ADVERTISEMENT

Lee Greenwood Performing at the Commons!

Plain White T’s and Lee Greenwood to Perform at TU Football Chapman Commons Concert Series​

10/11/2022 09:00:00 AM | FOOTBALL

Oh good. I realize I am way uncool, so I felt dumb asking.
You can't hear the similarities? My first time hearing it, maybe a third of the way through the song, it popped into my head that it must be Paul Simon, or they got together for a reunion song.

You can't hear the similarities? My first time hearing it, maybe a third of the way through the song, it popped into my head that it must be Paul Simon, or they got together for a reunion song.
A lot of art (including music) is imitation or inspired by previous artists and songs and there is a fine line between wanting to sound like Simon and Garfunkel and using their songs as inspiration and plagiarism (see Hammer, MC; Ice, Vanilla). Yes Hey There Delilah has some Bridge of Troubled Water, The Boxer, and some other S&G song elements but not straight up plagiarized in terms of melody and lyrics.

Belle and Sebastian also remind me of Simon and Garfunkel.

On the other hand, I’d like to see this act perform on the commons.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
So if a jazz saxophonist played it, I could identify who it is right away. Like I said, I’m uncool.
A lot of it is based on chord changes/structure, and how it interacts with the vocals & cadence of the lyrics. So a jazz saxophonist would be harder to hear the similarities. Piano would be easier to hear it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
Nice!! People hate my taste in music. I don’t try to share my music.

There are people out there that like polka and Lawrence welk
We can bring in Weird Al...pretty sure he can do both of those things! And anyone who hasn't seen Weird Al in concert...you should do so not because his music is hilarious but he is a tireless worker and great entertainer. High energy show. We saw him a few years back at the Brady (or whatever they're calling it now).

i'd come to see jackson taylor and the sinners before a football game. they should get everyone riled up

We can bring in Weird Al...pretty sure he can do both of those things! And anyone who hasn't seen Weird Al in concert...you should do so not because his music is hilarious but he is a tireless worker and great entertainer. High energy show. We saw him a few years back at the Brady (or whatever they're calling it now).
I saw him at the Brady but it wasn’t a few years back it was about 25 years back lol

Is there a way we can extend our “stadium fence” & require a TU football ticket to enter the concert/tailgate area? Our attendance would go up dramatically if we did.
The whole point of the improved tailgate is to tear down the fence between the school and the community. If folks want to stay for the game, great. If not, getting them on campus for the first time in decades, or perhaps first time ever, is the point. They will buy tickets eventually.

The whole point of the improved tailgate is to tear down the fence between the school and the community. If folks want to stay for the game, great. If not, getting them on campus for the first time in decades, or perhaps first time ever, is the point. They will buy tickets eventually.
Yeah you can't force the issue. The attendance of the concerts would be minimized greatly if you charged a ticket price for the game to attend the concerts. The attendance of the game would be increased even less. Let those who want to come to the game be voluntary. The increase would for the most part be a one time event, if mandatory. This way it has a chance to increase ticket sales and attendance long term.

As a clarinet/sax player, Buddy DeFranco from the Welk orchestra was one of my heroes. Serious chops.

Contrary, you just earned your cool badge with me.
Thank you, and I mean that. Everyone in my life hates the music I listen to. It’s kind of a lonely musical existence.

This may require a thread on the General board.

Thank you, and I mean that. Everyone in my life hates the music I listen to. It’s kind of a lonely musical existence.

This may require a thread on the General board.
I'm guessing you don't listen to much Albert Ayler, or Ornette Coleman tho? Definitely getting into general board territory.

Ornette Coleman I used to listen to quite a bit in younger days. Albert Ayler…too weird for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT