ADVERTISEMENT

I don't understand college football

aTUfan

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Apr 18, 2011
la la land
You don't have to win your conference. You don't even have to win your division.
To play in the championship series or big bowl.

Penn state won the big10, but osu plays in the championship series.

Usc was second to Colorado in their division, but usc is in the rose bowl?

You don't have to win your conference. You don't even have to win your division.
To play in the championship series or big bowl.

Penn state won the big10, but osu plays in the championship series.

Usc was second to Colorado in their division, but usc is in the rose bowl?

It's because the winners win in times that they win but the others don't win except when they do but history of winning means more than winning now unless you win a lot now after winning a lot before then winning now matters more than winning before because they already won before.

It's because the winners win in times that they win but the others don't win except when they do but history of winning means more than winning now unless you win a lot now after winning a lot before then winning now matters more than winning before because they already won before.
Got it.

This is how the powers that be (ESPN, P5s), justify the "eye test" criteria and thus Ohio State being included. Instead of including Penn State, the B1G champion and the team that beat Ohio State. BTW, PaState is not a very good team overall, IMO. But I also don't think Ohio State is very good on offense. They have good individual pieces and athletes but execution wise they're like the Buffalo Bills.

Alabama is clearly far and away the best team and the only truly excellent team this year. You have a 2nd tier of good but not great teams and a bunch of good teams with flaws that have all been exploited. ESPN is trying their hardest to hype the playoff games even though the outcome is a foregone conclusion without a major catastrophe by Bama.

Well that cleared everything up

This is how the powers that be (ESPN, P5s), justify the "eye test" criteria and thus Ohio State being included. Instead of including Penn State, the B1G champion and the team that beat Ohio State. BTW, PaState is not a very good team overall, IMO. But I also don't think Ohio State is very good on offense. They have good individual pieces and athletes but execution wise they're like the Buffalo Bills.

Alabama is clearly far and away the best team and the only truly excellent team this year. You have a 2nd tier of good but not great teams and a bunch of good teams with flaws that have all been exploited. ESPN is trying their hardest to hype the playoff games even though the outcome is a foregone conclusion without a major catastrophe by Bama.

Yep and yep.

TV ratings. It's the same logic the put TU against CMU. Think about it as a programming decision instead of an athletic competition issue. Competition matters but not in its own right, only to the extent it impacts ratings. The powers that be would prefer to have Texas instead of Washington but that's not interesting and would hurt ratings. It's much more like how boxing matchups are decided than like how NFL playoff decisions are made.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Right now there are 82 teams ( some not really deserving , . . .)in 41 bowls.

Some of the games not well attended due to fan travel, date, match up . . .

Time to start a REAL D1 playoff with 64 teams.

Too many games, too much travel, home stadiums have to get ready, and my favorite, players have to have time for academics (since that doesn't seem to matter at most schools and FCS players seem to be able to handle it.

Forget that it would be great for the game and create a true inclusive playoff that would generate much more interest and TV viewers than the current system.

TV ratings. It's the same logic the put TU against CMU. Think about it as a programming decision instead of an athletic competition issue. Competition matters but not in its own right, only to the extent it impacts ratings. The powers that be would prefer to have Texas instead of Washington but that's not interesting and would hurt ratings. It's much more like how boxing matchups are decided than like how NFL playoff decisions are made.
Actually the TV ratings argument doesn't hold with TU. TUs in person attendance is not very good but on most Saturdays each Fall, Tulsa is in the top 10-15 each week for college football viewership. And it's games in general not just OU and OSU (or TU). Just like Tulsa is generally top 3-4 for English Premiere League games on Saturday mornings. People in Tulsa like to watch sports, that's pretty apparent. They don't like to get off their couches and go to games...that's the problem.

64 works for basketball because you can play 2 games per weekend and be done in 3 weeks with minimal class time lost. Football doesn't work that way. 16 is about as many as you could get away with. That would still take 4 weeks. The part about finals is bogus because there are ways to make that work.

The whole argument that we can't have a playoff above 8 teams because of academics is bogus. If this were true than why does the NCAA have 24 teams in the FCS playoffs? IIRC the FBS is the only NCAA sport in any division where the NCAA does not have a playoff format (FBS playoff is not conducted by the NCAA)! Why is there not concern about academics in all of the other sports and divisions?

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/fcs

If academics are the biggest problem or wear on players make it 32 or 64 teams (I think 32 is fair for a 124ish team division), cut two weeks out of regular season so it's 10 games + conference game.

If bowls are the concern then make each of the games in the playoff a bowl sponsored event.

Half of the bowls could go away and noone would notice
I've watched some or all of many bowl games. I'd miss them, they're nice entertainment and part of the season during the holidays. And of course I'd really miss seeing TU in bowl games and if half went away, the reality is we'd rarely go to bowls for the same reasons we got stuck in one of the AAC crappier bowls. So i for one would notice and would be bummed.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Actually the TV ratings argument doesn't hold with TU. TUs in person attendance is not very good but on most Saturdays each Fall, Tulsa is in the top 10-15 each week for college football viewership. And it's games in general not just OU and OSU (or TU). Just like Tulsa is generally top 3-4 for English Premiere League games on Saturday mornings. People in Tulsa like to watch sports, that's pretty apparent. They don't like to get off their couches and go to games...that's the problem.
Do you really think that Aresco views TU as one of his "franchise" programs? Has he put the AAC resources behind marketing and promoting TU to establish a promotable brand? I think he views us as a second class media property and he'd prefer for us to be bad. For us to be good and to take attention from what he views as his franchises, Memphis, Houston, Floridas etc is a pain for him. It's not just where ratings are today but in his view, what can be created. He's a tv programming guy not a sports guy, that's how they think.

Reactions: TUMU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT