ADVERTISEMENT

Local HS Soccer

Union wins 1-0 getting a goal with about 10 minutes left on a log ball to the 9 who did a great job of holding the ball up and slipping a nice ball to the top of the 6 to the 10 who made a great run and then slipped the ball past the BK keeper. It was probably the most excited I've seen the Union players all season. Union really controlled the game in the 2nd half. I think BK had two shots the entire 2nd half but neither was on goal.

Not sure how many of you know who Matt Trotter is. He holds a Pro referee credential and he does a lot of AR assignments in USL. He was the center for the boys game and did a nice job and kept good control and made sure emotions didn't get too out of control or heated. It was one of the better officiated games I've seen this year. He was the AR in the girls game and there was some controversy. BK scored a late goal in that one to tie the game. Off a corner ball bounces around the box and gets headed towards the goal. Ball gets cleared off the line by a defender, referee awards the goal. Trotter stays on the goal line and waves his flag and pretty sure he told the ref the ball didn't completely cross the line. Ref didn't care and let the goal stand. BK ended up winning in OT. Watched the replay back on YouTube and I'm pretty sure there is no way the ball completely crossed the line and even more sure that the referee was in no position to make that determination on his own.

Anyway much needed win for the boys who were able to celebrate senior night properly. And a little breathing room for playoffs. Still a chance to win district with a win in the next two vs Sand Springs (who lost 7-0 to Southmoore tonight) and Jenks (who beat Bixby 4-0).

Southmoore may have entered the discussion for state title contenders. Apparently they've been playing without a kid who has been to USYNT U16 ID camp. His first game back was Tuesday bs Union. The kid can play. They've got decent players in other aces but this kid makes them go. Probably comparable to McKennie in terms of style of play. Bixby and Jenks both got off easy as this kid didn't play against them.

Big shock of the night: Capitol Hill beat Edmond North. This would be like Liechtenstein beating Italy in Euro group play.

Union @ Sand Springs tonight. Hope the boys show up and play well, if they do they shouldn't have a problem. Sand Springs is currently 0-5 in district and -12 in the margin points (I believe they are capped at +/- 5 per game). They lost 7-0 to Southmoore on Friday. Somehow they managed to take Bixby to PKs.

Jenks plays Southmoore tonight in Jenks. A Jenks win would likely knock Southmoore out of the playoffs which would probably be a huge relief to many teams in the state. As I said Southmoore was playing without one of the best players in the state (#7) until last Tuesday and they changed to a pretty dominant ball-controlling, very creative offensive team with him. They've won their last 2 games by a combined 9-0 and we're competitive in their games without him. A Jenks loss wouldn't hurt them much as I am anticipating a Union win today would mean Friday's matchup vs Jenks would be for the district title whether or not Jenks wins or loses today. If Union beats Jenks Friday they'd hold the 1st tie breaker (head to head) over them.

Bixby plays NW Classen tonight. I expect a Bixby win and gives them a little more breathing room for making the playoffs. Bartlesville plays Bishop Kelley. Those 5 teams are in the running for 4 playoff spots in this district and currently Southmoore is on the outside and a loss eliminates them if Bixby and Bartlesville win their games. A loss by either keeps Southmoore in it until the last day of the season, Friday.

Friday will be interesting. You have Bixby vs Bartlesville which would likely secure playoffs for the winner. A Southmoore win tonight and that game on Friday becomes a little nervewracking for both of them. Classen could enter the convo for playoffs with an upset over Bixby tonight. BK and Sand Springs have effectively been eliminated (Sand Springs for sure; BK might fight their way in if the soccer apocalypse happens and Bixby/Bartlesville lose twice and Southmoore loses 1 more and BK wins both theirs).

I might have to take in that Bartlesville game if it isn’t rained out.

So Union lost to Sand Springs 1-0 tonight. I missed the first 20 minutes and Sand Springs apparently scored in the first 10. Union had chances but couldn't find the back of the net. But they did put a ball over the goal line between the pipes that wasn't counted. YouTube video clearly shows the ball hitting a defender who was a yard behind the goal line. Officiating mistake #1. (Yes this is going to be a rant about the clown show officiating tonight). The 2nd officiating mistake was allowing the AR in the far side of the field from us near a Union game. He was the same ref for the BL/Union girls game and AR for the boys that night. He is objectively incapable of keeping up with the speed of play at the 6A level. He flagged 4-5 offside calls that replay will show clearly were not anywhere close to being offside while at the same time lagging 4-5 yds behind the flow of play and where the backline was set up. The bigger mistake was the center acknowledge this guy's calls. Another mistake was a Union player getting around the defender wide and getting to the goal line to center a ball In the box, called for going out...the AR flagged this from about the top of the box. Worst mistake, and again clearly on video, was him convincing the ref to waive off a tying Union goal with 20 seconds left. Ref counted the goal, AR was about to and then decided to say someone bumped the keeper. Video clearly shows the only player to bump the GK was a Sand Springs defender. Not sure what recourse Union has but that AR doesn't ever need to be involved with a Union game. Also tonight, Jenks beat Southmoore so Southmoore is pretty much eliminated. Also NW Classen beat Bixby tonight which should secure Union's spot in the playoffs but they can only finish 2nd in the district at best.

• Wow
Reactions: HuffyCane
And Union played without 4 starters last night. 1 was still on his red card suspension, should be back Friday for Jenks. Another player was on yellow card accumulation (stupid one too, for shoving another player after the player took down one of Union's forwards). 3rd was out due to a concussion and they're hoping he is back for Friday. Kid is a dynamic CB. Last kid is pretty much a do all player and maybe has the best vision of any of the attacking players. Can also play CB if needed. Really good in the air. My son said he was injured but not sure what that was. I didn't ask his parents last night but then again, none of the parents were in a talking mood because they were so incensed at the AR.

So Union lost to Sand Springs 1-0 tonight. I missed the first 20 minutes and Sand Springs apparently scored in the first 10. Union had chances but couldn't find the back of the net. But they did put a ball over the goal line between the pipes that wasn't counted. YouTube video clearly shows the ball hitting a defender who was a yard behind the goal line. Officiating mistake #1. (Yes this is going to be a rant about the clown show officiating tonight). The 2nd officiating mistake was allowing the AR in the far side of the field from us near a Union game. He was the same ref for the BL/Union girls game and AR for the boys that night. He is objectively incapable of keeping up with the speed of play at the 6A level. He flagged 4-5 offside calls that replay will show clearly were not anywhere close to being offside while at the same time lagging 4-5 yds behind the flow of play and where the backline was set up. The bigger mistake was the center acknowledge this guy's calls. Another mistake was a Union player getting around the defender wide and getting to the goal line to center a ball In the box, called for going out...the AR flagged this from about the top of the box. Worst mistake, and again clearly on video, was him convincing the ref to waive off a tying Union goal with 20 seconds left. Ref counted the goal, AR was about to and then decided to say someone bumped the keeper. Video clearly shows the only player to bump the GK was a Sand Springs defender. Not sure what recourse Union has but that AR doesn't ever need to be involved with a Union game. Also tonight, Jenks beat Southmoore so Southmoore is pretty much eliminated. Also NW Classen beat Bixby tonight which should secure Union's spot in the playoffs but they can only finish 2nd in the district at best.
Where would they finish at best if they won the Sand Springs game?

Where would they finish at best if they won the Sand Springs game?
Union would have been playing Jenks tomorrow for the district title had they won on Tuesday night. 2 legit goals wiped off the board because an AR has a vendetta against the district. And there's video to show there was nothing to wipe them off.

So my son said the team was greeted by a Union athletic administrator and letter from the OSSAA indicating they'll be dropped from playoffs for any discipline tonight. Apparently a parent went nuts on the officials after Tuesday's game and that was the only thing that mattered...nothing about the gross incompetence of one of the officials.

So my son said the team was greeted by a Union athletic administrator and letter from the OSSAA indicating they'll be dropped from playoffs for any discipline tonight. Apparently a parent went nuts on the officials after Tuesday's game and that was the only thing that mattered...nothing about the gross incompetence of one of the officials.
Sounds about right. Frustrating.

Good. Some parents need to learn this isn't life or death. My parents quit coming to my games when I was about 15 and honestly I didn't give a rat's backside. They paid their dues.

Sounds about right. Frustrating.
And all the parents just received a letter from Emily Barkley about tonight's game vs Jenks and what would happen if parents lose it again. So I can say the dad of the player who scored the tying goal with 20 seconds left that got wiped out hopped the fence and ran onto the field after the final whistle. Sand Springs security got to him first. Funny thing is no one confronted the center ref...it was all the AR who we all suspected had some ax to grind with Union from the previous week. I've included the video and if you watch at about 1:38:30 through the goal and then rewind, please tell me where you see a Union player committing a foul that allows the goal to be scored

BTW, the center ref is staring at the play in question

It appears that if the parents can keep their noses clean tonight...in the biggest rivalry game for Union, maybe they can be in the playoffs in 2 weeks. Of course the boys can't get in any fights. I know they were concerned that a single yellow card in the course of play would bench them from the playoffs...because as we've seen, it only takes a single ref with an ax to grind or who is anti-Hispanic, to take them out.

I understand the frustration but parents can’t hop fences and run out onto the field to confront officials. That parent should be suspended from attending matches for the rest of the season imo.

I understand the frustration but parents can’t hop fences and run out onto the field to confront officials. That parent should be suspended from attending matches for the rest of the season imo.
I 100% agree. I yelled at the center and asked him if he wanted me to throw my gear on and slap my badge on so that he'd have at least one AR on that side of the field. But that's about the extent from me. I was hot that night especially after the stupidity of the final call but I am not chasing referees down in the parking lot. Matter of fact I'm the ref that would be sending parents to the lot. This individual was caught on the video if you watch the last few minutes and hopefully the coaches ask him to stay outside the gates tonight. At Union you can still watch a soccer game from outside the gates. But there were a good number of parents that did go over there to scream. And Union has a set of student soccer groupies who might be categorized as soccer houligans in other countries. Pretty sure they have no idea about the OSSAA letter.

Jenks beat Union tonight 1-0. My son gave up the goal in the 2nd half and based on his reaction he probably should have gotten to the ball. Good news is Union didn't pick up any cards tonight so they'll get to start the playoffs. This game was pretty damn boring because Union just didn't play with any aggression at all because of the situation.

My son actually had been playing pretty well up until the goal. Came of a free kick just outside the left side of the box, and a little flick on that had eyes and found the corner. Jenks wasn't great either. Union had some chances but I don't think they had a shot on target. Hopefully when playoffs start Union will get 3 starters back as well.

Jenks girls also beat Union 1-0 in OT. Union had a ton of good looks but just couldn't find the shot past the Jenks keeper. Union actually neutralized Landry Fleeker pretty well.

On to playoffs.

6A Playoff brackets are out:

Union hosts Owasso at 7pm on Monday (Union girls go to Owasso at the same time)Winner of Union/Owasso boys would play winner of Westmoore and Bishop McGuiness on Thursday of next week. Winner of that game would likely get Broken Arrow in the semifinals. Jenks is on the opposite side of the bracket and that side seems to be loaded. Mustang, Deer Creek, Edmond North and Norman North are all on that side.

My picks for the semis are Jenks/Mustang and BA/Westmoore (I'd like to think Union could make the semis but this season and the disruption of BS and kids not being eligible and injured leave me with doubts....there are 2 players who were injured for the last couple games and if they're not healthy for Monday, beating Owasso is going to be a tough task without them. )

The foul, if there was one, was on the player that stepped into the path of the keeper and obstructed him from controlling the ball on the service, which another player then headed into zone 14. That contact gave the pass an advantage and the shooter the chance at the goal. It’s really hard to tell on the video. The match report would explain it I’m sure. If they were cautioned or a foul was called earlier in the game for similar, it might be the right call, even from an AR. You can be six feet from a play in the mixer and miss “the obvious.”

The foul, if there was one, was on the player that stepped into the path of the keeper and obstructed him from controlling the ball on the service, which another player then headed into zone 14. That contact gave the pass an advantage and the shooter the chance at the goal. It’s really hard to tell on the video. The match report would explain it I’m sure. If they were cautioned or a foul was called earlier in the game for similar, it might be the right call, even from an AR. You can be six feet from a play in the mixer and miss “the obvious.”
I couldn’t tell much from the video other than the goalie immediately came running out claiming he was fouled. No idea if the goalie’s complaint prompted the foul call or if the foul was called prior. The answer to that question would be interesting.

I couldn’t tell much from the video other than the goalie immediately came running out claiming he was fouled. No idea if the goalie’s complaint prompted the foul call or if the foul was called prior. The answer to that question would be interesting.
It wasn't called prior. Matter of fact, the referee signaled good goal and blew the whistle to stop the clock.

Huffy, I understand what you're saying but the Union player was on the front post prior to GK and he actually made a legal play on the ball heading it back to the middle of the box. He didn't move in the path of the GK and he is entitled to his previously established space, meaning any contact created was by the keeper. I know GKs get the benefit of the doubt more often than not but there's literally nothing on the video that shows a Union player impeding the keeper and that the only contact actually came from a Sand Springs defender when the keeper was trying to move back into the center of the goal. If you could see the AR on that side of the field, which you can't because of the angle and where the camera was, he actually also started moving from the corner to the top of the 18 which is pretty universal for the AR signaling he saw a good goal. If he had wanted to flag a foul or an offside, he would have raised and waived his flag and stayed in the corner asking for the ref to come speak with him.

The fact the GK didn't even approach the referee with claims of being fouled and immediately went to the AR tells me something wasn't quite right w/ that guy being on that game. BTW, I now have a name of the AR, I have worked with him in the past. Apparently that situation has been the talk of the local referee scene the last couple of weeks and all the refs I spoke to this past weekend at the Blitz tourney, several of whom have been refereeing at much higher levels than I have and many of whom have been HS refs for quite a while, agreed the game was officiated one-sided and that several of the 2nd half offside calls and the waving off the late Union goal didn't make sense. A couple of them even said they stopped working games with this guy (not accepting assignments with him) a while ago because he seemed to take sides in games.

Watch it again. He feigns the post, the camera pans away, then when we see them again, he’s in the middle of the box, 14b, slightly behind the keeper and a poor angle. He leans in with physical contact on the keeper and that allows the other player a chance to head it to the goal scorer. It could reasonably be called back if they had VAR. I wouldn’t. But reasonable refs can disagree.

Agree the appeal to the AR is fishy, but he also could be assuming the field captain would go to the referee.

Watch it again. He feigns the post, the camera pans away, then when we see them again, he’s in the middle of the box, 14b, slightly behind the keeper and a poor angle. He leans in with physical contact on the keeper and that allows the other player a chance to head it to the goal scorer. It could reasonably be called back if they had VAR. I wouldn’t. But reasonable refs can disagree.

Agree the appeal to the AR is fishy, but he also could be assuming the field captain would go to the referee.
The keeper looks like he is over there complaining he was held rather than obstructed. Did they come with a direct free kick rather than an indirect one? Weird mechanics by the centre. He did not look confident in what was going on. You should question any person that wears a hat in a night game.

The keeper looks like he is over there complaining he was held rather than obstructed. Did they come with a direct free kick rather than an indirect one? Weird mechanics by the centre. He did not look confident in what was going on. You should question any person that wears a hat in a night game.
And that could be it. It could have been a shirt grab that delayed his play to the ball. Impossible to see on TV if done right and next to impossible for the refs to see if you are experienced.

The ref deferred to the AR all night. He was in perfect position to make a call/non-call and even signaled good goal.

As a referee the following things piss me off more than anything because they are things you can actually control regardless if you are the center or an AR or you get a particularly physical game or not. 1). Show up in a proper uniform. Last week there was a game where an AR didn't have a credential (they technically should not be allowed on the field without one). He was also wearing white shoes and didn't have a watch. At least the ref in the Sand Springs match was wearing a black hat and had a credential and proper uniform. 2) Use proper mechanics, and 3) Don't be lazy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT