ADVERTISEMENT

Monty

Got conservative in the 2nd half against Houston. Does the same in the 4th quarter here. 1-4 with only win against an FCS team...go win the game!! He’s gotta go. Team has regressed under his leadership.

Monty is a different coach than when he first got here, I remember he came here with fire in his eyes, I remember taking OU to the limit in Norman. Last year broke his spirit, time for a change. And PLEASE fire Gragg too!

If we fire him now, does that give us an advantage hiring a new coach, and help with recruiting.
Let him finish out the season, if we only have 1-3 wins, then you fire him. 4-5 wins, there is a good debate but probably still should be fired. 6 wins, he gets another year

Let him finish out the season, if we only have 1-3 wins, then you fire him. 4-5 wins, there is a good debate but probably still should be fired. 6 wins, he gets another year

Well then we can probably fire him next week. Arkansas is beating ol miss right now and we will have to go 5-1 to finish the season to make a bowl.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Monty is a different coach than when he first got here, I remember he came here with fire in his eyes, I remember taking OU to the limit in Norman. Last year broke his spirit, time for a change. And PLEASE fire Gragg too!

Yep he’s a different coach. He’s having to coach his own players and realizing that the Baylor scandal has made him a toxic hire any where besides Tulsa. Make no mistake, he planned on being gone with Danes departure. Now he’s just biding time and padding his bank account.

Yep he’s a different coach. He’s having to coach his own players and realizing that the Baylor scandal has made him a toxic hire any where besides Tulsa. Make no mistake, he planned on being gone with Danes departure. Now he’s just biding time and padding his bank account.
Who would hire a coach who had left a scandal ridden team and currently has a string of losses against division 1 teams.

Who would hire a coach who had left a scandal ridden team and currently has a string of losses against division 1 teams.
I think what he is saying is that this job is the closest thing he will see as pay day for a while, so he is just holding on as long as he can.

I realize emotions are raw, but for goodness sake NC, how long & hard did you have to think before coming up with this BS conspiracy theory, not to mention being psychic in reading monty's mind & motivations? We've had a chance to win every damn game so far & I don't recall Monty ever fumbling, missing a field goal or throwing a pick.

"Make no mistake", I also think your inference that Monty is up to his ears in the Baylor scandal which will cause him to not be hired in future is just plain nasty. Oh well, guilt by association is currently the soup of the day.

After being hard-core TU since 1980 and having learned to be philosophical about won-loss records during the Rader & Burns years, these losses hurt me just as bad as anyone else. But better times will come from this coach or someone else. I'll never turn my back on a coach or player with my beloved Golden Hurcs.

Last edited:
This seems to be our norm.

Hire a coach who is successful and he leaves after 3 to 5 years
Hire a coach who is unsuccessful and he stays for what seems forever.

Last edited:
I realize emotions are raw, but for goodness sake NC, how long & hard did you have to think before coming up with this BS conspiracy theory, not to mention being psychic in reading monty's mind & motivations? We've had a chance to win every damn game so far & I don't recall Monty ever fumbling, missing a field goal or throwing a pick.

"Make no mistake", I also think your inference that Monty is up to his ears in the Baylor scandal which will cause him to not be hired in future is just plain nasty. Oh well, guilt by association is currently the soup of the day.

After being hard-core TU since 1980 and having learned to be philosophical about won-loss records during the Rader & Burns years, these losses hurt me just as bad as anyone else. But better times will come from this coach or someone else. I'll never turn my back on a coach or player with my beloved Golden Hurcs.

Who made the decision to not have a scholarship kicker?

If he didn't know Skipper was going to be fumble prone, he shouldn't be coaching Pee-wee much less college head coach. Skipper has carried the ball like a loaf of bread since the beginning. Problem is it's a team epidemic.

Who recruited these qb's? Left Skipper in vs Temple? Teaches to throw consitantly to the back shoulder on pretty much every pass?

If I'm teaching a class and all the students fail at the same thing it's my teaching not their work.

I'm going to mostly leave out the rest. It's pretty obvious anyone associated with Baylor is struggling with job opportunities right now. When your entire institution is lacking control, if you're part of the institution then you're guilty.

Monty signed his extension at Tulsa right as that was hitting it's peak. It also happened before the bowl game Dane Evans senior year. Just to be factual.

Critizing a bad coach is not wrong, he gets paid.

Let's see: our NON-scholly kicker, selected by Monty, hasn't missed since TX, including 4 for 4 against UH;so Monty should know Skipper will fumble repeatedly & doesn't have the ability to stop it-like a disease such as malaria that Dr. Monty has diagnosed but doesn't know how to treat; I for one haven't really noticed a lot of back shoulder throws & would doubt this difficult pass is being taught as primary for young, inexperienced QB's; yes, Monty has recruited these QB's including the xfer from Baylor who everyone says will be our savior next year-my guess is there will be a heated 3-way battle for starter; guilt by association, guilty until proven innocent-at least half the country would agree with you on this one(see B. Kavanaugh Supreme Ct. confirmation fiasco).

It certainly is your or anyone else's right to criticize & others to call it out.

Last edited:
Stupid argument. It is his game coaching decisions and preparation that has many of us concerned.

I love it when the discussion turns from the inability of our former hall monitor at a scandal ridden program’s ability to coach in the 4th quarter to a thread comparing the size of our hurricane flags.

Let's see: our NON-scholly kicker, selected by Monty, hasn't missed since TX, including 4 for 4 against UH;so Monty should know Skipper will fumble repeatedly & doesn't have the ability to stop it-like a disease such as malaria that Dr. Monty has diagnosed but doesn't know how to treat; I for one haven't really noticed a lot of back shoulder throws & would doubt this difficult pass is being taught as primary for young, inexperienced QB's; yes, Monty has recruited these QB's including the xfer from Baylor who everyone says will be our savior next year-my guess is there will be a heated 3-way battle for starter; guilt by association, guilty until proven innocent-at least half the country would agree with you on this one(see B. Kavanaugh Supreme Ct. confirmation fiasco).

It certainly is your or anyone else's right to criticize & others to call it out.

That's the difference between a scholarship kicker and a walk on. The scholarship kicker makes it even in the toughest situations, that's why he is worth a scholarship. He also adds length to his accuracy. Notice our scholarship punter. Kicking matters, always has.

It's not a difficult pass, the back shoulder one. You under throw and go a little outside so your receiver can turn and seal the cb out. Most junior high kids are learning it. But it's not for every situation. The Temple game and Arkansas State game both had interceptions from them. The Houston game had several too, one was intercepted. In everyone of those interceptions our receivers (often Hobbs) had the cb beat and had to come back to the ball. I'm assuming it's because Monty thinks it will draw more pass interference calls. Go back to last year and it is in every game including the highlight reel catch Hobbs made reaching around the defender.

Go back to games last year and you will see people talking about Skippers lack of ball security. I think someone even brought it up in the spring game. If you don't keep the ball tight to your body and with three points controlled you are going to fumble. Holding the ball out and "palming" it like a basketball aka carrying it like a loaf of bread is going to get you stripped. Again something football players learn in junior high and coaches stress at every level. He has had two plus years to address the issue with Skipper including a red shirt year. That's bad coaching.

So President was our savior, then Skipper, now Boomer, next year the Baylor transfer (who couldn't cut it at a depleted Baylor team). Of course if it's a 3 way battle for the starting spot it's probably not much of a step up is it?

This isn't by association. The school of Baylor, specifically the athletic department he was a part of, in particular team he coached, has admitted to major violations, and some down right terrible stuff. He escaped simply because of timing. Did Monty do it? No, but a culture had to exist that would allow it and there is no denying he was part of that.

I want to state again I think Monty is a good guy. He appears to not be the coach for us at this time. Unfortunately his past at Baylor may mean he will wait a long time to try at another school.

Reactions: HuffyCane

The suggestion that he’s “just biding time and padding his bank account” is just plain ridiculous. I know you’re not happy (gee, that’s a shocker) and it’s looking clearer every week that he’s not the guy for us, but that’s a pretty unfair and axxholish thing to say. Do you have any basis to say he’s just killing time and not working hard? Have you run into him at the movie theater the night before a game? Anything? You can think he’s not the coach for us without baselessly attacking his character.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Just as a point of reference on Zach Smith. He very well could be good for us but I think we need to be realistic about it... see his career stats in 19 games played at Baylor.

Completion rate: 56%
Touchdowns: 21
Interceptions: 15

Stats for Skipper in 11 games started:

Completion rate: 57%
Touchdowns: 7
Interceptions: 10

There’s a little difference but it’s hard to draw a perfect comparison due to the 8 additional games smith has started. However, compared to Dane Evans last 2 (25 games) years it’s pretty interesting:

Completion rate: 61%
Touchdowns: 57
Interceptions: 20

Again these aren’t perfect comparisons for several reasons but they are kind of telling of a bigger picture issue with our QBs.

That's the difference between a scholarship kicker and a walk on. The scholarship kicker makes it even in the toughest situations, that's why he is worth a scholarship. He also adds length to his accuracy. Notice our scholarship punter. Kicking matters, always has.

It's not a difficult pass, the back shoulder one. You under throw and go a little outside so your receiver can turn and seal the cb out. Most junior high kids are learning it. But it's not for every situation. The Temple game and Arkansas State game both had interceptions from them. The Houston game had several too, one was intercepted. In everyone of those interceptions our receivers (often Hobbs) had the cb beat and had to come back to the ball. I'm assuming it's because Monty thinks it will draw more pass interference calls. Go back to last year and it is in every game including the highlight reel catch Hobbs made reaching around the defender.

Go back to games last year and you will see people talking about Skippers lack of ball security. I think someone even brought it up in the spring game. If you don't keep the ball tight to your body and with three points controlled you are going to fumble. Holding the ball out and "palming" it like a basketball aka carrying it like a loaf of bread is going to get you stripped. Again something football players learn in junior high and coaches stress at every level. He has had two plus years to address the issue with Skipper including a red shirt year. That's bad coaching.

So President was our savior, then Skipper, now Boomer, next year the Baylor transfer (who couldn't cut it at a depleted Baylor team). Of course if it's a 3 way battle for the starting spot it's probably not much of a step up is it?

This isn't by association. The school of Baylor, specifically the athletic department he was a part of, in particular team he coached, has admitted to major violations, and some down right terrible stuff. He escaped simply because of timing. Did Monty do it? No, but a culture had to exist that would allow it and there is no denying he was part of that.

I want to state again I think Monty is a good guy. He appears to not be the coach for us at this time. Unfortunately his past at Baylor may mean he will wait a long time to try at another school.
Did he leave because the timing was good or did he leave because he didn’t want to be around it anymore? Do we know?

Just as a point of reference on Zach Smith. He very well could be good for us but I think we need to be realistic about it... see his career stats in 19 games played at Baylor.

Completion rate: 56%
Touchdowns: 21
Interceptions: 15

Stats for Skipper in 11 games started:

Completion rate: 57%
Touchdowns: 7
Interceptions: 10

There’s a little difference but it’s hard to draw a perfect comparison due to the 8 additional games smith has started. However, compared to Dane Evans last 2 (25 games) years it’s pretty interesting:

Completion rate: 61%
Touchdowns: 57
Interceptions: 20

Again these aren’t perfect comparisons for several reasons but they are kind of telling of a bigger picture issue with our QBs.

He also averaged 7.8 yards per attempt, which is more than Dane his last season and almost 30% more than Skipper. Some of that is better receivers of course but some is probably being able to hit the longer routes. And that’s comparing Dane’s last 2 years with Baylor kid’s first 2 years.

He also averaged 7.8 yards per attempt, which is more than Dane his last season and almost 30% more than Skipper. Some of that is better receivers of course but some is probably being able to hit the longer routes. And that’s comparing Dane’s last 2 years with Baylor kid’s first 2 years.

I agree, that’s why I said the comparisons aren’t perfect, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

I agree, that’s why I said the comparisons aren’t perfect, but it’s interesting nonetheless.
My opinion, which is worth nothing, is that with a marginally better QB we would have won 2 or 3 of the games we lost. With a marginally better coach and same QB, we would have won 2 or 3 more. A better QB and better coach would be at the high end of that range or more. But I’m not sure this statistical exercise will do more than confirm whatever opinion the presenter has in advance.

Did he leave because the timing was good or did he leave because he didn’t want to be around it anymore? Do we know?
This has been covered a couple of times including a thread on Saturday morning. He left because he thinks he can play but his performance didn’t back that up. He was supposed to be a Texas 300 recruit. He never won the job. The starter got hurt (familiar theme in this offense) and he took over the last couple of games his freshman year. He was the presumptive starter going into camp, but lost the job in competition. Then that guy got hurt too (rinse repeat) so he was inserted into the lineup. He had a few marginal performances then a big win against OU. Two weeks later he was on the bench again. He finished the season with less than a 50% completion rate and 4 TDs v 8 INTS, if you take out the OU game. He transferred at the end of that season.

Reactions: maverickfp
So you're saying he's not gonna be much if at all better than what we already have and Monty can't evaluate talent?

Yes to the first. Not sure on the second. He could be the best ever, but unable to sign them.
That’s why I love statistics so much, it gives you the ability to predict the future with 100% certainty based on past outcomes. Who needs a crystal ball when you have SPSS? :)

Reactions: HuffyCane
Clueless on Smith. Far better than what we have and transferred for the system. Better not quit your day job to evaluate talent.

Yes to the first. Not sure on the second. He could be the best ever, but unable to sign them.
That’s why I love statistics so much, it gives you the ability to predict the future with 100% certainty based on past outcomes. Who needs a crystal ball when you have SPSS? :)
100%? That is message board stuff T:) And all the kids are R-ing these days.

Can you fire a coach after he wins a game; even if that team is among the worst in d1.
I am willing to let him finish out the season, if he wins out, he gets another shot, but he needs to hire an OC

Tulsa has been playing some good competitive football. The lack of experience at QB is the main issue. Even with all the tough losses Coach Montgomery has the team playing hard and competing every week. That means the kids are still with him. That is very impressive to me.

Reactions: 4tu2
Tulsa has been playing some good competitive football. The lack of experience at QB is the main issue. Even with all the tough losses Coach Montgomery has the team playing hard and competing every week. That means the kids are still with him. That is very impressive to me.
I couldn’t disagree more. There is talent on that team. The right Coach and staff just need to be hired to develop it!

They are not playing GOOD Competitive football, the defense is, but the offense is Burns level bad, beating UCONN is not an accomplishment

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT