to negotiate with and a better preception than other G5s. By taking more we take out other competition and provide a more complete geographical division.
Agree. The MWC schools are regional rivals and the conference fits into a nice geographical footprint. You’re asking a few of those schools to abandon those rivalries and incur increased travel expenses to join a similar league. I would be surprised if the increased network revenue (assuming that to be the case) would be sufficient to override those negatives. Now, if the AAC invites 4-6 of those schools then those problems are greatly reduced.

Reactions: el duran
The 20 team megaconference seems like the best option inclusive of AAC, MWC and Army.

Reactions: eastcane
Why didn't TU apply for membership in the Big 12?

Never hurts to at least put yourself out there and try!

The 20 team megaconference seems like the best option inclusive of AAC, MWC and Army.
I doubt if the MWC would be interested in that, they'd prefer to let the AAC raid C-USA and the Sunbelt then claim the P-6 label.

If I had to handicap it, UAB and Liberty. Maybe Air Force and Colorado State, but there would be concessions there on scheduling and certain non football travel. Issues that remain from the WAC. The Charlotte people are high on themselves. Never really looked into the very limited publicly available numbers on them though.

If I had to handicap it, UAB and Liberty. Maybe Air Force and Colorado State, but there would be concessions there on scheduling and certain non football travel. Issues that remain from the WAC. The Charlotte people are high on themselves. Never really looked into the very limited publicly available numbers on them though.
Hard no on Liberty for me. It's basically ORU on worldwide crack. I think the AAC needs to balance geography with what's in the conference now. UMASS does that, Charlotte, UAB, and <pick a school>. Maybe UTSA? Lots of eyeballs in San Antonio and the Roadrunners are a program with potential in lots of sports. UAB is a competitive winner. UMASS has a ton of support. Charlotte is that new program with a lot of potential and in a city that is seemingly craving teams to root for. Sure some will support the Research Triangle schools, but Charlotte is sort of away from that area and a different type of citizenry and fan base from the Raleigh area. There's a ton of potential eyeballs and supporters with Charlotte and a boost in competition will probably provide a boost to their recruiting. Ideally Aresco would pursue some programs in P5s and get them to look ahead. TCU and Vanderbilt will almost assuredly be left out of any FBS Super League conversation.

As Huffy keeps saying, stop thinking the quality of their program at this static moment in time is the end all and be all for that expansion decision. (And this is where the Big XII will fail and why UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston will find themselves in a bad space in 10-12 months from now. The PAC 12 is waiting to see what the SEC does with OU and Texas and when that exit is going to come. It's not going to be 2025. I think that's when the PAC 12 makes their decision and poaches OSU and 1 other. The B1G is not going to sit by and their going to take Iowa State and Kansas. And WVa may end up in the ACC before the end of the year. BYU will jump back out of the deal and stay independent and won't lose a dime or any sleep. And the insanely funny thing is, even if none of this happens, I feel confident that the ALLIANCE and the SEC EMPIRE will cut the Little XII out of any playoff deal in the next negotiation and they'll be relegated to G# status moving forward.

MWC teams are obviously more appealing than some of the other options out there. Will Aresco be able to work some magic there and pull a rabbit out of his hat? After the MWC teams, the options drop off like a chunk of concrete dropped in grand lake.

The only non MWC team that seems remotely viable is UAB - they’ve shown massive investment in their athletic programs.

after that… those we add will taint the image of the league, but there may not be any other options at this point. Kind of a bad situation all around outside of MWC teams.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Hard no on Liberty for me. It's basically ORU on worldwide crack. I think the AAC needs to balance geography with what's in the conference now. UMASS does that, Charlotte, UAB, and <pick a school>. Maybe UTSA? Lots of eyeballs in San Antonio and the Roadrunners are a program with potential in lots of sports. UAB is a competitive winner. UMASS has a ton of support. Charlotte is that new program with a lot of potential and in a city that is seemingly craving teams to root for. Sure some will support the Research Triangle schools, but Charlotte is sort of away from that area and a different type of citizenry and fan base from the Raleigh area. There's a ton of potential eyeballs and supporters with Charlotte and a boost in competition will probably provide a boost to their recruiting. Ideally Aresco would pursue some programs in P5s and get them to look ahead. TCU and Vanderbilt will almost assuredly be left out of any FBS Super League conversation.

As Huffy keeps saying, stop thinking the quality of their program at this static moment in time is the end all and be all for that expansion decision. (And this is where the Big XII will fail and why UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston will find themselves in a bad space in 10-12 months from now. The PAC 12 is waiting to see what the SEC does with OU and Texas and when that exit is going to come. It's not going to be 2025. I think that's when the PAC 12 makes their decision and poaches OSU and 1 other. The B1G is not going to sit by and their going to take Iowa State and Kansas. And WVa may end up in the ACC before the end of the year. BYU will jump back out of the deal and stay independent and won't lose a dime or any sleep. And the insanely funny thing is, even if none of this happens, I feel confident that the ALLIANCE and the SEC EMPIRE will cut the Little XII out of any playoff deal in the next negotiation and they'll be relegated to G# status moving forward.
I believe this is the correct line of reasoning. Come 2025 I do think the only members left in the Big12 will be BYU, Houston, Cincy, UCF, Iowa State, KState, Baylor and TCU. At this point I see the Big12 remnants adding Boise, Colorado State, Memphis, etc…. Hopefully Tulsa can get into what will clearly be the best G5.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
No to Liberty.

I'd take a hard look at UNT and UTSA before I'd look at a school like Liberty or Louisiana.

So I feel the same way I did when teams left CUSA for the Big East before the Catholic schools broke off and the AAC was formed. Since it is happening again but this time to a “Power 5” conference, I don’t know how they can call themselves that after losing Oklahoma and Texas.

My question is why don’t we just go back to being an independent? We can schedule better games that way and are not locked in to Arky State or North Texas or Western Kentucky.

My question is why don’t we just go back to being an independent? We can schedule better games that way and are not locked in to Arky State or North Texas or Western Kentucky.
It’s very difficult for independents to schedule late season home games. Back when we were Indy, 5 game home schedules were the norm with some seasons only having 4 home games.

And where are you going to put the Olympic sports, in the conference with ORU? That would be exciting.

Why didn't TU apply for membership in the Big 12?

Never hurts to at least put yourself out there and try!

I'm sure other potential conferences look at us with the same disinterest / avoidance as we look at a UTEP or Troy equivalent. We haven't had large crowds in our stadium since the early to mid 90s. Back then this town gave a damn about TU football.

It’s very difficult for independents to schedule late season home games. Back when we were Indy, 5 game home schedules were the norm with some seasons only having 4 home games.

And where are you going to put the Olympic sports, in the conference with ORU? That would be exciting.
I hear you on this but now it’s a question of quality over quantity. Do we want more home games or do we want our quality of opponent to go up? That is the reason for the question.
As for the Olympic sports I am sure someone will take them. The only Olympic sport I follow from TU is softball.

I hear you on this but now it’s a question of quality over quantity. Do we want more home games or do we want our quality of opponent to go up? That is the reason for the question.
As for the Olympic sports I am sure someone will take them. The only Olympic sport I follow from TU is softball.
I thought you followed basketball as well based on your avatar.

Some of the Indy football teams have had to schedule other teams twice per season just to fill out a schedule. A conference membership at least avoids that one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT