ADVERTISEMENT

KC Chiefs - Thursday Practice article is all about how impressive Prince looks

Can’t read it without a subscription.
Here you go:

The Kansas City Chiefs’ top highlight from Thursday’s OTAs practice certainly caught quarterback Blaine Gabbert’s attention.

During 7-on-7 drills, Deneric Prince ran deep down the sideline, high-pointing a pass from Patrick Mahomes before coming down with the long completion.

Yes, that’s the 6-foot, 216-pound Prince ... who doesn’t even play wide receiver.

“It was unbelievable to see a rookie running back — especially a big running back like that — to jump, twist and catch a back-shoulder,” Gabbert, the former Missouri Tigers QB, said Thursday. “So he’s doing a great job.”

It’s important to start with all the caveats first.

Yes, this is just organized team activities. Players are not in full pads, and the Chiefs are limited to primarily working on their passing game as they prepare for the start of training camp next month.

It’s still notable, however, what the undrafted Prince is showing as part of his first impression with the team.

That’s an ability to catch the ball ... which wasn’t a certainty given his college career.

Prince, who rated as one of the top size-and-speed-combination running backs in this year’s class, wasn’t used much as a pass-catcher during his college career at Texas A&M and Tulsa. In fact, he caught just 17 passes in his four years at those two schools, topping out at nine receptions last year.

In general, pass-catching and pass protection are skills that young running backs might be most expected to develop over time. The fact then that Prince is showing advanced receiving skills early — especially playing for a coach in Andy Reid who greatly values the passing game — is noteworthy at this early offseason stage.

Reid noted Thursday that Prince has “got really good hands.”

“He’s done a nice job. Again, that’s part of the game. So another part is the running game, which we’re not doing (in these practices) except versus air (no defenders),” Reid said. “And so we’ll have to see how all of that goes once we get there. But he’s a sharp kid. He’s got skill, it looks like. He’s big and can run and has a good feel for things right now.”

Prince also received praise last week from Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub, who mentioned him as a likely option for the Chiefs as kick returner. Toub likened Prince to former Chiefs player Knile Davis, who played for KC from 2013-16 and wore the No. 34.

“He reminds me so much of Knile that it’s kind of scary,” Toub said of Prince. “And Knile was pretty good for us, as he went on — obviously (with) the touchdowns. And so I see him in that role.”

During a conversation with reporters last month, Prince said the Chiefs were one of two teams to contact him after the draft along with the Miami Dolphins. He said he watched the entire draft and was surprised he wasn’t selected.

“Obviously I was getting a little discouraged, going late in the seventh round,” Prince said in mid-May, “but I knew I put the work in, so I knew something good was gonna come.”

So far, Prince has been one of the standouts of OTAs, displaying skills as a receiver that weren’t expected when he first arrived in KC.

It’s been enough for his coach — and Gabbert — to want to see what’s ahead for him in the coming weeks.

“He’ll be a lot of fun to watch in training camp when we get the pads on — the preseason games and the regular season,” Gabbert said, “because he’s definitely gonna be a load getting downhill.” This story was originally published June 8, 2023, 3:36 PM.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article276210011.html#storylink=cpy

This vid reminds me so much of myself when I was his age and fit—I mean we both have 2 arms and 2 legs. Ok, his arms are bigger and his legs faster but…let an old guy dream. Lol

Man, he does look great. So glad Monty’s gone, looking back at how Prince could have been used. Since I’m already a Chiefs fan, it will be easy cheering for him next season.

It’s nice to watch the NFL now and see guys like Collins, Smith, Prince and Paul playing. I went a long time not caring for the NFL after the days of Pearson, Twilley, Largent/Johns, Minter, Scroggins, etc we’re finished.

I’m getting fired up for the college season to start and then the NFL. Hopefully Wilson and staff can recruit and develop more players like in the days of Cooper and Rader.

Not to be a Debbie downer but Pacheco is expected to be back for Week 1. Prince is still 4th on the depth chart at RB.

He could see PT if he moves up to 2nd spot. The tweet mentioning Prince as being next man up comes from someone who mostly tweets about investing.

He only caught 17 passes in 4 years?

How is that possible... ?
At the strategic level, the Baylor offense is the evolution of Yeoman’s Houston offense. It even uses the same terminology.

So it’s veer concepts designed to hold safeties and linebackers or put them on an island.

It’s quite literally a high school offense with about 20 plays borrowing heavily from 1960’s option football.

So 75% of the time, you are handing off to the RB or holding the RB in pass protect off a fake hand off.

If you’ve got a lot of pass play options for RB, then he’s not a threat to run and the premise of this offense breaks down.

A lot of the swing and wheel routes designed for RBs to get the ball in space in other offenses are replaced with the outside receiver coming back to the ball behind the line to use that space and the RB at home to protect in this offense.

The two exceptions to that are an old run and shoot pick play Montgomery toyed with that used play action and another designed to essentially develop into a choice play for the HB and RB. But that was only run when certain LB looks/cheats were shown. You might remember the comedy of Zach Smith running on a roll out and quick passing it over the RBs shoulder when he reached the edge and turned up field. He did that because there’s only one read in the passing game on that play. TE streak. They ran it in the red zone mostly. QB glances at safety after ball snap, if safety bites pass on the TE running straight ahead just inside the hash and freezes or back pedals, then its a dump off to the RB. Or a sack. It’s a high school offense. Seriously, one read with 3 WR and a TE running routes.

There’s one or two RB passing routes in the four or five drop back passing plays with QB under center but how many times did you see a TU QB under center?

So he had no catches because there are basically no plays to get him the ball.

I’m super curious about the ability of Wilson to install his scheme. It might take 2 years or even longer if he has to develop a QB.

Switching to his playbook will be like putting down The Cat in the Hat and picking up War and Peace.

Last edited:
At the strategic level, the Baylor offense is the evolution of Yeoman’s Houston offense. It even uses the same terminology.

So it’s veer concepts designed to hold safeties and linebackers or put them on an island.

It’s quite literally a high school offense with about 20 plays borrowing heavily from 1960’s option football.

So 75% of the time, you are handing off to the RB or holding the RB in pass protect off a fake hand off.

If you’ve got a lot of pass play options for RB, then he’s not a threat to run and the premise of this offense breaks down.

A lot of the swing and wheel routes designed for RBs to get the ball in space in other offenses are replaced with the outside receiver coming back to the ball behind the line to use that space and the RB at home to protect in this offense.

The two exceptions to that are an old run and shoot pick play Montgomery toyed with that used play action and another designed to essentially develop into a choice play for the HB and RB. But that was only run when certain LB looks/cheats were shown. You might remember the comedy of Zach Smith running on a roll out and quick passing it over the RBs shoulder when he reached the edge and turned up field. He did that because there’s only one read in the passing game on that play. TE streak. They ran it in the red zone mostly. QB glances at safety after ball snap, if safety bites pass on the TE running straight ahead just inside the hash and freezes or back pedals, then its a dump off to the RB. Or a sack. It’s a high school offense. Seriously, one read with 3 WR and a TE running routes.

There’s one or two RB passing routes in the four or five drop back passing plays with QB under center but how many times did you see a TU QB under center?

So he had no catches because there are basically no plays to get him the ball.

I’m super curious about the ability of Wilson to install his scheme. It might take 2 years or even longer if he has to develop a QB.

Switching to his playbook will be like putting down The Cat in the Hat and picking up War and Peace.
I think you should probably temper your expectation for the future and have a more open mind about the past. Not arguing Monty was 'good'.... just that you're ignoring a lot of important information that might give you a more holistic picture of what has gone on and what is likely to go on.

• Haha
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I think you should probably temper your expectation for the future and have a more open mind about the past. Not arguing Monty was 'good'.... just that you're ignoring a lot of important information that might give you a more holistic picture of what has gone on and what is likely to go on.

Monty damaged our football program, like Frank did in the basketball program. This was due to the incompetence of the athletic director Derrick Gragg and the university administration turmoil during that time.

We were mediocre in a time of seismic change in the college athletic landscape, when we needed to be a standout Now we feel like an afterthought. That’s the work product of Monty, Haith and Gragg as well as TU administration.

Who knows how many wins were left on the table with Montgomery’s coaching
2 last year for sure...thankfully he did leave them out there otherwise we'd be stuck with him and his lame ass recruiting for another year

Not to be a Debbie downer but Pacheco is expected to be back for Week 1. Prince is still 4th on the depth chart at RB.

He could see PT if he moves up to 2nd spot. The tweet mentioning Prince as being next man up comes from someone who mostly tweets about investing.
The Chiefs have used multiple RBs in games depending on the play call and situation. Deneric being able to read the defense and pick up a blitz will determine his playing time. I know Edwards-Hellaire is still technically a Chief but I expect they will either try to trade him or just release him outright and slide Prince up. CEH's cap number is much higher than Prince's and the Chiefs are in that "Patriot way" mode of trying to save as much $ as possible to keep the key players around to continue their level of success. The current economics around the salary cap in the NFL puts premiums on players like Prince and Chris Paul who can play like they were 2nd or 3rd round draft choices without carrying the cap # of a 2nd or 3rd round draft choice. Where they will get hurt is when they start or play significant minutes on their rookie contracts and then want starter money on their 2nd contracts.

Monty damaged our football program, like Frank did in the basketball program. This was due to the incompetence of the athletic director Derrick Gragg and the university administration turmoil during that time.
I think so. But there is a difference. Frank left us with a truly awful talent level. I get the sense the football talent level is better and we have a chance to be pretty good this season. Guess we will see.

I think so. But there is a difference. Frank left us with a truly awful talent level. I get the sense the football talent level is better and we have a chance to be pretty good this season. Guess we will see.
As we've seen, most of the coaches that have been fired/departed left us with some really good pieces that were being misused or the scheme was just wrong. Remember Monty came in and we went to a bowl game in year 1 and won 10 games in year 2, mostly with BBs guys in key positions. BB won with Graham's guys, Graham won with K's guys....hell Kragthorpe won with Burns' guys and remember how terrible Burns' teams were and how he alienated local HS football coaches, etc.? And Monty's players/schemes weren't terrible. If anything his game management was his undoing and we've talked about that ad nauseam on this board for about 5 years.

Wilson is probably going to upgrade the talent here, upgrade the scheme to something that's exciting for fans and the players, and most of us think he's not going to absolutely butcher the game management aspect as well as allow his assistants to do their jobs and have input into what's happening and how to adjust. There is a very real possibility that Wilson has a Kragthorpe like turnaround in year 1 and we win 8 or 9 games.

I don’t have a doubt that Wilson will coach a competent offense. The real question mark is can he get the right help on the defensive side both in terms of personnel and scheme.

I don’t think that Wilson‘s offense is extraordinarily better than Monty’s was when with of them runs at a high level. Wilson’s can be just as simplistic as the “HS” version that Monty ran. They both believe in relying on the spread to open up the run. They just do it in slightly different ways.

The one thing that really does stick out to me is that as much mediocrity as Monty had, a lot of his kids were ready to run through a brick wall for him right up until the last day. He was a player’s coach. The allegations that Wilson saw at Indiana surrounding his treatment of players and how he has publicly called out players already at Tulsa make me think he’s going to have some difficulty righting the ship if things don’t go his way early. There will certainly be more discipline under Wilson, but that can be a blessing and a curse sometimes.

Last edited:
The one thing that really does stick out to me is that as much mediocrity as Monty had, a lot of his kids were ready to run through a brick wall for him right up until the last day. He was a player’s coach.
A player's coach that didn't adequately discipline his players. Both for stupid 15-yard penalties and lack of dedication in the classroom.

I have no clue if Wilson will be better than Monty but the team needed a change in a big way.

One of the things we know about Wilson is he is a straight shooter when it comes to what he has and doesn't have in terms of talent. We know he's not happy with the RBs and prefers a WR with different skill set and body type than the ones on campus. He likes his OL and QB and apparently really likes his defensive line and DBs. I think we're going to be fine on defense.

The schemes in offense may not be very different, but the guy calling the plays isn't also the guy trying to make sure the right personnel is on the field or managing the play clock. Spurrier is going to be calling plays and I'm sure Wilson will have some input. But we're not going to be wasting timeouts in the 3rd quarter because the HC/OC/game manager can't make up their mind and we decide to sub with 10 seconds on the play clock which then allows the defense to slow play their changes and force us into a TO or a delay of game penalty. I need a calculator to add up all the times that happened over the last seven years.

Reactions: Larry Lewis
The problem with Monty’s offense really wasn’t in its basic design imo. There are dudes that still run some version of it successfully, but they’ve innovated, meshed it with other concepts that work, and adapted with the game. That’s basic stuff everyone has to do, but for us there was very little added or changed year to year. There were times I also wondered if we scout ourselves because my God we had some tendencies.

The problem with Monty’s offense really wasn’t in its basic design imo. There are dudes that still run some version of it successfully, but they’ve innovated, meshed it with other concepts that work, and adapted with the game. That’s basic stuff everyone has to do, but for us there was very little added or changed year to year. There were times I also wondered if we scout ourselves because my God we had some tendencies.
IMO Monty’s offense regressed during his tenure. The offense that he ran in the first two seasons did not continue on. Anyone remember the back shoulder slants we threw to Keyaris? How about the WR screens that we checked to when the other team was playing a saggy zone? Those were our bread and butter and they disappeared under Smith and Brin.

Conversely, his defenses improved greatly.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
Right. In the area he had very little to do with.
The head coach should get credit for making changes when changes are warranted. Not every coach would have been willing to change the entire scheme to give themselves a chance.

Heck, Wilson’s defense struggled for his entire tenure at Indiana.

The head coach should get credit for making changes when changes are warranted. Not every coach would have been willing to change the entire scheme to give themselves a chance.

Heck, Wilson’s defense struggled for his entire tenure at Indiana.
He defends loser TU coaches in football almost as much as he harps on any basketball coach here not named Danny Manning. Why he seems to give Monty so many chances for only having two decent seasons out of 9 is odd. He let Young change the system of defense because he wasn't in charge of it, and micromanaging it to death.

It must be the letter M that he loves, Manning & Montgomery. Any coach not with the last initial M shouldn't even apply for the position of head coach.

Last edited:
He defends loser TU coaches in football almost as much as he harps on any basketball coach here not named Danny Manning.
I thought the exact thing but decided it was a waste of time to type out that thought.

Agree with Aston. Head coach gets credit for making good hires and blame for bad ones. It’s his job to have an eye for talented coaches and get them to come work for him. It’s almost more important than him being a good coach himself. He did other things poorly, but if the defense is good the head coach gets some of the credit for hiring the defensive mastermind.

He defends loser TU coaches in football almost as much as he harps on any basketball coach here not named Danny Manning. Why he seems to give Monty so many chances for only having two decent seasons out of 9 is odd. He let Young change the system of defense because he wasn't in charge of it, and micromanaging it to death.

It must be the letter M that he loves, Manning & Montgomery. Any coach not with the last initial M shouldn't even apply for the position of head coach.
I would say 4/8 of Montgomery’s seasons were “decent”….

Agree with Aston. Head coach gets credit for making good hires and blame for bad ones. It’s his job to have an eye for talented coaches and get them to come work for him. It’s almost more important than him being a good coach himself. He did other things poorly, but if the defense is good the head coach gets some of the credit for hiring the defensive mastermind.
Agreed. Monty had some really good coaches on staff which is why none of them seemed to last too long and get poached by other schools. He did bring some good, talented coaches on staff...he gets credit for that.

Watching NFL Live on ESPN. They were showing live video of Chiefs offense.
Louis Riddick spoke about seeing #34, Deneric Prince running with the first team offense. He said the reason you see young guys in with the first team offense is you're gaining the trust of the coaching staff and the QB.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT