ADVERTISEMENT

MLS and the Messi Impact

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Messi, along with Sergio Busquets, has taken Inter Miami from a last place MLS team to one of the best in the Americas. They are ridiculous right now. Messi has 3 goals and an assist in 2 games. Beyond that is the confidence the rest of the team is playing on top of just better technically. Sad thing is they may not make the MLS playoffs as they are so far back in the standings. I'm hoping other MLS teams are able to lure other aging super stars to MLS. He may be older by Messi is instantly the best player in MLS by a wide margin and he doesn't look content to do the Ibra walk around the pitch until the ball falls at his feet thing.

It will be interesting if this drives players to MLS and MLS sees this as an opportunity to invest real $ into bringing players in and elevating the level of the league world wide....which would of course bring more $$$ to the league.

So the additions of Busquets, Jordi Alba, and Messi have made Inter Miami really good. And it's not just how good they are bringing out the best of their new teammates. Yedlin has been simply fantastic since Messi arrived, making runs into space and getting into the attack. He just had another assist. Miami looks like a European team with their passing and movement. They need to get better in their central defense but I'm sure they'll bring a quality CB in.

BTW Yedlin just made a 60 yd run tracking back in D to catch a Charlotte striker from behind and dispossess him of the ball.

Reactions: drboobay
So the additions of Busquets, Jordi Alba, and Messi have made Inter Miami really good. And it's not just how good they are bringing out the best of their new teammates. Yedlin has been simply fantastic since Messi arrived, making runs into space and getting into the attack. He just had another assist. Miami looks like a European team with their passing and movement. They need to get better in their central defense but I'm sure they'll bring a quality CB in.

BTW Yedlin just made a 60 yd run tracking back in D to catch a Charlotte striker from behind and dispossess him of the ball.
He cannot be much older than about 30 right? Not shocking he would still have some jets.

He cannot be much older than about 30 right? Not shocking he would still have some jets.
Yeah. He has to get past the unfortunate stigma of being part of the 2018 squad that didn't qualify for the WC so every dismissed him. He's not as dynamic as Dest coming out of the right FB spot, but he's still pretty damn good and, IMO, the best option as Dest's backup. If you can watch an Inter Miami game and see how he interacts and plays off of Messi and Busquets. And I haven't mentioned it before but Tata Martino has also had an instant impact as Inter's coach. It would have been nice if the US would have looked to him for the next WC cycle. I believe the players we have in the pool are a perfect fit for Martino's style.

Yeah. He has to get past the unfortunate stigma of being part of the 2018 squad that didn't qualify for the WC so every dismissed him. He's not as dynamic as Dest coming out of the right FB spot, but he's still pretty damn good and, IMO, the best option as Dest's backup. If you can watch an Inter Miami game and see how he interacts and plays off of Messi and Busquets. And I haven't mentioned it before but Tata Martino has also had an instant impact as Inter's coach. It would have been nice if the US would have looked to him for the next WC cycle. I believe the players we have in the pool are a perfect fit for Martino's style.
He was on the 2014 WC squad and was the lockerroom guy in 2022. He was Dempsey’s preferred service in 2013-15. His game has adjusted since then. Wouldn’t surprise me if he goes to the Olympics.

He was on the 2014 WC squad and was the lockerroom guy in 2022. He was Dempsey’s preferred service in 2013-15. His game has adjusted since then. Wouldn’t surprise me if he goes to the Olympics.
Yedlin? You think they'd use him for one of the 3 roster exemptions (Olympics is technically an U23 event and squads get a limited # of roster exemptions for the age group)?

And I didn't realize he was part of the squad back in 2014.

Yedlin? You think they'd use him for one of the 3 roster exemptions (Olympics is technically an U23 event and squads get a limited # of roster exemptions for the age group)?

He played a lot per memory.

Reactions: HuffyCane

Yes. The US has a history of rewarding the “lockerroom guy” with an Olympic spot. It’s part of building the culture for the guys in their teens and early twenties. Frankie, Agoos, others. Brian McBride went in 2008 long past his prime. And that’s how long it’s been since we’ve been to the Olympics.

Charlie Davies, Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley even Freddy Adu were U23.

Tata interviewed the first time we hired Greggg and was contacted this time around. He wanted too much money and probably too much control. He went to Mexico instead where he was a disaster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT