ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis

lawpoke87

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
Now has the #1 recruiting class in the country. I could coach that group to the tourney.

Lunardi already has them as a # 4 seed in the tournament and a possible surprise Final Four . Memphis paid off Tubby to get the nations's best recruiting class. They may sell out the entire Fed EX forum for the season which would pay off Tubby in about 30 seconds and have a lot left over. Gragg needs to watch how this is done. Just got millions of PR for the University as well. Let's just beat their ass.

NCAA has been neutered. Programs have zero fear and rightfully so. Memphis will make millions off it's basketball program and get a slap on the wrist at most if caught breaking the rules.....and some were debating whether replacing Tubby with Penny was a good move.

honestly, it all started with Penny landing his Memphis kids that played for him like Wiseman and Jeffries...that made recruiting Ellis and Precious a LOT easier I'd think.

Penny got us Wiseman and Jeffries...but Mike Miller got us Ellis and Precious. Dude is a recruiting machine.

Last edited:
honestly, it all started with Penny landing his Memphis kids that played for him like Wiseman and Jeffries...that made recruiting Ellie and Precious a LOT easier I'd think.

Penny got us Wiseman and Jeffries...but Money Bags got us Ellis and Precious. Dude is a recruiting machine.
FIFY

Not sure how anyone can objectively say the Penny hire wasn’t worth the risk, even if he didn’t land this recruiting class.

As the great Dean Smith once said...”I just call the plays...and then let the recruiting take over”.

They will be better than most AAC teams at every position. It will be interesting to see how the great AAC coaches (like Marshall and Sampson) battle against them.

Last edited:
How many years probation will it get them? Penny is dirty.

How many years probation will it get them? Penny is dirty.

Based on how the FBI probes are going? None, the NCAA seems to have taken the stance of backing away for illegal payments to players now. And worst case, they seem to punish HCs instead of programs.

Based on how the FBI probes are going? None, the NCAA seems to have taken the stance of backing away for illegal payments to players now. And worst case, they seem to punish HCs instead of programs.

So penny in stripes? Pretty sure that's where Arizona and LSU are about to find their coaches.

The situation reminds me of the whole FIFA investigation. The feds have decided enough is enough, the coaches feel privileged and aren't really trying to hide it. The FBI will pick them off and play them against each other. If it keeps going like it is Congress will notice, then legislation that will hit the schools in their federal money. Whatch how fast it gets cleaned up then.

So penny in stripes? Pretty sure that's where Arizona and LSU are about to find their coaches.

The situation reminds me of the whole FIFA investigation. The feds have decided enough is enough, the coaches feel privileged and aren't really trying to hide it. The FBI will pick them off and play them against each other. If it keeps going like it is Congress will notice, then legislation that will hit the schools in their federal money. Whatch how fast it gets cleaned up then.

like how that whole academic fraud thing was gonna take down UNC?

like how that whole academic fraud thing was gonna take down UNC?

Yes because you know the FBI were arresting coaches over it and sending them to prison.......

No I mean exactly like FIFA where everyone knew what was going on, knew it had been going on for a long time, thought they were immune to legal consequences, and ended up in US court where we call the game soccer. While all the honest people celebrated and laughed.

The government wants its cut, if you're Al Capone, Wesley Snipes, Willie Nelson, or a NCAA basketball team. Right now this federal investigation into what the NCAA schools are doing (which includes the admissions' scandal) doesn't appear to be slowing down, but rather is gaining momentum, a longer and longer line of targets, and bigger budgets.

But yeah that's the same as a 5 investigator and underfunded NCAA enforcement action that caved to the tarheels.

I have no idea if UM is risking probation. But, if so, SMU should be a cautionary tale - zero NCAA wins during the Brown period including his successor, followed by a bottom 4 finish in the AAC this year.

I don't have a problem with UM chasing the top spot. I do think it will be interesting to see the contrast with CUSA, when UM was untouchable. The AAC is a better league top to bottom (excluding ECU and Tulane). And, having watching Penny coach here this year, I don't think he has any bench skills, which means road wins will be hard to achieve even if he has superior talent. Bring it on, I say.

Reactions: I.I.
I have no idea if UM is risking probation. But, if so, SMU should be a cautionary tale - zero NCAA wins during the Brown period including his successor, followed by a bottom 4 finish in the AAC this year.

I don't have a problem with UM chasing the top spot. I do think it will be interesting to see the contrast with CUSA, when UM was untouchable. The AAC is a better league top to bottom (excluding ECU and Tulane). And, having watching Penny coach here this year, I don't think he has any bench skills, which means road wins will be hard to achieve even if he has superior talent. Bring it on, I say.

Yes the past history of one and done college kids is not that great. Even Duke and Kentucky have struggled with them before. Arizona hasn't had much success. LSU with Ben Simmons is what I am thinking, or Indiana this last year.

really? I was impressed watching Penny sweep Gregg Marshall/WSU along with beating UConn/Dan Hurley and Temple/Fran Dunphy last season with Tubby's kids...now we get to see how well he does with HIS kids.

I can tell you Memphis isn't expecting 33-3 like the Calipari days...the AAC is too strong for that...10Ls wouldn't even shock me.

23-8 regular season
2-1 AAC tourney
2-1 NCAA tourney

27-10 NCAA Sweet 16...I could see that.

Long distance information get in touch with my Penn-ee;
He's the only one who'd take this job in Memphis, Tennessee.
Recruiting is his strong suit; coaching not so much;
One thing's for sure, before he's through, his school will be in Dutch.

Reactions: Henry Kendall

:joy::joy::joy:

now THAT'S funny...it's funny because Penny out coached Tubby Smith in his first season.

Tubby's best season at Memphis 21-13 (10-8) with an RPI of 108 and no post season.

Penny's first season coaching Memphis 22-14 (11-7) with an RPI of 58 and an NIT 2nd round appearance.

now we get to see what he can do with HIS kids...

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
This recruiting class is a huge bonus for all the teams in the league. Once the games begin, expect huge crowds when Memphis visits all the conference teams. I think recruiting has improved for most of the programs in the AAC. Our class looks legit. A packed Fed EX Forum enhances the perception of the league.

Reactions: TU4ever2
now THAT'S funny...it's funny because Penny out coached Tubby Smith in his first season.

Tubby's best season at Memphis 21-13 (10-8) with an RPI of 108 and no post season.

Penny's first season coaching Memphis 22-14 (11-7) with an RPI of 58 and an NIT 2nd round appearance.

now we get to see what he can do with HIS kids...

Tubby would have had them in the tourney this year.

Penny will have them on post season ban by year three.

Tubby would have had them in the tourney this year.

Penny will have them on post season ban by year three.

Tubby recruits aren't going to get you to the tourney these days because it's not 2005 anymore...nor could Tubby's squads fill FedExForum...Penny and his recruits will do both all while bringing Memphis the national spotlight.

Memphis didn't even pull an post season ban during the Calipari years...

plus, you have to remember Penny's first class at Memphis was ranked #31 I believe by 24/7 and featured kids Tubby would have never been able to land like...

https://247sports.com/Player/Tyler-Harris-85199/high-school-147758/
https://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Lomax-92337/high-school-177437/
https://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Boyce-92186/high-school-177243/
https://247sports.com/Player/Jayden-Hardaway-93897/high-school-179442/
and a four-star Louisville Transfer
https://247sports.com/Player/Lance-Thomas-86100/high-school-151423/

this #1 ranked class will be joining a talented group.

Last edited:
Reactions: TulsaFan2000
Tubby recruits aren't going to get you to the tourney these days because it's not 2005 anymore...nor could Tubby's squads fill FedExForum...Penny and his recruits will do both all while bringing Memphis the national spotlight.

Memphis didn't even pull an post season ban during the Calipari years...

plus, you have to remember Penny's first class at Memphis was ranked #31 I believe by 24/7 and featured kids Tubby would have never been able to land like...

https://247sports.com/Player/Tyler-Harris-85199/high-school-147758/
https://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Lomax-92337/high-school-177437/
https://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Boyce-92186/high-school-177243/
https://247sports.com/Player/Jayden-Hardaway-93897/high-school-179442/
and a four-star Louisville Transfer
https://247sports.com/Player/Lance-Thomas-86100/high-school-151423/

this #1 ranked class will be joining a talented group.

Two posts for this?

Tell that to Texas Tech and Minnesota and the only reason Memphis didn't cop one is because Calipari fled like a two bit dictator to a neutral country for "political assylum".

Hey tell me, of those 5 seniors who left, how much production were they worth this season?

When Penny has to run the program he created I'll judge him. When Memphis goes longer than fifteen years with out having to vacate wins I'll start believing cheating is out of their system.

Tubby was doomed at Memphis the second he lost the ability to recruit the local kids. The second nail was the huge drop in attendance his last year there.

I was a Tubby fan but he made some serious mistakes that directly lead to his downfall

He lost KJ and Dedric Lawson to Kansas by demoting their father only to hire his own kid (who had a DUI at Minny)...he refused to engage with the local media and major donors...lazy recruiting to the point where Joe Esposito was the only one working...and weak scheduling (SOS 17:129 18:116) [Penny's 2019 SOS was 52]

he lost the faith of the fans and Memphis' gamble to terminate him seems to be working out IMHO

If you look at attendance, recruiting and the overall state of the program, I’m not sure Memphis had many options other than to terminate him. Sad to see Tubby go out like he did there. Still not sure why he did some of the things he did at Memphis.

Reactions: UofMemphis
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I was a Tubby fan but he made some serious mistakes that directly lead to his downfall

He lost KJ and Dedric Lawson to Kansas by demoting their father only to hire his own kid (who had a DUI at Minny)...he refused to engage with the local media and major donors...lazy recruiting to the point where Joe Esposito was the only one working...and weak scheduling (SOS 17:129 18:116) [Penny's 2019 SOS was 52]

he lost the faith of the fans and Memphis' gamble to terminate him seems to be working out IMHO

I'm not having this fight, Tubby clearly told the administration exactly what the plan was. It was 3-4 years of a rebuild with no cheating.

The administration agreed to it.

Memphis doesn't like that, they want the fireworks and don't care about probations or vacating, they just make fake banners and hang them in the stands.

Obviously the Lawson's are problems, that's why the older one is on his third school and the dad can't actually get into coaching ranks.

Tubby will have Highpoint in the Dance in two years. Memphis will be trying to avoid a post season ban.

Reactions: Tu Geo and TU 1978
Tubby was doomed at Memphis the second he lost the ability to recruit the local kids. The second nail was the huge drop in attendance his last year there.

Oh so you mean the moment Penny started telling the kids not to sign with Memphis because he wanted the job? Funny how that worked. . .

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Oh so you mean the moment Penny started telling the kids not to sign with Memphis because he wanted the job?

if Tubby wasn't prepared to deal with negative recruiting he never should have taken the job...Memphis wasn't paying 2.9 million to not make the post season.

Memphis paid Tubby like a top 10 coach and he recruited like he was already at High Point.

I'm not having this fight, Tubby clearly told the administration exactly what the plan was. It was 3-4 years of a rebuild with no cheating.

The administration agreed to it.

at no point did David Rudd tell Tubby "sure, we'll put up 'crowds' of 5000 that cause Memphis to miss it's 800k Grizz payment for 3-4 year while you go recruit three-star kids"

and oh yeah, I'd LOVE to see this proof you have that Penny is cheating...in fact, just forward it to the NCAA.

I would add the AD who wanted to keep Tubby (Bowen) was asked to resign last week and he did.

if Tubby wasn't prepared to deal with negative recruiting he never should have taken the job.
From other NCAA coaches, not Penny trying to get a job.

What Penny did was underhanded and not many could have survived in that recruiting environment. I would love to see someone from another board and people from our board for instance, admit there are faults on all sides of the argument(Memphis, Tubby, Penny, etc.) Rarely is there an argument that isn't like that. Everything doesn't have to be a zero sum game like politics has become.

Last edited:
From other NCAA coaches, not Penny trying to get a job.

What Penny did was underhanded and not many could have survived in that recruiting environment. I would love to see someone from another board and people from our board, for instance, admit there are faults on all sides of the argument(Memphis, Tubby, Penny, etc.) Rarely is there an argument that isn't like that. Everything doesn't have to be a zero sum game like politics has become.

I don't believe Penny is paying players or having anyone take tests for them...

but yes, Penny will recruit kids after they have signed (see Alex Lomax and WSU, Ryan Boyce and UAB, DJ Jeffries and Kentucky, Boogie Ellis and Duke) which is considered a major faux pas but not illegal.

yes, Penny will use his signed kids to recruit signed kids from other teams.

yes, Mike Miller will get his buddies LeBron and Dwayne Wade to face time Memphis recruits to tell them how cool Penny and Miller are.

I don't believe Penny is paying players or having anyone take tests for them...

but yes, Penny will recruit kids after they have signed (see Alex Lomax and WSU, Ryan Boyce and UAB, DJ Jeffries and Kentucky, Boogie Ellis and Duke) which is considered a major faux pas but not illegal.

yes, Penny will use his signed kids to recruit signed kids from other teams.

yes, Mike Miller will get his buddies LeBron and Dwayne Wade to face time Memphis recruits to tell them how cool Penny and Miller are.
I placed that sentence about recruiting environment below, but it likely should have been place with the first sentence for clarity's sake.(From other NCAA coaches, not Penny trying to get a job. What Penny did was underhanded and not many could have survived in that recruiting environment.)

I don't know if you misunderstood because of placement, or you are just ignoring the point. But you brought up a good point with Penny's recruiting kid's after they have signed. Penny shows no moral code in his actions(at least on a recruiting level) which makes me question him so many other levels.

But you brought up a good point with Penny's recruiting kid's after they have signed. Penny shows no moral code in his actions(at least on a recruiting level) which makes me question him so many other levels.

there is no rule against it...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT