ADVERTISEMENT

Internment

GOTULSA

I.T.S. Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
Does anyone think Franklin Roosevelt would intern muslims in the United States if he were alive today, since we are at war with ISIL?

Originally posted by GOTULSA:
Does anyone think Franklin Roosevelt would intern muslims in the United States if he were alive today, since we are at war with ISIL?
If FDR were alive today he would be 132 years old. The internment of the Japanese Americans was a mistake caused by mass panic that the US was about to be invaded after Pearl Harbor and some sightings of Jap subs off of the West Coast. Some Japanese served in Europe with honor. There is a huge German ethnic group in the US and they were not interned. By some strange coincidence many served against the Japanese. It would be good if more Muslims spoke out against the terrorism, but interning Muslims is not an option. By the way, FDR was a very astute politician and if he had lived in this time frame he would have had actions more in tune with the current social mores.

My thought is that the issue isn't Muslims but more specifically the unwillingness of most Muslims to "police their own". Internment would not make that problem any better. However, until all of the "religion of peace" Muslims who I keep hearing about rise up and deal with the "religion of blowing up random sh1t and beheading those with whom we disagree" Muslims then most people are going to have issues with Islam and Muslims. We need the Muslims who know the radicals to step up and at least tell
somebody when Achmed is reciting the Koran while sharpening his hatchet.

More specifically ...... internment would accomplish nothing and TUME is right, Roosevelt was waaay too savvy a politician to try that in today's politically correct world.

On a historical note, about 35,000 Japanese Americans served in the US military during WW2. Approximately 15,000 of these served in the 442nd Regimental Combat Team in the European Theater. About 3,000 served in various combat capacities in the Pacific Theater. Another 10,000+ served as interpreters or in intelligence postings. You can find good information on the 442nd RCT here: http://the442.org/home.html

Thanks, be safe and BEAT ARMY!

I agree that Roosevelt would not do the Internment thing with Muslims as things are now. However if ISIL had a Navy and an Air Force that could and did practically blow Pearl Harbor off the map, I'm not so sure.

I disagree that Internment accomplished nothing. It showed our Enemies, and our Allies that we could and would. That we were serious about winning this War and woe be it to those who drew us into this conflict.

Originally posted by BanditBacker:
I agree that Roosevelt would not do the Internment thing with Muslims as things are now. However if ISIL had a Navy and an Air Force that could and did practically blow Pearl Harbor off the map, I'm not so sure.

I disagree that Internment accomplished nothing. It showed our Enemies, and our Allies that we could and would. That we were serious about winning this War and woe be it to those who drew us into this conflict.
Midway, D-day, and the atomic bomb showed that we were serious about winning the war.

No argument there. But, so did the Internment thing. Kind of like when Lincoln suspended Habeus Corpus. It said things have changed. It said we've been attacked, we're in a War, and you will not use our Freedoms against us.

You also have to remember we were completely different people back then. I seem to remember that FDR had four or five sons that not only served, but saw combat in WWII. I bet not even a freshman representative's son would do that today.

You know, the real Question might ought to be........ How many cities would FDR let ISIL blow up before Internment would even be on the table. I'll bet ISIL knows that answer. And I'll bet they're laughing their ass off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT