ADVERTISEMENT

Hobbs...

Original TULSAFAN

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2016
Hilarious! Absolutely hilarious!

Absolutely hilarious... funniest thing I've seen in 17 months...

Hilarious...

And then Skipper misses a wide open receiver that I could have thrown for 6.

And then an ineligible receiver down field...

This is funny ass stuff!

That was the most ridiculous penalty I’ve seen this football season. Truly unbelievable. I’m glad you have a sense of humor about it, because I am still seething mad about that crap. That was infuriating.

That was the most ridiculous penalty I’ve seen this football season. Truly unbelievable. I’m glad you have a sense of humor about it, because I am still seething mad about that crap. That was infuriating.
Why? It was a stupid play by him, but coach should discipline guys for that. Instead, runs Hobbs back out there, no punishment needed. You bet your ass a good coach benches players for that crap.

Why? It was a stupid play by him, but coach should discipline guys for that. Instead, runs Hobbs back out there, no punishment needed. You bet your ass a good coach benches players for that crap.
He took one step and then knew what he did and stopped. A good coach empowers, not demeans.

Hope Hobbs thought he was funny, just cost us the game

Someone else made a good point on that tho. Even if the touchdown counted and we had the extra 4 points, SMU would've been kicking the winning field goal at the end which would've sucked just as bad if not worse... The defense gave away a free 75 yard touchdown early in the game. That was what cost us the game in retrospect. We played better than I even expected honestly. Guess I'm becoming desensitized to losing this season and lowering expectations from game-to-game.

Reactions: TULSARISING
Hobbs has the 'tude that "I'm pretty hot stuff." Saw him flex those rather scrawny arms on tv after making a play & then gives the refs an opportunity to cancel out his 72-yarder. While sitting him down for a royal a$$ chewing, have Allie Green the 3rd or 4th sitting outside waiting for his turn. TU Football:1st,last,always!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Even the "dense" Monty would have likely punted on that 4th and 8 (with 3 TO's) instead of going for broke.

Who knows what would have happened... but Tulsa is just plain bad in all facets of the game.

***I do think Skipper can be a serviceable QB in the HU offense.
***I do think President should be on the field in some position (he's too good of an athlete).
***I do think Jones is a nice K.
***Wilson is a bad ass.

That's it. That's as positive as I'll ever get with this train wreck.

Hobbs has the 'tude that "I'm pretty hot stuff." Saw him flex those rather scrawny arms on tv after making a play & then gives the refs an opportunity to cancel out his 72-yarder. While sitting him down for a royal a$$ chewing, have Allie Green the 3rd or 4th sitting outside waiting for his turn. TU Football:1st,last,always!
The arm flex was a signal to the sideline. I won’t go into depth here. Numerous players do it in different situations if you watch closely.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
The arm flex was a signal to the sideline. I won’t go into depth here. Numerous players do it in different situations if you watch closely.
But when he does things two or three times in a game, one of them may get ticky tack called.

When you have a team who plays very close games it would seem good sense to avoid unsportsmanlike penalties like the plague. They kill drives and take points off the board. This is a coaching atmosphere thing that allows that.

I thought that leather covered thang was an "oblate spheroid". Whatever it is, at least Nigel seems to be hanging on to it a little better. BTW, does anyone have an update on our frosh running back's injury. Losing Brooks to something severe would suck big time. TU Football: 1st,last,always!

But when he does things two or three times in a game, one of them may get ticky tack called.
But then it would be an obvious bias call. The number of players on both sides who flex, do the "feed me" motion, the wipe-out arm swing after breaking up a pass is too numerous to count. To flag Hobbs for this gesture while ignoring the frog walk goggle sack dance the SMU DE made would be an obvious indicator the refs could only see white jerseys.

He didn't really appear to have overtly "peacocked". If you watch him, his body language is showing exactly what his brain was thinking "oh I'm gonna score! I'm gonna highstep my way righ----no, I better not, might get flagged". He thought about it, but he didn't even get one goose step in, just half of one, and they flagged him. Dumb? I would say only if he OVERTLY goose stepped his way into the end zone. He seemed to remonstrate himself before getting carried away, so I'm not upset with him. The penalty did not fit the crime in this case. The discipline was there. And someone said "Act like you've been there before". He really hasn't been there many times before, so he was likely nonplussed to be in that position.

He didn't really appear to have overtly "peacocked". If you watch him, his body language is showing exactly what his brain was thinking "oh I'm gonna score! I'm gonna highstep my way righ----no, I better not, might get flagged". He thought about it, but he didn't even get one goose step in, just half of one, and they flagged him. Dumb? I would say only if he OVERTLY goose stepped his way into the end zone. He seemed to remonstrate himself before getting carried away, so I'm not upset with him. The penalty did not fit the crime in this case. The discipline was there. And someone said "Act like you've been there before". He really hasn't been there many times before, so he was likely nonplussed to be in that position.
Exactly. This is what has everyone who has seen the play wondering why in the world is this a rule and how can it take a score off the board.

EDIT: Anyone want to take a bet that this rule and its enforcement is visited and probably changed during the off season?

The more I look at it the more I'm on the side of the flag shouldn't have been thrown. Still, I'm bothered by how often as a team we do things that we know could be penalized. If week after week we have players spiking the ball or interacting with fans(which I love btw) then the coaches aren't doing what they need to do.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The more I watch the replay, the madder I get. I understand the rule but it’s subjective. As others have stated, there have been much worse instances that haven’t been called. This was hardly recognizable, unless you were specifically looking for something to call.

It reminds me of late holding calls, after an official sees that the visiting team is going to score, unless a call is made. Absolutely ridiculous. The official should be hung by Mike Tyson's jock strap after a 12 round bout.

So as long as you cross the goal line, you can do anything, and it's just a mere penalty on the kickoff? Seems silly to only penalize one type of celebration.
Not if you are a TV producer and can edit out a dead ball celebration that could antagonize a certain segment of the viewership. You can’t censor live action. That’s why I hate this rule in general, there is a thin layer of racism over it.

Not if you are a TV producer and can edit out a dead ball celebration that could antagonize a certain segment of the viewership. You can’t censor live action. That’s why I hate this rule in general, there is a thin layer of racism over it.

Thin layer of racism in regards to the call? I don't follow

Thin layer of racism in regards to the call? I don't follow

I believe he's alleging that the rule itself is in place because a certain segment of the population doesn't like to see another certain segment of the population flamboyantly celebrating. Not sure I buy it, but interesting thought.

Reactions: HuffyCane
There is considerable academic study of that viewpoint. If you ask any Miami Hurricanes fan, for whom the rule was created, they will tell you it is absolutely racist. Watch the 30 for 30 “The U”. The players say the same thing.

There is considerable academic study of that viewpoint. If you ask any Miami Hurricanes fan, for whom the rule was created, they will tell you it is absolutely racist. Watch the 30 for 30 “The U”. The players say the same thing.

“The U” was nothing but a bunch of thugs.

They weren’t celebrating great plays as much as they were intimidating their opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT