ADVERTISEMENT

Houston

Drew 35k yesterday and 30k before that. What's your team's home attendance? Also Tulsa has over 300,000 people so there's plenty for y'all to draw from too.
The problem is due to OU and OSU fans in Tulsa exceeding the alumni base of TU fans. You gotta realize how EASY it is to get into OU and OSU. I went to HS in Tulsa and the kids who could barely pull a C average made the dean's list at OU and OSU. It was a joke. Those retards couldn't even pass remedial math, but they were academic prodigies at OU and OSU... Tulsa prides itself on being a university of scholars rather than athletes. You can't be dumb and play football at TU, which immediately puts us behind the 8 ball on the football field. And on a side note, people who never even made it to college in Tulsa wind up cheering for OU as a default, I've never understood why and always excoriated and emplored those people to cheer for the real home team: Tulsa.

When we win in football, it's against all odds. And that's why I don't mind paying back 60k in student loans and driving 5 hours each way to watch TU play football on any given Saturday. It's a pride thing. I went to TCU for undergrad and always root for them to lose, because that place sacrificed academia for atheltics when I was going to school there and took my ECON courses in a portable trailer erstwhile the chancellor built up the stadium and put a wrought iron fence around the intermural fields so kids couldn't chuck a football on them without permission. I really wish our stadium was full on the weekends... Maybe we'd sneak into the big 12 if we could. I doubt it, but it's a nice dream!

When we win in football, it's against all odds. And that's why I don't mind paying back 60k in student loans and driving 5 hours each way to watch TU play football on any given Saturday. It's a pride thing. I went to TCU for undergrad and always root for them to lose, because that place sacrificed academia for atheltics when I was going to school there and took my ECON courses in a portable trailer erstwhile the chancellor built up the stadium and put a wrought iron fence around the intermural fields so kids couldn't chuck a football on them without permission. I really wish our stadium was full on the weekends... Maybe we'd sneak into the big 12 if we could. I doubt it, but it's a nice dream!

If Tulsa's program got too prominent OU and Ok State would find a way to sabotage it.

Line now 7.5. Considering that TU lost by 14 @ OU and it could have been closer but for the helpful Big XII zebra, I still think that is too high. I would take that if I were in Vegas.

I worry about this game.Your school always comes to play against us. Plus we always seem to have a dud one game a year. This game is set up to be just that. Ward our QB is a big time player and we are a getting better each game we play but we could lose this one.. Here's to a good game and with no injuries.

The problem is due to OU and OSU fans in Tulsa exceeding the alumni base of TU fans. You gotta realize how EASY it is to get into OU and OSU. I went to HS in Tulsa and the kids who could barely pull a C average made the dean's list at OU and OSU. It was a joke. Those retards couldn't even pass remedial math, but they were academic prodigies at OU and OSU... Tulsa prides itself on being a university of scholars rather than athletes. You can't be dumb and play football at TU, which immediately puts us behind the 8 ball on the football field. And on a side note, people who never even made it to college in Tulsa wind up cheering for OU as a default, I've never understood why and always excoriated and emplored those people to cheer for the real home team: Tulsa.

OK, ease off on the "R" word. I don't care about you railing on OU and OSU being remedial HS, that's fine. If you've ever known or been close to anyone with Down Syndrome or any other learning impairment, you would better understand the nature of the word and the hurt it can cause. I don't take offense with many things said ever...I think too many people get their panties in a wad over the PC thing. I realize you are just trying to make a joke and get a laugh...but please rethink your choice of wording in this instance.

Regarding the game specifically (and probably several other AAC games coming up for TU)...we simply need to make the QB be a QB and try and pass from the pocket. Houston, SMU, ECU, and UCF QBs all seemed to be close to 100 yds rushing last week. Outside of Houston where it was a smaller portion of the offense. Tulsa DL needs to stay disciplined and strong on their tackles against these teams. Don't let the QB wiggle away when you have them in the grasp. Suits and Smith should help TU this week in that regard and adding some speed to the front 7. (I didn't include Navy because they are a different beast...their QB is actually a 3rd RB). Cincinnati and Memphis will be a more traditional passing attack that we will have to defend and would pose problems for our DBs.

This has the makings of a 5 hour game
Alot of passing, incompletions, & TV timeouts
Winner could B last team w/ the ball.

Since this game will probably B decided “thru the air”
Here’s some interesting current NCAA stats on both teams

Tulsa #6 rated passing offense (391 yrds per game, @ almost 17 yrds per catch)
vs.
#120 Houston’s pass “D” (313 yrds per game @ 13 yrds per catch)

Houston #23 rated passing offense (305 yrds per game, @ 13 yrds per catch)
vs.
#117 Tulsa’s pass “D” allowing (305 yrds per game @ 13 yrds per catch)

Houston #6 rated Scoring offense @ 48 pts per game
vs.
Tulsa #113 rated scoring “D” @ 39 pts per game

Tulsa #16 rated scoring offense @ 42 pts per game
vs.
Houston #57 rated scoring “D” @ 23 pts per game

Houston #7 rated total Offense (591 yrds per game @ 7 yrds per play)
vs.
Tulsa #124 rated total Defense (575 yrds per game & @ 7 yrds per play

Tulsa #4 rated Total Offense (607 per game @ 7 yrds per play)
vs.
Houston #67 rated total Defense (379 yrds per game @ 5 yrds per play)

SACKS

Both Tulsa & Houston have given up an avg of 2 sacks per game
But Houston “D” avg’s 3 sacks per game while Tulsa avg’s 2 sacks per game

Tulsa
QB Dane Evans #14 rated passer @ 391 yrds per game, 62% completion rate,
114 pass attempts, 8 TD’s & only 2 interceptions

RB Zach Langer #32 rated rusher @ 130 yrds per game @ 4.4 yrds per rushing attempt

Houston
QB Greg Ward #59 rated passer @ 261 yrds per game, 75% completion rate,
81 pass attempts, 8 TD’s & 1 interception

QB Greg Ward #77 rated rusher @ 97 yrds per game @ 6 yrds per rushing attempt

Coogfan here out of Arkansas. Just want to wish your team well. I think most UH fans think this will be a barn barner and it's always tough playing in Tulsa. Hope neither team has no injuries and that the best team wins. Ya'll have done pretty good by winning some close ones, Wish y'all had OKIE but one of these days. Good luck except for this weekend.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Most importantly, Houston hasn't played a team with a winning record. It's the same thing we had with New Mexico, their stats get inflated. I'm not saying they aren't VERY good.... just that the stats are deceptive. We have to keep a spy on Ward. We can't let another QB win the game with his legs like we did with Mayfield at OU.

Is cougarking just one of barrister's alter egos?
Yes. I have almost as many alters as Gold. But in all seriousness, even though I love seeing G$$ and others take the troll bait, I could never lower my standards to pose as a coug fan. My superior intellect and brilliance won't allow it.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Chris can verify that I am not cougarking....

there are some things even I won't do. posing as a coug fan is one of them.

Tell 'em Harmon.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Chris can verify that I am not cougarking....

there are some things even I won't do. posing as a coug fan is one of them.

Tell 'em Harmon.
Ok, that I believe. But surely you see the stunning resemblance? Perhaps you and CougarKing were separated at birth? It's like Trading Places.

Say, what is a barrister anyway? Is that the appellation for a guy working behind a Starbucks counter? Always seems to be drawing flack for some reason...

We have to contain that QB, have no idea how, but FAU's and OU's QB's ate Tulsa's defense up scrambling when plays broke down.

Say, what is a barrister anyway? Is that the appellation for a guy working behind a Starbucks counter?
Yep. You got me. I make fancy coffees. I also have a douche ponytail and like to talk about chitty music that no one else knows about. Your powers of reasoning are dizzying. Never should have tangled with a genius like you.

Reactions: TulsaGrad07
We have to contain that QB, have no idea how, but FAU's and OU's QB's ate Tulsa's defense up scrambling when plays broke down.
This is THE MOST IMPORTANT factor if TU is to have a chance on Saturday. HOuston's QB thrives when he gets out of the pocket. Very good throwing when on the run. Unfortunately, that is our defense's biggest weakness -- a mobile QB. I think we will score at will on the cougs. I'm just worried that with their QB, that they will as well.

Houston is ranked 26th in the nation (CBS top 128) and we're ranked 78th. This is apparently more of a David and Goliath match-up than I realized... If we win, it'll be considered a major upset I guess. I have the feeling it's a level playing field this Saturday; doesn't feel like an OU-type opponent in my head.

You guys sound like the Texas State fans before we beat them 59-14. They thought they were going to score at will too.

You make me laugh coogfan. Good Luck defending Kevan AND Keyarris...AND Josh. Your smack talk is absolutely adorable.

See you Saturday.

Monty has said we "think we'll have a couple guys vs Houston whom we didn't have vs OU"

We have an annual student populace of less than 3500 per year, and a Tulsa population of just under 400,000. Cougar High has a student populace of over 30,000, and a Houston population of over 2 million. We average around 22,000 per game, u guys average around 32,000. Do I have to do the math for you?
Tulsa draws from a Metro Area of 1.1 Million, Houston draws from a Metro Area of approximately 6.6 Million.

Didn't realize attendance won football games.

GO TU!!!!!

Certainly correct!! Are Suits and Smith practicing? If so our Defense just got better in a hurry. Any word on Williams?

Doubt Williams will play against Houston or during the next couple of games, due to the nature of what his injury appeared to be. Looked like a hamstring injury, and it would have to be a light pull, and he would have to have a really quick recovery for him to play Saturday. Likely he'll be out at least another week or so.

Tulsa draws from a Metro Area of 1.1 Million, Houston draws from a Metro Area of approximately 6.6 Million.

Didn't realize attendance won football games.

GO TU!!!!!

Never said it did... If u read the whole thread, u would see that CougarPrincess started arguing about attendance, and saying we had no fans. He was quoting statistics, so I just put a few more out there. He put city population out there, so that was what I argued with. If he had quoted metro area, then that's what I would have argued with.

Currently 74 threads about the Houston/TU matchup? & it's only Wednesday?
Hmmmm, u 'thunk there's alittle emotion/rivalry between these 2 teams?

th

Yep, them Copycat Cougars stick their paws on Champman field this Sat.
Them Hurricane just might chop them off.

Go TU

I'm waiting for the World picks to come out. My guess is everyone has it a tight game either way except for Haisten and Peters who predict Houston to win by 40.

The hatred for Tulsa by uh is unreal over on the AAC board.

One genius over there doesn't understand why uh "hasn't stopped scheduling Tulsa yet"... That's what we're dealing with this Saturday.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT