ADVERTISEMENT

Just like self did to us after a few wins in ncaa

libertychamp

I.T.S. Position Coach
Sep 23, 2007
Mills left Oru and is going to be Wichita States new head coach. Maybe we should have gotten Mills not Konked out konkel šŸ˜‚

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
200w.gif

Mills will do well in Wichita. Anyone who can win with the constraints found at ORU has a chance anywhere.
The coach at Wichita st gets pretty much whatever he wants IF he wins. They have the use of a private plane for recruiting trips and also away games. Great facilities and incredible fan support. Of course, if you aren't making the tournament, you get fired in 2 seasons. :) Lots of high expectations and hand shaking and back patting needed as well.

I believe douche canoe are separate words. I use them to describe people fairly often. I have already named a captain and a first mate for it.
It rolls better for me as one word.....but don't get butthurt about how I cram words together ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
So, here's an ITS 30 for 30 moment...what if I told you Paul Mills hated ORU? He kept a good company line face on in public but privately he really didn't want to be there but did so to further his chances at a higher level job. He hated the rules and constraints he had to work with at ORU and did not like the fact he couldn't get certain players in because they had tattoos and had no demonstrable relationship with Jesus Christ. Things you overhear waiting for your daughter's dance class to let out

So, here's an ITS 30 for 30 moment...what if I told you Paul Mills hated ORU? He kept a good company line face on in public but privately he really didn't want to be there but did so to further his chances at a higher level job. He hated the rules and constraints he had to work with at ORU and did not like the fact he couldn't get certain players in because they had tattoos and had no demonstrable relationship with Jesus Christ. Things you overhear waiting for your daughter's dance class to let out
Sounds like a very reasonable human being.

I did hear multiple times (through second hand sources) that his family loved it here in Tulsa.

You made the same comments after the Sweet Sixteen run & you said he was gone. I heard the exact opposite at that time.

If he truly hated it there, I think he wouldā€™ve left 2 years ago. Now, it makes sense for him to go. The $ are just too much at WSU & ORU is stuck in a Dakotas centric conference.

I did hear multiple times (through second hand sources) that his family loved it here in Tulsa.

You made the same comments after the Sweet Sixteen run & you said he was gone. I heard the exact opposite at that time.

If he truly hated it there, I think he wouldā€™ve left 2 years ago. Now, it makes sense for him to go. The $ are just too much at WSU & ORU is stuck in a Dakotas centric conference.
Having worked their before, I imagine TU_BLA has some decent sources. I'm not saying he or you are wrong. I just wouldn't automatically discount what he has heard.

can't blame that dude for going to WSU. you can be a hero there for a long time in a smaller community, and make a crap ton of cash if you're doing well, with decent but not national title pressure.

it's a good time to go there to, with them being in a bad state, though a better state than us.

Time will tell on Konkol, but I believe we made a mistake not going after Mills last year. He had some good recruits and some good teams at ORU. Even better than another coach we got from there many moons ago.

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
We can just watch the conference matchups over the next couple of years to answer whether he is right or not. I think they will find more success with Mills than Brown. That's about as far as I will go with it.
It will be an interesting next few weeks for them as Mills will have some $$ to spend in the portal for transfers for next year. We will how he does.

We can just watch the conference matchups over the next couple of years to answer whether he is right or not. I think they will find more success with Mills than Brown. That's about as far as I will go with it.
100%.

I'm going to pretend someone didn't just compare Mills with Self lmao.

Reactions: TU_BLA
It will be an interesting next few weeks for them as Mills will have some $$ to spend in the portal for transfers for next year. We will how he does.
And tats will be optional. That will help.

mills has been more successful than bill self to this point in their careers. Self's accomplishments at TU versus Mills' at WSU will tell the difference.

i'm not saying he goes the rest of the way like Self, very very very few do, but thus far he has exceeded him.

you have a guy across town that has been to the tournament and advanced in the tournament and recruited very well, but we hired a guy that had never been to the tournament and had not recruited as well.

I'm still on the Konkol bandwagon, don't mean to imply i'm not. I'll trust he will get us rolling!

Reactions: t-townpod
Mills has done very well, but I think Selfā€™s personality fits the big time programs better than Mills. I think Mills will do well at Wichita but I donā€™t see him joining Self at the blue blood program level.

Reactions: libertychamp
mills has been more successful than bill self to this point in their careers. Self's accomplishments at TU versus Mills' at WSU will tell the difference.

i'm not saying he goes the rest of the way like Self, very very very few do, but thus far he has exceeded him.

you have a guy across town that has been to the tournament and advanced in the tournament and recruited very well, but we hired a guy that had never been to the tournament and had not recruited as well.

I'm still on the Konkol bandwagon, don't mean to imply i'm not. I'll trust he will get us rolling!
Was ORU even in a conference when Self was there? That job was even tougher at that point than it is now. Getting them to the NIT like he did was akin to them making the tournament nowadays if you ask me. Not a fair comparison.

Was ORU even in a conference when Self was there? That job was even tougher at that point than it is now. Getting them to the NIT like he did was akin to them making the tournament nowadays if you ask me. Not a fair comparison.
Self's biggest issue was trying to get ORU back to NCAA D-1 relevance after their self (pun not intended) imposed exile to the NAIA

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT