ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile in Gooner Land..

More criminal activity under Switzer’s watch at OU than having an appearance by Briles at the game because his son in law is on the staff at OU. Much ado about nothing, typical for Oklahoma as a state and their “flagship” university. Of course, the Titanic was a flagship as well.

It’s a dumb look to have Art on the field dressed head to toe in OU gear. Don’t care which school you cheer for.

Reactions: TU Pilot
It’s a dumb look to have Art on the field dressed head to toe in OU gear. Don’t care which school you cheer for.
Funny thing is... if you talk to people around Norman, they will tell you that Art is around and has been around.. as long as he is behind the scenes ghost writing the offense no one cares.. but seeing the creature in public causes dramatic pearl clutching...

Reactions: TU 1978
OU hiring Lebby in the first place was the problem, much like us hiring Phil....I think both were awful and disgusting and that stench doesn't wash off.

Funny thing is... if you talk to people around Norman, they will tell you that Art is around and has been around.. as long as he is behind the scenes ghost writing the offense no one cares.. but seeing the creature in public causes dramatic pearl clutching...
It seems to me that if you're concerned about the real world impacts, you (a) don't want Briles to have contact with players, since he clearly has screwed up priorities and beliefs that he can communicate and foster, and (b) don't want the University to communicate that it is culturally willing to put football above student safety, or that women student's safety isn't a priority, by having him associated with the university. Anything other than that is PR. But those things matter a lot in the real world.

More criminal activity under Switzer’s watch at OU than having an appearance by Briles at the game because his son in law is on the staff at OU. Much ado about nothing, typical for Oklahoma as a state and their “flagship” university. Of course, the Titanic was a flagship as well.
It's also not illegal to fart at the dinner table but you can't be surprised when your hosts don't invite you back.

It seems to me that if you're concerned about the real world impacts, you (a) don't want Briles to have contact with players, since he clearly has screwed up priorities and beliefs that he can communicate and foster, and (b) don't want the University to communicate that it is culturally willing to put football above student safety, or that women student's safety isn't a priority, by having him associated with the university. Anything other than that is PR. But those things matter a lot in the real world.
It’s 100% PR. OU thought they needed Mixon on the field to win. Art being on the field dressed in OU gear is irrelevant to wins and losses. He can help his son in law and not be seen by the public.

Reactions: URedskin54
Yeah, this is grandstanding by OU and the athletic dept. Where was their outrage on the Joe Mixon incident? Everyone knew exactly what happened detail for detail and no one batted an eye until the video came out and by that time Mixon declared for the draft anyway. They don't get to be fake outraged over an issue like this that didn't happen at their school when they've turned a blind eye to stuff that actually happened at OU.

It's also not illegal to fart at the dinner table but you can't be surprised when your hosts don't invite you back.
And yet the double standard is still there. Switzer is worshiped by the Gooner faithful despite his misdeeds. Go figure.

And yet the double standard is still there. Switzer is worshiped by the Gooner faithful despite his misdeeds. Go figure.
There's a reason a lot of old school coaches are now commentators. Urban Meyer for one. Is he a good football coach? Sure. Does he still want to coach? Probably. Is anyone at any level ever going to give him another chance at a coaching job? Not likely...certainly not the NFL nor any NCAA FBS school. Briles and his entire tree at Baylor are likely NEVER to be considered for a HC gig again. Lebby certainly won't after this. Kendal...there's no way in hell. And Monty's relationship with Briles along with his failed HC tenure here pretty much destined him to an assistant's role for life. I wonder if Monty ever asked the AD and Pres. here if it would be OK for Briles to come to a TU game?

Switzer and coaches from that era get a pass on a lot of things since the things that happened then were less likely to spark outrage than they would now. I saw a recent interview with Mark Paul Gosselaar (Zack Morris, Saved by the Bell) who talked about a few episodes they did back in the 80s that wouldn't be able to be done now because of the shift in what is acceptable in society. I think every show from the 80s probably had something considered objectionable by today's standards. I think we move on from those situations but keeping in mind to learn from them as well.

I think the biggest problem with Briles is he has never issued an apology for his part in the cover up. And certainly not a meaningful one if he has.

If your point is that there are a lot of Sooner fans who are bad people with screwed up priorities in life, then you'll certainly get no argument from me.

OU hiring Lebby in the first place was the problem, much like us hiring Phil....I think both were awful and disgusting and that stench doesn't wash off.
Phil made the mistake of letting the creature out during bowl prep...

Actually this shroud and distraction for OU just before they come to play us might be a good thing for us. Maybe OU suspends Lebby and the offense has to get used to a different play caller running the show

Reactions: TU 1978
Actually this shroud and distraction for OU just before they come to play us might be a good thing for us. Maybe OU suspends Lebby and the offense has to get used to a different play caller running the show
They want to win, so the chances of Lebby being suspended are zero.

Reactions: noble cane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT