ADVERTISEMENT

Monty

IF we win out, he should only be retained IF he brings in an OC (and gives up play calling), gets a new ST, WR, and QB coach. I know none of things are likely, but that's what should happen IF we win out, which we most likely won't. He has the potential to be a great HC, but it doesn't appear he can make the change like Gundy did; the man is too much of a micro-manager and can't get out of his own way.

IF we win out, he should only be retained IF he brings in an OC (and gives up play calling), gets a new ST, WR, and QB coach. I know none of things are likely, but that's what should happen IF we win out, which we most likely won't. He has the potential to be a great HC, but it doesn't appear he can make the change like Gundy did; the man is too much of a micro-manager and can't get out of his own way.
I suspect the issue is more about loyalty and friendship with his assistants than micromanagement. After having been an assistant coach for so long, he may be too empathetic and not able to do what's best for the program. I hope I'm wrong. Letting go of the co-DC was a really good move but not sure if it was a firing or resignation. It appears that maybe one of the best qualities a head coach can have is a stone cold heart, e.g. Saban, Graham, etc.

Does he have budget for all these new hires? I assume it’ll be expensive to bring in better quality coaches in what very well may be a 1 year gig. And OC would be a new salary.

Reactions: 4tu2
There's definitely blind loyalty there, just look at some of the under performing players that are out there due to them being seniors... But listen to the interview with Dane about the QB being trusted on play calls. As far as money goes, there's going to be an increase in TV dollars, it's just how much. Surely it's enough to bring in positional coaches. I don't think any of those changes are going to happen though... I just think that's what needs to happen if he stays.

Does he have budget for all these new hires? I assume it’ll be expensive to bring in better quality coaches in what very well may be a 1 year gig. And OC would be a new salary.
I believe Norwood left for another gig which was actually a blessing in disguise for us. I think Young has a much more extensive knowledge of running and disguising defenses as well as being aggressive in coverage on pass plays which is why our pass defense has been so good without the benefit of actually having any type of pass rush (with the exception of Trevis Gipson who seemingly gets held on every freaking play).

I would target to replace the WR coach and bring in a QB coach with the title of Associate OC. Monty just needs to be freed up to be the HC and game manager. Right now he's too close to the offensive side and micro managing things too much. Gundy said the same thing when he relinquished that role and brought in Holgersen.

The other thing we need to protect against is someone coming in and stealing Bloesch. I think that guy is going to eventually get a big time gig...just hoping he can develop a few more OL for us and maybe have one of those guys come back and take over that role.

I believe Norwood left for another gig which was actually a blessing in disguise for us. I think Young has a much more extensive knowledge of running and disguising defenses as well as being aggressive in coverage on pass plays which is why our pass defense has been so good without the benefit of actually having any type of pass rush (with the exception of Trevis Gipson who seemingly gets held on every freaking play).

I would target to replace the WR coach and bring in a QB coach with the title of Associate OC. Monty just needs to be freed up to be the HC and game manager. Right now he's too close to the offensive side and micro managing things too much. Gundy said the same thing when he relinquished that role and brought in Holgersen.

The other thing we need to protect against is someone coming in and stealing Bloesch. I think that guy is going to eventually get a big time gig...just hoping he can develop a few more OL for us and maybe have one of those guys come back and take over that role.
Idk, the Oline has not impressed me that much

Last edited:
Idk, the Online has not impressed me that much
There have been a couple of issues and they are seemingly limited to RT and LT. I am still wondering why no changes have been made in those positions. The sack that Boomer took in the 1st quarter was because the RT got beat by the speed move outside. Both our tackles show slow footwork in getting to that outside speed rusher and our scheme has the RB stepping into the middle to pick up gap blitzes. The interior of the OL has been pretty good all season. Chandler has been solid. Bowling has been solid when healthy. Paul and Wyatt have been good since they've been inserted into the lineup.

The tackles have been the issue all season.

Monty need to make some changes to his coaching staff. He need to move his QB and RB to other roles like assistant RB coach and assistant passing game coach.

There have been a couple of issues and they are seemingly limited to RT and LT. I am still wondering why no changes have been made in those positions. The sack that Boomer took in the 1st quarter was because the RT got beat by the speed move outside. Both our tackles show slow footwork in getting to that outside speed rusher and our scheme has the RB stepping into the middle to pick up gap blitzes. The interior of the OL has been pretty good all season. Chandler has been solid. Bowling has been solid when healthy. Paul and Wyatt have been good since they've been inserted into the lineup.

The tackles have been the issue all season.
We have 3 maybe 4 ways to address the OT situation. 1st we recruit juco players to fix now. 2nd option to add two TE and change up play calling. 3rd options to recruit tall slim OT for instance 6'4 250 then add the weight but this mean red shirt for a year before seeing action. 4th we recruit smaller OT with good foot speed for example 6'2 280. What do you guys suggest we do?

We have 3 maybe 4 ways to address the OT situation. 1st we recruit juco players to fix now. 2nd option to add two TE and change up play calling. 3rd options to recruit tall slim OT for instance 6'4 250 then add the weight but this mean red shirt for a year before seeing action. 4th we recruit smaller OT with good foot speed for example 6'2 280. What do you guys suggest we do?
Plagg was a smaller OT with great feet and he worked out just fine. I think Waahid gets the job done too...but apparently he is injured.

I know it might not be a good look to bench the senior who is the spiritual and emotional leader of your team (Wright) in favor of a younger player. But at what point does doing something like that so your team gets better take precedent over making an unpopular decision. Sort of like keeping Cody Green as the starter for so long.

Re-open the Pennsylvania Pipeline.... we need more ‘ski’s’ on the line.

Reactions: TU Sepp and TULOYAL
I think our new secondary coach (after Norwood left) deserves a small raise. He came in and allowed us to play a new defensive scheme and actually took some of the power out of Young's DL (going from a 4 man front to 3) and we added another safety in the backfield which allowed us to play much better pass defense.

We need a new WR's coach desperately and a new QB coach. Trehan hasn't improved our QB much if at all. I don't think a new OC is going to improve the offense unless it's a guy that's going to know the Briles system.

Installing a new system two years removed from having what was probably the best offense in the country (and is still torching teams in Houston, Tampa, and Syracuse) seems stupid. We just need someone who can come in and coach the team to execute on a macroscopic level. If they know the Briles offense they can call plays. If they don't then they can be a position coach and make sure the offense is executing and help with the offensive game planning.

That Art Briles guy knows the Briles offense pretty well....maybe we should hire him to be the OC.

That Art Briles guy knows the Briles offense pretty well....maybe we should hire him to be the OC.
Ummmm....what is the statute of limitations on hiring this guy in any capacity at any level? Dave Bliss had players murdering each other over bad drug deals...he's coaching again (at least had a job as of a year ago).

I don't think Briles was completely ignorant of what was happening. I do think he probably talked to McCaw about how to handle it...and McCaw probably asked Ken Starr and my guess is they decided as a group to handle it internally to avoid the negative publicity (and to avoid suspending or dismissing a key player or two). And this is where Briles feels he should not be held accountable for how it was handled because the decision came from above him.

IDK. Obviously Houston doesn't care what stigma comes with having a Briles on staff who previously coached at Baylor. I wonder what Monty has been told regarding the possibility of bringing on former Baylor coaches.

Because we really need to hire someone nobody else wants who will resent accepting $500,000 for the job after we’ve invested ridiculous time and money to raise awareness and combat sexual assault. Got it.

@Chris Harmon will the coaches continue to use 2 backs or WR and RB combo in the backfield. The wheel route is open on Memphis and RB dump off.
Also, will Monty recruit OT or Linemen from other states like Pennsylvania, Arizona, California or Illinois

I don't expect them to recruit much outside of OK, TX, AR, KS, MO and LA...unless they hire someone with good connections elsewhere.
Maybe we could grab Justin Lustig. He's the Special Teams coordinator and outside WR coach for Syracuse. (He was also formerly their RB coach as well). He seems to do a good job with the offense as he's been in Baber's camp since Easter Illinois. He could help our kicking game as well. Don't know how well he's doing with their receivers right now, but the Syracuse team seems to be doing well as a whole.

Also, he's got Pennsylvania ties. He could be good for us if that's an area we're interested in.

Maybe we could grab Justin Lustig. He's the Special Teams coordinator and outside WR coach for Syracuse. (He was also formerly their RB coach as well). He seems to do a good job with the offense as he's been in Baber's camp since Easter Illinois. He could help our kicking game as well. Don't know how well he's doing with their receivers right now, but the Syracuse team seems to be doing well as a whole.

Also, he's got Pennsylvania ties. He could be good for us if that's an area we're interested in.
Could we pay him more than what he's making at Syracuse? Sad thing is, we could call him the OC and he would still make more as the special teams guy in Syracuse.

Could we pay him more than what he's making at Syracuse? Sad thing is, we could call him the OC and he would still make more as the special teams guy in Syracuse.
IDK. I don't know how much the syracuse special teams coach gets lol.

@Chris Harmon will we continue to use 3 and 4 running backs for the rest of the season. Will Brin get more playing time since we have 3 games left.

@Chris Harmon will we continue to use 3 and 4 running backs for the rest of the season. Will Brin get more playing time since we have 3 games left.
At RB, Brooks and Taylor will still continue to carry the load, but there are definitely situations where I can see Javon or TK getting carries. With Brin, he'll be more prepared to play now that President and Skipper aren't even options...so Brin is the backup QB at this point. But he'll likely only play if the game is out of hand, or if Boomer was unable to play.

@Chris Harmon why the RBs not involved more in the passing attack. Memphis defense know us well once the RB carry out the fake the LB will bail. Ask the coaches will they dump off the ball to the RB on flare and dump off. Memphis will bliz unless you start to throw to the RB on delay dump off.

@Chris Harmon why the RBs not involved more in the passing attack. Memphis defense know us well once the RB carry out the fake the LB will bail. Ask the coaches will they dump off the ball to the RB on flare and dump off. Memphis will bliz unless you start to throw to the RB on delay dump off.
We need to do more of this. And more of using Neph as an outlet too on 1st and 2nd downs. If we run PA off of our standard run look (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs) and pass on those downs just a little, those LBs and safeties will have to hold just a count to make sure Brooks or Taylor have the ball. This will open up the 3 and 4 yard runs up the middle. But the play calling and keeping the D off balance and not knowing what is coming is what does that. Look what the fade pass to Hobbs did in opening up the run game. Look what the streak pass to Johnson on 2nd down did in opening up the run game. The dump to Neph. All of these were on downs we typically have run the ball. It backed the LBs an extra yard off the LOS, it backed the safeties and extra 2-3 yards off the LOS and opened up some space.

I’m not sure why so many of you are so willing to dismiss the idea of bringing Brennan Marion back as the OC. He could help our receivers as well.

I’m not sure why so many of you are so willing to dismiss the idea of bringing Brennan Marion back as the OC. He could help our receivers as well.
I'll hop onto that train. I was thinking he wasn't quite prepared for coordinator yet, but I'm ok with his experience level, despite his age now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT