ADVERTISEMENT

Lee Greenwood Performing at the Commons!

Yes. Lots of moving parts. Glad to read that you understand a few of them and are willing to share your insight with everyone.

In the end, funding a marching band anywhere depends upon sustained giving. And TU has not invested in the structural architecture needed to ensure endowed gifts dedicated for that purpose meet continuing needs, as well as maintain unrestricted and dedicated alumni gifts for that purpose. In the end, that’s what you are talking about. They are working on it. It takes time.

Ohio State has 70 years of endowed gifts behind their band. Notre Dane is the same. At one point in the 90’s the Tennessee marching band had a larger budget than our entire football program.

TU’s sporadic dedication to funding the band and funding the people who can raise the money to pay for the band could be overcome with interested band alumni funding such efforts. To date, nobody has stepped up to do that. Band boosters are just as important as football boosters. Perhaps more so without a media rights deal. As for your highlighted problems with recruiting, if you build it, they will come.
While I can’t give at the “booster” level, I would be happy to do what I can to help the band be as successful as possible. if Dr Anderson (or whoever within the school of music or college of arts and sciences) reached out to alumni associated with the band requesting assistance, donations (beyond crowd funding), or anything else, I’d be willing to bet a number of folks would step up.

Last edited:
While I can’t give at the “booster” level, I would be happy to do what I can to help the band be as successful as possible. if Dr Anderson (or whoever within the school of music or college of arts and sciences) reached out to alumni associated with the band requesting assistance, donations (beyond crowd funding), or anything else, I’d be willing to bed a number of folks would step up.
Donations would definitely go up if you were willing to bed anyone giving to the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT