ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Fine vs SMU

TUMU

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
North Texas beat SMU, 46 to 23. Mason had 444 passing yards. 40 completions with 50 pass attempts and 3 TD passes.
I wonder if he would be our starting QB, if we had recruited him over Skipper in 2016. Tulsa and other college programs thought he was too small, while breaking state high school passing records at Locust Grove high school.

Yes...he would be out starting QB and it wouldn’t be close. He received the Jaxon Player treatment from the larger schools. He proving them wrong as will Player. He will be conference player of the year. I’m glad we don’t play them.

Reactions: Tu Geo
If Monty can’t get us to a bowl game this year, I’d gladly take Seth Littrell as our next head coach.

Does anyone happen to know what became of Jason Pirtle, the other half of the "Mason and Jason" throw-and-catch dynamic duo that rewrote all of Oklahoma's high school passing and receiving records? North Texas had about 10 guys catch passes against Smoo, but Pirtle wasn't among them, He had a few receptions each of his last two seasons.

I get that at the NFL level a smaller QB has some serious issues - including not wanting to invest guaranteed millions to someone who is too small to take a 280 pound linebacker sack and live. That the average D lineman in the NFL is 7' tall with a 50" vertical leap. That the average lineback or DE can run down and murder a scrambling QB. When you are picking the top 1% of the top 1%, you can demand size and skill.

At the QB position, I'd take skill over size if I wasn't in a position to sign both.

Reactions: TUGrad06
One of the best college QBs of all time was 5'9" tall and won a Heisman trophy, set a record in the CFL for yardage and was the last player in the NFL to successfully attempt a 2 pt drop kick as a PAT.

...and he and Gerard Phelan were responsible for one of the greatest moments in college football history.

Does anyone happen to know what became of Jason Pirtle, the other half of the "Mason and Jason" throw-and-catch dynamic duo that rewrote all of Oklahoma's high school passing and receiving records? North Texas had about 10 guys catch passes against Smoo, but Pirtle wasn't among them, He had a few receptions each of his last two seasons.

Might be banged up, caught a few passes in last years New Orleans Bowl, and is still Fine's roommate from what I hear.

Might be banged up, caught a few passes in last years New Orleans Bowl, and is still Fine's roommate from what I hear.
Mason is a winner and is proving it on the college level. Howard Twilley at 5' 10" and slow did alright for Tulsa and Miami . Every great player at TU that was "Over looked" in the recruiting process had that one intangible that couldn't be measured by height or speed....a great heart . It is evident that Mason has the immeasurable heart.

‘84. Johnson’s first year. Watched that game in the old Hut in Westby.
I was 11 when that game was played and I couldn't tell you who the coach of any college football team was except BC (Jack Bicknell), Notre Dame (Gerry Faust), Michigan (Bo Schembechler), and Penn State (Joe Pa)...and OU (Cheater Switzer) and only because those were the teams Keith Jackson talked about on Saturdays on ABC.

I was 11 when that game was played and I couldn't tell you who the coach of any college football team was except BC (Jack Bicknell), Notre Dame (Gerry Faust), Michigan (Bo Schembechler), and Penn State (Joe Pa)...and OU (Cheater Switzer) and only because those were the teams Keith Jackson talked about on Saturdays on ABC.

Damn whippersnapper!!

Reactions: bluegold70
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT