ADVERTISEMENT

Let's give Gun Control it's own thread

Actually, I have no problem with research. Research by city size, part of the country, anything you want. I am not sure the CDC is the right group, but go ahead.

Unfortunately since Congress at the NRA"s urging defunded that research, your permission is not enough. But thanks.

As this issue affects public safety and health, the CDC is a pretty logical place to study it.

We spend almost $4T per year. You're telling me that we need a separate spending bill to allocate $200k to tell us why gun violence is higher in poor and minority areas within the inner cities? I'll take a shot for free:

Drugs
Breakdown of the family structure...fatherless homes
Poverty
Gangs

Rinse....repeat.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
We spend almost $4T per year. You're telling me that we need a separate spending bill to allocate $200k to tell us why gun violence is higher in poor and minority areas within the inner cities? I'll take a shot for free:

Drugs
Breakdown of the family structure...fatherless homes
Poverty
Gangs

Rinse....repeat.

No, I'm asking why you seem so intent of avoiding studying the problem.

No, I'm asking why you seem so intent of avoiding studying the problem.

I'm all for studying the problem. However, blaming the lack of a study on non-funding due to the NRA is silly. Obama just ordered the Justice Dept to conduct a study on smart guns. http://freebeacon.com/issues/justice-department-multi-agency-research-smart-gun-tech/

If the Administration wanted the Justice Dept to study gun violence and inner cities it obviously is easy to accomplish. Yet...continued silence.

I'm all for studying the problem. However, blaming the lack of a study on non-funding due to the NRA is silly. Obama just ordered the Justice Dept to conduct a study on smart guns. http://freebeacon.com/issues/justice-department-multi-agency-research-smart-gun-tech/

If the Administration wanted the Justice Dept to study gun violence and inner cities it obviously is easy to accomplish. Yet...continued silence.

Glad you brought up the new push for "smart guns". Why would that be pushed on us? Isn't the reason law abiding people need a gun is so they can use them wo having to go through some elaborate process to "unlock" them?

Now I'll wait for the anti-gun folks to say something really stupid like "well, we don't want these gun owners to hurt themselves accidentally." :confused:

Glad you brought up the new push for "smart guns". Why would that be pushed on us? Isn't the reason law abiding people need a gun is so they can use them wo having to go through some elaborate process to "unlock" them?

Now I'll wait for the anti-gun folks to say something really stupid like "well, we don't want these gun owners to hurt themselves accidentally." :confused:
As Obama said in the town hall about 'smart guns' it shouldn't be mandatory for everyone. But there is a market for people who simply want to keep their weapons out of the hands of thieves, children, etc... it eliminates the arguments for home protection / hunting. The problem would be if you were afraid the government could harness the ability to make the unlocking mechanism fail remotely. That would be a step too far.

As Obama said in the town hall about 'smart guns' it shouldn't be mandatory for everyone. But there is a market for people who simply want to keep their weapons out of the hands of thieves, children, etc... it eliminates the arguments for home protection / hunting. The problem would be if you were afraid the government could harness the ability to make the unlocking mechanism fail remotely. That would be a step too far.

The slippery slope argument again. Sensible ideas are ignored as they could possibly lead to the federal government will taking everyone's guns away. The US has had a long history of gun control legislation, and until the mid 80's the NRA had been a constructive partner. There are 300M guns in the US now; sensible controls not confiscation, is the only possible approach. But as the NRA raises most of it money through conflating controls with confiscation, nothing sensible can even be discussed.

I'm all for studying the problem. However, blaming the lack of a study.

There's a switch of opinion.

Congress defunded the CDC's looking at this problem as a public health issue. The CDC would have been able to study the problem in the proper context: public health issues that kills 33,000+ people a year. Fewer will trust research from the Justice Dept or DEA as they will be perceived as biased with an enforcement, anti-gun agenda. Strangely the CDC was specifically defunded by Congress.

Last edited:
No switch. I simply believe the reasons for increased gun violence in this areas is obvious and any funding should go into solutions. I haven't seen anyone challenge my reasons or offer opinions as to other causes.

With the CDC and your figure of 33,000 you're focusing more on suicides and mental health issues than causes of gun violence imo.

I would talk to the people who police the high crime areas as well as the community leaders. Those that work and live in those areas likely know the reasons better than any outsiders.

I fail to understand the entire suicide idea and that is the most of the gun deaths. If suicide is a disease it needs to be studied and treated as such. Owning a gun doesn't make you want to kill yourself. A DNR or a Living Will are just a few steps further down the road. Has there ever been an ICU where Mr. Jones wasn't given a little more morphine to make him comfortable?

But for a healthy person, treatment needs to begin long before suicide. Unfortunately, many people are surprised when someone they know does themselves in. Take away the guns and you have to take away the knives, sleeping pills, gas stoves, ropes, and automobiles. I'm sure Agatha Christie could come up with more ways. To it's credit, on Medicare physicals that they ask you questions about depression, destructive thoughts and so on. The VA has hotlines. If you have a good doctor, he asks you about hobbies, exercise, vacations or if you had a good Christmas or whatever. It's partly just talk but also partly to measure your attitude.

With the CDC and your figure of 33,000 you're focusing more on suicides and mental health issues than causes of gun violence imo.

I appreciate your belief, but it was also obvious for centuries that sun revolved around the earth. My view is that instead of presupposing what the causes are, why not look at 33,000 deaths from a public health perspective? At a minimum we might learn something we don't know which might give us a better handle on solutions that can actually be implemented.

Congress cut off CDC funds at the NRA's lobbying which only increases my interest in what they are worried about and what we might learn. They didn't do it to help balance the budget.

I'm sure you are as tired of this subject as I am by now, so let's agree to disagree and move on.

Last edited:
Is the Free Beacon one of your primary new sources? Mine are basically the local paper, WSJ, NYT and Real Clear Politics .

Megyn_Kelly.png

I really love RealClearPolitics because they post opinion pieces from all sides and it does help you get a broad world view.
Megyn Kelly Fox News

Last edited:
I appreciate your belief, but it was also obvious for centuries that sun revolved around the earth

While Copernicus came up with the Heliocentric Theory and it was great advance it was also wrong . He said the Sun center of the Universe . So it just shows that for every latest theory there can be a new better one.

Last edited:
Is the Free Beacon one of your primary new sources? Mine are basically the local paper, WSJ, NYT and Real Clear Politics .

Megyn_Kelly.png

I really love RealClearPolitics because they post opinion pieces from all sides and it does help you get a broad world view.
Megyn Kelly Fox News

I actually was directed to the article by RealClear....by far my favorite political site. Are you saying the JD isn't studying smart guns?

Reactions: WATU2
RC's strength is that they are exhaustive, but buyer beware. As for the rest, I've answered above.

RC's strength is that they are exhaustive, but buyer beware. As for the rest, I've answered above.

Obama posted on 1-4-16 on Whitehouse.gov that he has directed research on smart guns. NPR among others carried the story. Not sure why you would question the Beacon when the story appeared on the official White House web page and was covered by numerous media outlets?

I'm not sure why a gun violence discussion turned into a suicide conversation as reducing inner city gun play and suicide are two very different issues.

Good discussion. Not sure what we disagree on other than Obama's ability to fund a study on both smart guns and gun violence but let's move on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT