ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis

TULSARISING

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Jun 21, 2017
What a dumpster fire, apparently fans have been saying racist and life threatening remarks towards their basketball team on their instagram page.

I'd like to think it wasn't that wide spread. Three or four accounts posting comments doesn't denigrate an entire fan base, but it can get a news story. But it does sounds like the comments were racist hate filled crap.

That said, Memphis has a really odd puffball OOC schedule. YALR, New Orleans, NL. KY, UAB, Mercer, Samford, Bryant, Albany... Total SOS 293. While a dumpster fire compared to where Memphis was, it isn't a horrible team. But if their fans are unhappy now, wait until they hit the stretch where they play WSU, UCF, SMU, Tulance, Houston, and Uconn. This gets ugly.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_223_Men.html

I'd like to think it wasn't that wide spread. Three or four accounts posting comments doesn't denigrate an entire fan base, but it can get a news story. But it does sounds like the comments were racist hate filled crap.

That said, Memphis has a really odd puffball OOC schedule. YALR, New Orleans, NL. KY, UAB, Mercer, Samford, Bryant, Albany... Total SOS 293. While a dumpster fire compared to where Memphis was, it isn't a horrible team. But if their fans are unhappy now, wait until they hit the stretch where they play WSU, UCF, SMU, Tulance, Houston, and Uconn. This gets ugly, Tubby will be lucky if he has a job next season

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_223_Men.html
One game down, and the dumpster fire has quickly spread

Memphis has collapsed. 34 pt loss to a team they feel they should be on par with (and were for a long time).

This is what happens when you sell your program’s soul to get a kid and let the kid’s dad pull all the strings. And I can’t remember if the Lawson’s committed before or after Pastner left. They are essentially the Balls without the reality TV exposure or fake made up no distribution brand.

Partner cratered the program and was miraculously awarded a job at Georgia Tech. He should be an assistant at Arizona where he would thrive.

Looks like Tubby may have lost his team. Sad to see him go out like this after a great career. Leaving Tech for Memphis certainly wasn’t his best decision. Turned out well for Tech in the end as Beard appears to be a star in the making.

Looks like Tubby may have lost his team. Sad to see him go out like this after a great career. Leaving Tech for Memphis certainly wasn’t his best decision. Turned out well for Tech in the end as Beard appears to be a star in the making.
I wonder how things would have gone had he come back to Tulsa

It could have worked, but he would have needed assistants other than Pooh and Saul. He’d get butts in seats. I’d like to see what he would do with our current roster.

My recollection is we tried to get this band back together at least twice and one time it was pretty serious. He didn’t choose us. He probably regrets that. I think it turned out OK in the end, but he’s one of my favorites ever and it’s hard to pick against him. I’m

Tubby's problem has always been his unyielding loyalty to family and former players as assistants which has hurt him in recruiting. In our long run of life, that may not be a negative.

at this point Memphis RPI 165 TU 100
If we win Wednesday the game in Memphis is big.
Maybe I will drive for my first game in Fed Ex forum

An excerpt from the Memphis paper...

(Tubby Smith) decided to sit back and see whether the Tigers could execute the game plan without him being so animated on the sidelines.

But then Memphis responded with what Smith referred to Tuesday as “the debacle at Cincinnati.” None of it worked, and Smith conceded he learned a valuable lesson.

“It’s obvious this is a group we’ve got, certain stimuli has to be used certain ways,” he said after Sunday’s 82-48 loss at Cincinnati, the worst defeat Memphis had suffered in the 75-game series between the two schools.

“It’s my job as a coach to make sure we find those buttons to push.”

Smith appears to have reached a critical juncture in year two of his tenure at Memphis.

The players on this new-look roster openly admitted that they did not run the plays he called at Cincinnati. The fan base, meanwhile, is growing increasingly restless after a tumultuous close to last season, closer-than-expected wins to begin this year and two-straight losses by double digits now that the competition is ramping up.

An online petition signed by a group of more than 150 fans calling on university administrators to fire Smith surfaced on Monday. Meanwhile, another American Athletic Conference road game at UCF (10-4) awaits at 6 p.m. Wednesday.

Figuring out how to best motivate this team, and recover quickly, will be crucial — both for Smith’s immediate future and the overall psyche of the program.

Wonder if they’re running his plays tonight? Memphis up 22-21 at UCF at halftime.

I'm still trained to fear Memphis. I expect a roster of overly athletic players with a couple who can also really play basketball. I know this is not-so-much the case anymore, but my CUSA conditioning is apparently strong.

I'm still trained to fear Memphis. I expect a roster of overly athletic players with a couple who can also really play basketball. I know this is not-so-much the case anymore, but my CUSA conditioning is apparently strong.

Yeah same. I will always be nervous when we play Memphis, especially at the FedEx Forum and ESPECIALLY after the last 2 years when they were supposed to "suck" and they destroyed us every time.

Last edited:
Yeah same. I will always be nervous when we play Memphis, especially at the FedEx Forum and ESPECIALLY after the last 2 years when they were supposed to "suck" and they destroyed us every time.

They don’t have bigs this year that’ll eat our lunch like the last two years. But I’m also training to fear FedEx because we always seems to struggle to shoot on their rims, going back to when Woj and Cal would “battle” and by battle I clearly mean when Cal would wipe the floor with us.

They don’t have bigs this year that’ll eat our lunch like the last two years. But I’m also training to fear FedEx because we always seems to struggle to shoot on their rims, going back to when Woj and Cal would “battle” and by battle I clearly mean when Cal would wipe the floor with us.
Don't forget their refs , I remember in 2015, we would have our hands straight up and still get a fouls called on us . Also calling tacky technical fouls as well

Don't forget their refs , I remember in 2015, we would have our hands straight up and still get a fouls called on us . Also calling tacky technical fouls as well
At that point the conference was still holding on to the dream they were our flagship. That dream has been given up on for the time being.

this thread is an amusing read after beating Tulsa today....Go Tigers!
Not really, game's got nothing to do with most of the posts in this thread.

Go ahead and gloat that we had a bad game and gave the game to you. We shot ourselves in the foot several times over, not Memphis killing us.

Etou needs to get things together or we are going to really struggle in conference.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I’m always so happy when we can serve as another team’s springboard to turn around their season. ugh
Memphis got up 20+ pretty early and Tulane just couldn't run with them. I felt we did an OK in terms of matching their athleticism on Saturday, but it seemed like they really made a concerted effort to hammer the offensive glass against us.

The final score against Tulane didn't look that bad (84-79) because Tulane hit 5 or 6 3's in the last minute and a half. Looking at the box score, looked like Tubby played 3 of his guys who don't get many minutes during that stretch as well (up 16 with 1:36 left). A couple of turnovers and missed FTs combined with some Tulane guys going white hot from outside in that stretch and the game looked competitive. It was so bad and boring to watch the 1st half I switched to a different set of games. Don't let the final score fool you into thinking this was a close game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT