ADVERTISEMENT

Montgomery given a 2-year extension.

Okay, now this makes sense. No way we get a new coach with half the money of the current coach. For all those who do not believe that the University is either in financial trouble OR has no desire to support athletics should step back and rethink their position before we get into the discussion again.

Perhaps before saying that you should go look at the actual salaries, there is a reason they are giving percentages and not actual dollars.

We were paying Monty about 1.8m so do the math and that's a million dollars a year now.

Here is a list of coaching salaries from the MW which is the closest league to us. We can't afford a p5 coach at that 1m but we can afford pretty much anyone else:

SDSU - 1.05m
Utah State - 1.0m
San Jose St - 850k
Hawaii - 800k (Todd Graham)
New Mexico - 700k
Nevada - 650k

AFA is rumored to be right a 1m

You can comb through the Sunbelt, CUSA, the MAC and find that almost every head coach makes less than what we will pay Monty for.

This sort of slight of hand by our administration, the this is the best we can get for what we give has been going on for a while and not just in athletics. We have a serious leadership problem at this University where several people are just happy to cash checks and blow smoke.

I finally understand where Largent is coming from. I am done with this school. I love it, but it has to learn to love itself and right now no one cares from academics to athletics.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Perhaps before saying that you should go look at the actual salaries, there is a reason they are giving percentages and not actual dollars.

We were paying Monty about 1.8m so do the math and that's a million dollars a year now.

Here is a list of coaching salaries from the MW which is the closest league to us. We can't afford a p5 coach at that 1m but we can afford pretty much anyone else:

SDSU - 1.05m
Utah State - 1.0m
San Jose St - 850k
New Mexico - 700k
Nevada - 650k

You can comb through the Sunbelt, CUSA, the MAC and find that almost every head coach makes less than what we will pay Monty for.

This sort of slight of hand by our administration, the this is the best we can get for what we give has been going on for a while and not just in athletics. We have a serious leadership problem at this University where several people are just happy to cash checks and blow smoke.

I finally understand where Largent is coming from. I am done with this school. I love it, but it has to learn to love itself and right now no one cares from academics to athletics.
Good deal, now stop posting.

Hey Chris, when we ignore a poster is there a way to get rid of notifications that they are still stalking you?

I assume its G$, not adding anything as usual but sure of himself in his nothingness. Just kind of annoying to get an alert for something meaningless/worthless like that.

Hey Chris, when we ignore a poster is there a way to get rid of notifications that they are still stalking you?

I assume its G$, not adding anything as usual but sure of himself in his nothingness. Just kind of annoying to get an alert for something meaningless/worthless like that.
Yeah, yah, you looked. I quoted u, to keep on annoying u.

So, they don't make decisions solely based on what fans think? That is a great idea.
Fans by nature are emotional, generally too biased for short-term results to formulate well thought conclusions or unaware of the bigger picture or constraints.

By no means do I support keeping a losing coach after 6-7 seasons, but I do no believe the university has the resources to base their decisions off what the fan reactions. TU is not U. of Florida.

I think it’s time for a change, at the very least promoting Joe Gillespie to HC would be a logical move IMO.

Last edited:

SDSU - 1.05m
Utah State - 1.0m
San Jose St - 850k
New Mexico - 700k
Nevada - 650k

Numbers don't lie, but our interpretation of them might. News a long term coach who went to a recent conference championship game is taking > 50% salary cut with no O/C shows how bad the "company" is to work for.

I agree the way it was presented was deliberate, but that was my understanding before making my point (which I stand by). There was no need for you to try and "shame" me with numbers that, in the end, do not matter.

Numbers don't lie, but our interpretation of them might. News a long term coach who went to a recent conference championship game is taking > 50% salary cut with no O/C shows how bad the "company" is to work for.

I agree the way it was presented was deliberate, but that was my understanding before making my point (which I stand by). There was no need for you to try and "shame" me with numbers that, in the end, do not matter.

Your quote was "well at a 45% pay cut we couldn't get anyone"

My numbers aren't to shame you. They show we had plenty of FBS options available at that price (the 45% cut), my numbers only show why there was no context given in the reporting. Hell we could get a head coach and an OC for that 1m looking at MWC numbers.

Hell we could go look at say Sam Houston St's coaches salary. Or any other number of FCS coaches. My point was we can compete if we want to, the administration with this "extension" is saying it doesn't want to compete and trying to cover it up as it can't.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Your quote was "well at a 45% pay cut we couldn't get anyone"

My numbers aren't to shame you. They show we had plenty of FBS options available at that price (the 45% cut), my numbers only show why there was no context given in the reporting. Hell we could get a head coach and an OC for that 1m looking at MWC numbers.

Hell we could go look at say Sam Houston St's coaches salary. Or any other number of FCS coaches. My point was we can compete if we want to, the administration with this "extension" is saying it doesn't want to compete and trying to cover it up as it can't.
Yes, 45% was my original number. I'll correct that and keep the same point of what it tells about the employer to candidates.

I also agree, we had options available and did not make a move. One of the reasons was administrative chaos, which adds to the "bad boss" point. Who really wants to walk in to what TU has been the past 5 years? Do we really want someone who does? Maybe, if it's a rehab with loads of talent and connections.

Fans by nature are emotional, generally too biased for short-term results to formulate well thought conclusions.

By no means do I support keeping a losing coach after 6-7 seasons, but I do no believe the university has the resources to base their decisions off what the fan reactions. TU is not U. of Florida.

I think it’s time for a change, at the very least promoting Joe Gillespie to HC would be a logical move IMO.
As I will agree with you that I do not feel they should have extended him but asked Gillespie if he wanted the job, the comment was more of jab at those that believe the fan base should be the sole reason why personnel changes or decisions are made.

I am sure that there are a lot of items looked at and conversations had with regards to coaching staff decisions and the direction of the program as well as what is viable for the smallest D1 university in the FBS. You are correct we are not Florida. They are a public university with a diverse booster base and plenty of public funds to fund the university so that more funds are sent to athletics. We are a private university with a significantly smaller booster base in the middle of bigger public schools such as OU and OSU.

These people should realize what the school has accomplished with what we have instead of thinking we should be Alabama in football and Duke in basketball every year and when we aren’t, go off saying the planet will explode.

so yeah i will continue my snark towards those that need it. Smh

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT