ADVERTISEMENT

Deneric Prince Signs with KC Chiefs

TUMU

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Congratulations Deneric!
Just happens to be the team I grew up with and still my NFL team. My dad has become a Tulsa fan, he is also happy.
Go Deneric!

Tulsa running back Deneric Prince has a deal with the Chiefs, the Score’s Jordan Schultz reported. Prince played in eight games a year ago, rushing for 729 yards (5.8 yards per carry) and five touchdowns. He previously played at Texas A&M.

The Chiefs are my favorite NFL team, too, but even that aside I think that's the perfect team for Deneric. He's a very similar style RB as Pacheco and even has a similar build.

He'll be a great backup for them and get PT as a rookie. A lot of time between now and then, though, and he'll have to work hard to stick.

I was looking at the undrafted free agent list and I did not see Jaxon Player on there. I really think him leaving was the wrong thing to do for his career
And Tyon is reported to be signing with the Rams.

On Prince's contract, I asked the question about the amounts and that contract is considerably higher than the avg. for UDFA's last year in both the guaranteed amount and the signing bonus which tells me the Chiefs thing he will probably be part of the roster and/or practice squad. I'm wondering if Prince had a red flag in his player profile from the combine or even in his background checks with some teams which may have had them back off on drafting him?

There has been speculation the Chiefs are going to cut loose of running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire, former 2020 first round pick out of LSU. Chiefs are probably waiting for the most time friendly hit to their Cap.
The NFL doesn't mess around with players if they feel they can get better value from another player for less money.

Reactions: TU_BLA
There has been speculation the Chiefs are going to cut loose of running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire, former 2020 first round pick out of LSU. Chiefs are probably waiting for the most time friendly hit to their Cap.
The NFL doesn't mess around with players if they feel they can get better value from another player for less money.
Hellaire would still be in his rookie deal (last year) so his # is still pretty friendly for them, especially at his talent level. The question is whether or not they think they can get more than 8 games out of him which has been problematic the last 2 seasons

Hellaire would still be in his rookie deal (last year) so his # is still pretty friendly for them, especially at his talent level. The question is whether or not they think they can get more than 8 games out of him which has been problematic the last 2 seasons

He was physically ready to play in the Super Bowl, Chiefs choose not to activate him. Clyde let it be known he wasn't happy.

He was physically ready to play in the Super Bowl, Chiefs choose not to activate him. Clyde let it be known he wasn't happy.
Yeah, I found that shocking TBH but when you develop a game plan on players who have played in the playoffs and he seemed to still be up in the air, you do what you have to do to give your team the best chance to win. Unlike the Pats with a healthy Malcolm Butler and deciding to sit him for whatever reason against the Eagles and having Nick Foles torch his replacement all night...just dumb

Reactions: TUMU
Good for him, and the reported contract pretty healthy for an UDFA. They either fully expect him to earn a roster spot or are locking him up for a season on the practice squad with anticipation that he will be a future contributor.
He is being paid a guarantee of approximately one year of the minimum practice squad salary with a token signing bonus even if he doesn’t make the roster or the practice team, if these numbers are correct. They clearly think he can play. But there are plenty of players, including undrafted running back on practice squads making more. If he makes a roster, his pay will roughly triple, pro rated by the number of game weeks he is on the roster. There’s probably performance bonuses if he actually plays.

He gets a shot and a fair deal. He has no complaints. But I absolutely wouldn’t say the organization has made any commitment to him or expects him to contribute. They can cut a check without blinking and bring in some one better if he doesn’t exceed expectations.

There’s plenty of guys who get a similar deal, get cut, and then spend the money wisely and end up on a different roster in a year or two after working out and staying in shape, doing drills for scouts and helping at clinics and stuff. There’s other guys who blow through the money trying to be a good teammate with millionaires for life and end up driving a truck this time next year.

The next two months could determine the rest of his life. Let’s hope he grabs the brass ring.

Last edited:
Reactions: TU_BLA
He is being paid a guarantee of approximately one year of the minimum practice squad salary with a token signing bonus even if he doesn’t make the roster or the practice team, if these numbers are correct. They clearly think he can play. But there are plenty of players, including undrafted running back on practice squads making more. If he makes a roster, his pay will roughly triple, pro rated by the number of game weeks he is on the roster. There’s probably performance bonuses if he actually plays.

He gets a shot and a fair deal. He has no complaints. But I absolutely wouldn’t say the organization has made any commitment to him or expects him to contribute. They can cut a check without blinking and bring in some one better if he doesn’t exceed expectations.

There’s plenty of guys who get a similar deal, get cut, and then spend the money wisely and end up on a different roster in a year or two after working out and staying in shape, doing drills for scouts and helping at clinics and stuff. There’s other guys who blow through the money trying to be a good teammate with millionaires for life and end up driving a truck this time next year.

The next two months could determine the rest of his life. Let’s hope he grabs the brass ring.
Thanks for the more detailed assessment of his situation, and it's good to know that if he makes the roster it will convert to a higher rate based on his participation and performance. Yes, I agree that they can write a check and it is a mere drop in the bucket and thus there is little risk in speculating with him. The prize is really his to grab and I hope he takes full advantage of the opportunity.

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT