ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Golf

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Kelly Hines is reporting TU will eliminate the men's golf program effective July 1st for financial reasons. Just wow... :(

Hello Title 9.
It's more than that. TU barely made the cut as a D-1 school (7 men's 7 women's sports). TU's endowment was over $1B a few years ago but the value has shrunk with the energy $ decline recently. I am wondering if the Williams announcement yesterday and this announcement are related in any way, i.e. Williams was a significant donor to that particular program?

Do we see a savior donor come out of nowhere donating enough $$$ to keep the program afloat for say, 3 years in hopes that the endowment and enrollment rebounds?

I didn't think the University used it's endowment to supplement the cost of non-revenue sports. One would think that the added money being generated from the AAC would help fund those non-revenue sports.

Yeah, we don't use the endowment that say. Perhaps it's a case of you have to spend money to make money and the high cost of football and basketball in the AAC (and the other non-revenue sports) forces us to eliminate some other costs.

I didn't think the University used it's endowment to supplement the cost of non-revenue sports. One would think that the added money being generated from the AAC would help fund those non-revenue sports.
My understanding from a budget development standpoint is the endowment is sort of a safety net. Enrollment revenue projections, housing and dining revenue projections, etc. are what the university uses to base what it can spend in any given FY. In years where those revenue projections run short (like this year, enrollment is slightly down) and/or unexpected increases in costs (like energy costs, happened in 2005-06), the university will freeze spending including hiring in a lot of areas to come in under revised projections for revenue vs. expenditures. They can use interest off of the endowment to supplement income if they need to although they don't really like to do that. Having sat in budget development meetings for a sizable dept. at TU as well as at a couple of other institutions, especially in projected "lean years", they try to squeeze every drop of juice out of the lemon. Plus, if this was a down year for enrollment, that has a 4-5 year impact on the budget

Not that I think this is what affected the golf program but the recession in general is what hit most endowments so hard over the last decade.

Our endowment has been back over 1B for a couple of years. 2013 was an exceptional year for investing.

speculation is that this is to fund the per-athlete, cost of attendance stipend that the P-5 passed and the AAC agreed to match, i.e., reducing the total number of scholarships, plus the program savings as well
Not related to Title IX. The $$$ from the P-5 bowls and network affiliations force the Others to find ways to raise $$ to compete.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
If athletes are going to get "paid", this money should come directly from the ncaa.

1. They could control illegal payment violations
2. This would ensure distribution equality. Not every school has the budget to pay the same as other schools.

I hate to mix politics in the sports thread, because I don’t discuss politics anymore, but isn’t this a wonderful example of how an increase in minimum wage increases unemployment?

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Says the liberals.

It's a governing body interfering with minimum compensation and an alleged consequence being less people receiving compensation.

The scholarship student athletes at TU receive a quality education for free. People on minimum wage can't afford to live. Let's not have a political conversation on here. Please go to Crossfire and let rivalcane blame the immigrants.

Says the liberals.

It's a governing body interfering with minimum compensation and an alleged consequence being less people receiving compensation.

Say the people who have a functional understanding of macroeconomics. College athletics had artificial wage constraints before and are moving to different artificial constraints, both of which are artificial and outside the effects of markets. They have no relationship to transactions involving a market. The argument for minimum wage is that the market for low wage positions is not well functioning (it's not an efficient market) which of course isn't a debate in an environment where the wages are explicitly controlled. Whether artificial wage hikes will produce more or less jobs depends on where wages are relative to the optimal considered from an economy wide (rather than just an individuAl company) perspective. None of that has anything to do with college athletics.

Reactions: Gold*
Yawn. Not really feeling the need to flop my credentials out to compare is why I don’t discuss politics anymore, but I can assure you my understanding of economics, finance and nonprofit reporting and the example are just fine. Screw with prices, you end up with shortages.

Watching the death spiral of NCAA/ESPN is somewhat schadenfreude – licious if it were not for its effect Olympic and other nonrevenue generating athletics.

My sources tell me it won't be gone for long.

GO TU!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT