ADVERTISEMENT

Lee Greenwood Performing at the Commons!

Thank you, and I mean that. Everyone in my life hates the music I listen to. It’s kind of a lonely musical existence.

This may require a thread on the General board.
People are shocked to hear when I tell them the music I listen to. The more eclectic your musical taste, the more interesting the person IMO. Plus different styles of music open up different areas of your brain and creativity. I may prefer one style or artist over others but it doesn't mean I won't listen to other styles, artists, etc. and appreciate their contributions.

My bad. I guess I don’t get it.

Oh good. I realize I am way uncool, so I felt dumb asking.

I'm worse than you guys. When I read Plain White T's I thought that it meant we were having a white out for the game and I wasn't sure if I still had any white TU gear.

I got a little of my pride back farther down the thread when I saw the One Toke Over the Line video. I saw Brewer and Shipley as the opening act for The Guess Who way, way, way back in the day. That was my first concert.

I'm worse than you guys. When I read Plain White T's I thought that it meant we were having a white out for the game and I wasn't sure if I still had any white TU gear.
I feel like there’s a marketing opportunity for this game to have everyone wear white undershirts.

I am familiar with Plain White T’s because I’m one of the young ones in the board. In fact they were at their peak popularity while I was a fraternity kid chanting “win or lose we still booze” at football games (Todd Graham era). So it’s really cool for me to see them playing before a TU game. Though it makes me realize I’m stepping into true dad age that big hands from my college days are in the price range of free pregame concerts.

I'm guessing you don't listen to much Albert Ayler, or Ornette Coleman tho? Definitely getting into general board territory.
We'll let Gmoney and H.K. do the programming, Jazz and Chablis will really help us correct that image of being elitist snobs :)

Lee Greenwood is one of the few acts we could find with an older audience than our current fanbase.

We'll let Gmoney and H.K. do the programming, Jazz and Chablis will really help us correct that image of being elitist snobs :)

Lee Greenwood is one of the few acts we could find with an older audience than our current fanbase.
It's only recently that jazz became the listening habits of only older elitist snobs. So sad.

In the early to mid 90's when I was at TU, many of my cool youthful scrabble of less financially settled friends listened to Miles, Coltrane, Monk, Herbie Hancock, etc. A number of them were a bit older, in their early to mid 30's though.

Jacob Fred came out in the late 90's I believe. Many of them were recent TU dropouts that hit the road, and picked up a record deal. No elitist snobs listened to them, at least nobody who would claim their elitist union card in the light of day. 😁 They achieved some measure of success in the jazz world.

The crowd that listened to them was likely to have the Sex Pistols & Suicidal Tendencies in their record collection.

Last edited:

All this country music is NOT my cup if tea usually.

That said someone threatened to shoot me at a Dwight Yoakum concert in Mohawk Park 30 years ago.

The only contemporary artists I really like now are St. Vincent and Arcade Fire. Get Annie Clark on the commons and I go all out to hear (and see) every second of it!

• Love
Reactions: TU 1978
All this country music is NOT my cup if tea usually.

That said someone threatened to shoot me at a Dwight Yoakum concert in Mohawk Park 30 years ago.

The only contemporary artists I really like now are St. Vincent and Arcade Fire. Get Annie Clark on the commons and I go all out to hear (and see) every second of it!
Annie Clark could begin the Tulsa series of concerts from folks who lived in Tulsa.

People are shocked to hear when I tell them the music I listen to. The more eclectic your musical taste, the more interesting the person IMO. Plus different styles of music open up different areas of your brain and creativity. I may prefer one style or artist over others but it doesn't mean I won't listen to other styles, artists, etc. and appreciate their contributions.
I am with you though not keeping up as well lately. I like all this stuff.

St Vincent, Arcade Fire, Yes, Lyle Lovett, Sex Pistols, Bowie, De La Soul, Van der Graaf Generator, Jack White, Dwight Yoakum, Roxy Music, U2, New Order, Genesis and on and on. Could go on forever. Is there a genre in there?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I am with you though not keeping up as well lately. I like all this stuff.

St Vincent, Arcade Fire, Yes, Lyle Lovett, Sex Pistols, Bowie, De La Soul, Van der Graaf Generator, Jack White, Dwight Yoakum, Roxy Music, Genesis and on and on. Could go on forever. Is there a genre in there?
I detest LG but I won’t be on the Fulton Collins turf. FC himself would have hated it I assure you. But whatever we need to bring in the unwashed masses I’m for it

Reactions: drboobay
Tweet Carson and suggest them and you might see them next year with some random old like The Pixies.
Damn, you think that's even possible? Really, do you???

Wouldn't really be a family fun time band, with tracks like 'Add It Up'.(You know there will be a largish contingent that will want to hear 'Add It Up', me specifically.)

They had an album come out in the summer of 2019, for the first time in a long time. It sounded a little like a combo of 'They Might be Giants'ish and the old 'Violent Femmes'. Guessing the VF's mellowed a little.

That would be a great throw back show if they would bring them in.

Last edited:

Wouldn't really be a family fun time band, with tracks like 'Add It Up'.

They had an album come out in the summer of 2019, for the first time in a long time. It sounded little like a combo of 'They Might be Giants'ish and the old 'Violent Femmes'. Guessing the VF's mellowed a little.

Saw them at Cains with my wife and nephew a few years back. Going to see TMBG with my daughter at Cains the night b4 her HS graduation. Used to love calling John and John's dial a song phone number.

I’m surprised no one has suggested Doug’s favorite band. 🤣

On the other hand music that can draw new fans in is what we need - that, and a good product on the field. Brad and Rick are doing their part and Monty is not.

So groups like St. Vincent and others in different genres would be something to try.

On the other hand music that can draw new fans in is what we need - that, and a good product on the field. Brad and Rick are doing their part and Monty is not.

So groups like St. Vincent and others in different genres would be something to try.
Wouldn’t it be nice!

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
It's only recently that jazz became the listening habits of only older elitist snobs. So sad.

In the early to mid 90's when I was at TU, many of my cool youthful scrabble of less financially settled friends listened to Miles, Coltrane, Monk, Herbie Hancock, etc. A number of them were a bit older, in their early to mid 30's though.

Jacob Fred came out in the late 90's I believe. Many of them were recent TU dropouts that hit the road, and picked up a record deal. No elitist snobs listened to them, at least nobody who would claim their elitist union card in the light of day. 😁 They achieved some measure of success in the jazz world.

The crowd that listened to them was likely to have the Sex Pistols & Suicidal Tendencies in their record collection.
Jacob Fred was an interesting mix of guys and all great players. Some dropped out, by several of those guys graduated and are still teaching band in the area.

St. Vincent would be a media event with the well placed profanity, queer fetish femme imagery and bombastic guitar. Anti country for sure! And would provoke some great questions from the kids!

I like to describe her as today's Bowie with the guitar licks of Prince and Robert Fripp.

Reactions: TU_BLA and TU 1978
While we're on music and football...does anyone know if there's any effort being made to rebuild The Sound? The band is so small now. As a former member I hate to see it like this. I hope bringing back one of the music programs helps with numbers.

I remember seeing Jacob Fred a few times in the 90s down at 18th & Boston. They were fun and talented for sure. One of the horn guys wore a Larry Bird jersey, which I thought was cool. Made me like em more lol

Speaking of Jacob Fred. They were at the Bushyhead Farm Fall Festival in Kansas, Ok for a reunion show last night at 11p. Thursday, Mike Dillon's Punkadelic played, which is a band that Brian Haas is playing/touring in right now. Just found out a day or two too late. Oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: drboobay
They are working on it. Takes time.
Glad to hear this as well, but it's going to be an uphill battle. The marching band already has one of the highest percentages of students participation as it relates to the size of the student body of D1 universities, at one time second only to Notre Dame. Some of the issues that will be faced is that there are so many schools that provide large scholarships for music students to participate in the marching band, and that's not the model that is not easily sustainable at TU. For instance Arkansas brings a ton of area kids into their marching band by offering out of state waivers and big scholarships for non-majors, the draw is set up early by U of A and their tremendous summer music camps that start the indoctrination at the middle school level; Oklahoma's athletic department funds the marching band and it is basically an entity outside of the music department; Oklahoma State doesn't offer much for scholarships to in state students. but as we all know kids that go there will accept that because they're drinking the kool-aid; and there are so many kids that are simply burnt out on marching band due to the level of commitment that was required to participate in the area marching bands which are among some of the nations best, and thus the payoff would need to be quite high to entice them to continue in college.

My hope would be that they can find a way to get the group to 130-160 while getting the quality up as well. It's a steep hill to climb, but there are folks in place that can make it happen if it's made a priority and the financial resources are available.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2

Wouldn't really be a family fun time band, with tracks like 'Add It Up'.(You know there will be a largish contingent that will want to hear 'Add It Up', me specifically.)

They had an album come out in the summer of 2019, for the first time in a long time. It sounded a little like a combo of 'They Might be Giants'ish and the old 'Violent Femmes'. Guessing the VF's mellowed a little.

You could get They Might Be Giants to come play and ask them to play their adult stuff and a few of their Disney songs for the kids and it would be friendly for all. My wife and I saw them at Cain's a few years back. Flood is one of my favorite albums and my kids think I'm super weird for it. Plus TMBG can provide a few history lessons for folks...specifically about James K Polk...our 11th President

Glad to hear this as well, but it's going to be an uphill battle. The marching band already has one of the highest percentages of students participation as it relates to the size of the student body of D1 universities, at one time second only to Notre Dame. Some of the issues that will be faced is that there are so many schools that provide large scholarships for music students to participate in the marching band, and that's not the model that is not easily sustainable at TU. For instance Arkansas brings a ton of area kids into their marching band by offering out of state waivers and big scholarships for non-majors, the draw is set up early by U of A and their tremendous summer music camps that start the indoctrination at the middle school level; Oklahoma's athletic department funds the marching band and it is basically an entity outside of the music department; Oklahoma State doesn't offer much for scholarships to in state students. but as we all know kids that go there will accept that because they're drinking the kool-aid; and there are so many kids that are simply burnt out on marching band due to the level of commitment that was required to participate in the area marching bands which are among some of the nations best, and thus the payoff would need to be quite high to entice them to continue in college.

My hope would be that they can find a way to get the group to 130-160 while getting the quality up as well. It's a steep hill to climb, but there are folks in place that can make it happen if it's made a priority and the financial resources are available.
Yes. Lots of moving parts. Glad to read that you understand a few of them and are willing to share your insight with everyone.

In the end, funding a marching band anywhere depends upon sustained giving. And TU has not invested in the structural architecture needed to ensure endowed gifts dedicated for that purpose meet continuing needs, as well as maintain unrestricted and dedicated alumni gifts for that purpose. In the end, that’s what you are talking about. They are working on it. It takes time.

Ohio State has 70 years of endowed gifts behind their band. Notre Dane is the same. At one point in the 90’s the Tennessee marching band had a larger budget than our entire football program.

TU’s sporadic dedication to funding the band and funding the people who can raise the money to pay for the band could be overcome with interested band alumni funding such efforts. To date, nobody has stepped up to do that. Band boosters are just as important as football boosters. Perhaps more so without a media rights deal. As for your highlighted problems with recruiting, if you build it, they will come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT