ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis

Memphis fans justifying a coach for being completely immoral and doing things they shouldn’t be doing? Color me shocked. He’s a snake just like the previous coaches at Memphis before him.

Memphis fans justifying a coach for being completely immoral and doing things they shouldn’t be doing? Color me shocked. He’s a snake just like the previous coaches at Memphis before him.

I don't know that I would call Josh or Tubby a 'snake'

I mean Kelvin Sampson was fired and given a 'show cause' order and folks act like he's some 'grandfather of the game' all while Penny isn't breaking any actual rules...it reeks of schadenfreude to me

I think ruined is a little strong. I prefer the current gentlemen’s agreement even if it’s not followed as much as many would like to believe. I don’t consider football “ruined” and there’s obviously no such code.

I don't know that I would call Josh or Tubby a 'snake'

I mean Kelvin Sampson was fired and given a 'show cause' order and folks act like he's some 'grandfather of the game' all while Penny isn't breaking any actual rules...it reeks of schadenfreude to me
The rule Kelvin broke that he got caught at is not as big of a deal. He texted when he shouldn't have. Anybody who can't see the difference is blind. I'm not up on it, but I believe a lot of the rules he broke have been changed/edited.

Usually their is no rule against a code, that's why it's called a code. So much would be ruined if we operated that way.

the NCAA has a rule book and everything...we will live in the grey areas and that's fine with me...just don't blatantly cross it.

The rule Kelvin broke he got caught at is not as big of a deal. He texted when he shouldn't have. Anybody who can't see the difference is blind. I'm not up on it, but I believe a lot of the rules he broke have been changed/edited.

so breaking an actual rule and being slapped with a 'show cause' is no biggie...but recruiting well at Memphis? fry that sum-bish!

the NCAA has a rule book and everything...we will live in the grey areas and that's fine with me...just don't blatantly cross it.
That's how a code/agreement, whatever you wish to call it, gets destroyed. Everybody crosses it in little ways, then it get's altered. Then everybody crosses the altered agreement in little ways again. Eventually there is no agreement left.

so breaking an actual rule and being slapped with a 'show cause' is no biggie...but recruiting well at Memphis? fry that sum-bish!
Keep convincing yourself. Why did they alter those rules? Because they were silly rules the way they were stated.

Reactions: TU4ever2
at no point did David Rudd tell Tubby "sure, we'll put up 'crowds' of 5000 that cause Memphis to miss it's 800k Grizz payment for 3-4 year while you go recruit three-star kids"

and oh yeah, I'd LOVE to see this proof you have that Penny is cheating...in fact, just forward it to the NCAA.

I would add the AD who wanted to keep Tubby (Bowen) was asked to resign last week and he did.

He told them it was a four year plan, this is well known as is the fact that Tubby's teams make the tourney by year three.

PENNY directly told kids not to go there. Penny wanted the job before Tubby was hired. Penny has been shady the whole way and wanted Brown on staff.

The NCAA isn't who Penny needs to be worried about. The FBI is, but Penny has never been the type to think the rules apply to him and I doubt he will start now. He did sue the state to make sure he could play his hand picked high school all star team for a state championship.

I have no idea why Memphis hired Tubby it was a bad fit for them culturally. Tubby accepted because its 2.9 million and he is successful where ever he goes. As Penny benefited from this year and Beard the previous two.

Memphis is happy. As I stated before following the rules isn't a priority to the fan base. They will take the wins now, ignore the vacated facts and just make their own banners and say they have games on tape. So Memphis will do Memphis things.

They're the Russian Olympic program of college. "What cheating? We crushed you!"

The way they were changed, I'm not even sure Kelvin would be guilty of anything today if he committed the same 'infractions'.

He told them it was a four year plan, this is well known as is the fact that Tubby's teams make the tourney by year three.

no Memphis coach is evaluated on a 4 year basis...and at no point did Rudd or Bowen agree to a 4 year 'rebuild' and I'd LOVE to see a link to prove that statement...

PENNY directly told kids not to go there. Penny wanted the job before Tubby was hired.

so? HS coaches tell kids not to go to certain schools all the time...Pastner pulled Joe Jackson even with his HS coach telling him to go to 'Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss, anywhere but Memphis'

it's called negative recruiting and it happens ALL the time.

The NCAA isn't who Penny needs to be worried about. The FBI is

yet Will Wade and Sean Miller still have jobs...but yeah, tell me more lol

Tubby accepted because its 2.9 million and he is successful where ever he goes.

dude is so good that Minny and Memphis fired him all while Kentucky told him to resign or they would can him...truly a great coach.

Memphis is happy.

and that's why you're actually upset...

no Memphis coach is evaluated on a 4 year basis...and at no point did Rudd or Bowen agree to a 4 year 'rebuild' and I'd LOVE to see a link to prove that statement...

so? HS coaches tell kids not to go to certain schools all the time...Pastner pulled Joe Jackson even with his HS coach telling him to go to 'Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss, anywhere but Memphis'

it's called negative recruiting and it happens ALL the time.

yet Will Wade and Sean Miller still have jobs...but yeah, tell me more lol

dude is so good that Minny and Memphis fired him all while Kentucky told him to resign or they would can him...truly a great coach.

and that's why you're actually upset...

It's called being shady. It fits right along with the Memphis m.o. so no surprise you are for it. Fits r
Penny like a glove since he sued the state to make sure he didn't have to follow the rules for high school teams and his current recruiting strategy, which you are also were fine with.

Haha no he went to Minnesota, Minnesota fired him after their only real success with out cheating...but at least we know why you are here. Go to a high point board if you are still feeling insecure about Tubby. Who I am sure doesn't worry about it with a gold medal, a national championship, a 65% win rate, leading five different schools to the tournament, and numerous head coach of the year awards.

Will Wade and Sean Miller will shortly be sitting at the defendants table. The Feds are notorious for crossing their t's and dotting their i's and getting above 90% conviction rate. They typically start at the bottom and work their way up. What's comical is your attitude is exactly what is sending people to the penitentiary in this investigation.

I could care less if Memphis is happy or sad. I know Memphis fans truly believe the world revolves around their cheating basketball program, but it doesn't. Which is why you are on this board and others, with a few other Memphis fans, trying to convince everyone that their world should be focused on the Penny faithful.

In three years we'll see where your program is but past performance and current indicators say probation.

Go to a high point board if you are still feeling insecure about Tubby. Who I am sure doesn't worry about it with a gold medal, a national championship, a 65% win rate, leading five different schools to the tournament, and numerous head coach of the year awards.

Tubby returned to the place he played to try and lead them to NCAA glory...I wish him the best in that.

Penny returned to the place he played to try and lead them to NCAA glory...I'm sure High Point fans wish the same for us since we're not only the reason he's there but also the one's funding his salary.

I wish Tubby and Penny lots of luck. (though I doubt Penny needs much luck these days)

https://tenor.com/G4Y1.gif

Btw, how do you embed a gif on this thing?
tenor.gif

^ pretty accurate...

Bottom line is that Penny will do well ,especially with Memphis kids. But it is hard for us to forget that Penny hurt the University of Memphis and Tubby pretty bad for a couple of years persuading Memphis kids not to play for Tubby so he might get the job if Tubby collapsed the program. I don't see anything illegal in Penny's recruiting at this point. We just need to meet on the hardwood.

The way they were changed, I'm not even sure Kelvin would be guilty of anything today if he committed the same 'infractions'.
If my recollection of his offenses is correct, he would not be guilty of anything other than working hard recruiting.

Probably depends on NCAA waivers. I’m still hoping one of our guards shows they can shoot the ball at around .400

Our best year should be Manny's Senior year. But I have seen teams peak a year early if they gel. KES' waiver would really help both years.

Our best year should be Manny's Senior year. But I have seen teams peak a year early if they gel. KES' waiver would really help both years.

Yeah but I think that's a win win either way for Tulsa. If he has to sit our classes are much more balanced.

Not sure how anyone can objectively say the Penny hire wasn’t worth the risk, even if he didn’t land this recruiting class.

As the great Dean Smith once said...”I just call the plays...and then let the recruiting take over”.

They will be better than most AAC teams at every position. It will be interesting to see how the great AAC coaches (like Marshall and Sampson) battle against them.

Last year with Tubby's leftover slaw and 3 3 star freshmen (2 that are under 5'10), Penny was 2-0 vs Marshall and 0-2 vs Houston. Houston was a Top 10 team that had to win in the last minute at the Conference Semifinal. What do you think the outcome will be when Penny has equal or better talent?

He took a team coached by a supposed Hall of Fame coach that was ranked #161, added 3 3 star freshmen, and made them an NIT team that ended ranked #58. People sleep on his actual coaching ability.

Yeah but I think that's a win win either way for Tulsa. If he has to sit our classes are
much more balanced.
The other side of that equation is somewhat more blunt....The most important game
is this one, and the most important season is....Yep, THIS ONE! We prepare for the
future, but it is not always prudent to live in it......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT