ADVERTISEMENT

Herman to Texas

jesterondirt

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Sep 28, 2006
News breaking now that Herman to Texas is a done deal. This one seams a bit more believable than the LSU Rumor. Looks like LSU is sticking with Orgeron.

Lateral move.

Highly unlikely.

I'd like to think so. I doubt a neutral observer that looks at facilities, fan support, and financial commitment would say lateral though. Not saying it's going to happen, just that they've got a lot of money to throw around so it's not impossible

Lateral move.

Highly unlikely.
UH is nice step up from TU. The only thing lateral about these 2 schools is conference affiliation. UH has more resources, better facilities, and an actual fan base. Plus UH was on the verge of getting a Big 12 invite. The odds of reaching NY6 bowl games and the CFP is much greater at UH.

Don't forget Lincoln Riley, and of course big name rehabs like Lane Kiffin.

Having said that, I think Monty stays at Tulsa for more personal reasons.

TX

Last edited:
It's not on par with us academically. Our endowment is significantly greater. Different priorities here.

The two schools are just very different. We are a small residential private school in a small city. They are a gigantic commuter school in a metro area with exponentially more people than we have in our state.

Last edited:
Reactions: URedskin54
I would agree with all of Houston's advantages except for fan support. True, they have had great support (around 35-40K per game) over the last two years, but these have been extreme anomalies and "once in a generation" type seasons.

Let's not get too congratulatory regarding their "fan base". For the last 20 years prior to the last two, there's a fine line between Houston and all other AAC schools (except for ECU and probably Cincy).

I have seen dozens of Coog games in an empty stadium.

The other thing that annoys me is when you read the Cougs board, they act like they should never lose to us in anything. But they often do. We clearly have some advantages. Don't buy the hype.

Last edited:
It's not on par with us academically. Our endowment is significantly greater. Different priorities here.

The two schools are just very different. We are a small residential private school in a small city. They are a gigantic commuter school in a metro area with exponentially more people than we have in our state.

No doubt, and it's really a matter of what Coach Monty ultimate wants to be part of. The Tulsa job has many advantages, and if they could ever find a Chris Peterson I have no doubt it could be a great job. Winning 7 to 10 games at TU is as good of job security as any HC could get. I get the feeling that Coach Monty is as honest as a HC can get. He seems to really value faith and family above everything else. Would he want to uproot his family for the 2nd time in 4 years for a job that is almost certainly not his dream job? He seems like the complete opposite of Todd Graham who chases $$$ at every turn.

I just hope TU makes a financial commitment to Monty that is commiserate to one of the top 5-6 coaches in the AAC. I think Monty has the potential to win big. I'm not so sure Herman was even the best coach in the West Div., let alone the AAC.

TX

Last edited:
He was also run out of UH for allegedly recruiting for Briles.

I would agree with all of Houston's advantages except for fan support. True, they have had great support (around 35-40K per game) over the last two years, but these have been extreme anomalies and "once in a generation" type seasons.

Let's not get too congratulatory regarding their "fan base". For the last 20 years prior to the last two, there's a fine line between Houston and all other AAC schools (except for ECU and probably Cincy).

I have seen dozens of Coog games in an empty stadium.

Agree. I have attended TU/UH games at the dump called Robertson stadium. The upgrades in facilities and coaching have obviously reinvigorated their fan bas. The loss of a very popular coach that ignited the fans and a couple sub par seasons could derail their support. It happened at TU losing Graham and the quick decline under Blankenship.

TX

I said what I know above. I tried to find an article above, but there is so much about Briles on the trons that it was a waste of time.

This is going to be reality show level drama with Herman and Texas.
I expect he'll create the same type of dumpster fire that Les Miles left if Stillwater for Gumby to clean up. He'll win at all costs and be a players coach that lets the inmates run the asylum.

On a side note it was refreshing seeing Chip Kelley from ND ream big 99 for his classless d-bag actions.

Steve Robinson

Steve Kragthorpe (yes I know he is sick but it was still a bad decision)

Probably Danny Manning

And on and on...

Steve Robinson

Steve Kragthorpe (yes I know he is sick but it was still a bad decision)

Probably Danny Manning

And on and on...
Anyone following in Petrino's footsteps has a complete dumpster fire to put out, clean up, and then rebuild. Can't happen in 3-4 years. Petrino doesn't recruit good human beings who can also play football. He recruits guys who are likely to find themselves in a fed. penitentiary but for the opportunity to play football. The others are all fair. Manning is going to be I serious Troy le after finishing g 10th in the ACC again.

Anyone following in Petrino's footsteps has a complete dumpster fire to put out, clean up, and then rebuild. Can't happen in 3-4 years. Petrino doesn't recruit good human beings who can also play football. He recruits guys who are likely to find themselves in a fed. penitentiary but for the opportunity to play football. The others are all fair. Manning is going to be I serious Troy le after finishing g 10th in the ACC again.
Its always a "FEEL GOOD STORY" to see Bobby "I'M A DICK" Petrino falter . It gives me faith and hope that justice will prevail in this world.

The Tulsa World thinks Houston will come calling for Monty.
Barf... I sure as hell hope he doesn't go down there.

The Tulsa World thinks Houston will come calling for Monty.
Barf... I sure as hell hope he doesn't go down there.
Lincoln Riley is the name I am hearing. With Tech saying Kingsbury will be back, Oregon and Notre Dame are the 2 to worry about but I don't think Monty would necessarily be a fit at Oregon and I don't think he is "sexy" enough yet for Notre Dame.

I think Kiffin is finally going to get his own gig and have the maturity to make it work.

I am hoping we dodge the bullet for at least one more year.

There are number of UH folks enamored with their DC as head coach.

May not have permission to speak with Monty.

Lincoln Riley is the name I am hearing. With Tech saying Kingsbury will be back, Oregon and Notre Dame are the 2 to worry about but I don't think Monty would necessarily be a fit at Oregon and I don't think he is "sexy" enough yet for Notre Dame.

I think Kiffin is finally going to get his own gig and have the maturity to make it work.

I am hoping we dodge the bullet for at least one more year.

Oregon and Notre Dame are of no concern, no way they hire the HC of Tulsa. The only concern with those two would be the dominoe effect.

TX

Oregon and Notre Dame are of no concern, no way they hire the HC of Tulsa. The only concern with those two would be the dominoe effect.

TX
If Norte Dame fires Kelly, I think Matt Rhule would be a solid pick up for them. He's done a fantastic job at Temple. Proven track record compared to Ohio State coordinators whose names will assuredly get thrown into the mix.

Oregon will look to hire an exciting coach to get their fans reinvested. Not sure who that is at this point. Maybe Harsin at Boise? Lane Kiffin possibly.

Coach Ken would also be an interesting look at either school if those schools are willing. Phenomenal coach if a little unconventional. Could get either of those programs back to the top with the level of athlete they're able to recruit.

I have always wondered if Notre Dame would ever take a look at Ken N from Navy...Would UND fans stand for a triple option offense? Kiffin to Oregon would make sense to me and would probably keep Phil Knight happy.

I think TUnwill dodge the bullet this year. Next year we'll have to see how A&M does...Sumlin's seat is pretty toasty as expectation in College Station have been over inflated since they moved to the SEC.

And someone will take Charlie Strong. He's still a good coach.

If Norte Dame fires Kelly, I think Matt Rhule would be a solid pick up for them. He's done a fantastic job at Temple. Proven track record compared to Ohio State coordinators whose names will assuredly get thrown into the mix.

Oregon will look to hire an exciting coach to get their fans reinvested. Not sure who that is at this point. Maybe Harsin at Boise? Lane Kiffin possibly.

Coach Ken would also be an interesting look at either school if those schools are willing. Phenomenal coach if a little unconventional. Could get either of those programs back to the top with the level of athlete they're able to recruit.

I think Notre Dame's next HC will be an established P5 HC. Notre Dame has suffered a run of very bad hires in terms of consistency. I don't see Ruhle or any setting G5 HC being of interest. IMO Notre Dame turns to the NFL, pulls a HC out of retirement, or hires an established P5 coach from a lower profile school. I see Kiffin as a better fit at Houston vs Oregon. I also think Oregon turns the NFL, maybe try to lure Pete Carroll back to CFB or rescue old friend Chip Kelly. I also agree on Harsin from Boise as a candidate as well.

I don't see there being much interest in Ken N. IMO that style of offense will not fly at schools with annual NC aspirations.

Two up and coming G5 HC's likely to receive offers are Jay Gruden (WKU) and PJ Fleck (WMU).

From the recycle bin, Les Miles, Charlie Strong, Chip Kelly, Rick Neuhiesel, and Lane Kiffin could bereal possibilities to land another P5 gig. If Rich Rod and/or Todd Graham get axed, they are likely to land on their feet as HC's aswell, however imo unlikely at another P5 gig.

IMO Todd Graham is better fit for Baylor than Chad Morris, and I bet he would listen to Baylor and bolt from Zona State to save face. Is Graham too much like Briles in terms of doing whatever it takes to win? No secret TG always looks for every possible advantage and makes you question if he might sell his soul, however despite his arrogance he seems more likely to hold players accountable and to a higher standard. He definitely knows Texas and will be on a very, very hot-seat in Tempe if he survives his end season evaluation.

Interesting that Fresno hired former Cal HC Jeff Tedford. Both Nevada and SJSU parted ways too,appears to be a busy carousel out west between PAC & MWC.

TX

Last edited:
I have always wondered if Notre Dame would ever take a look at Ken N from Navy...Would UND fans stand for a triple option offense? Kiffin to Oregon would make sense to me and would probably keep Phil Knight happy.

I think TUnwill dodge the bullet this year. Next year we'll have to see how A&M does...Sumlin's seat is pretty toasty as expectation in College Station have been over inflated since they moved to the SEC.

And someone will take Charlie Strong. He's still a good coach.
It took Graham 5 years to build up his stock before a larger school came calling.

IMO it will take Coach Monty leading TU to a NY6 bowl game to get the attention of a major program. I think he could land a TT, KU, KSU, Mizz, or OSU job without taking Tulsa to a NY6 bowl, but rather winning 8+ games 4 out of 5 seasons as TG did.

A school like A&M is unlikley going to the same route they did when they hired Sumlin. At that time A&M was in the Big 12, there profile is much greater now and they should be able to poach another P5 for an established HC such as what Arkansas did with Bielema. Look at LSU, they had reservations pursuing an up and coming and elected to stick with someone they knew well and someone with years of P5 experience.

Chad Morris to Baylor is one of the most profoundly ridiculous rumors in the carousel right now. He has not accomplished much at SMU, certainly not enough to warrant a job as good as Baylor.

TX

Emig at the Tulsa World keeps saying how Monty will be looking at Houston. This is another writer that cannot get away from thinking Tulsa is horrible and the Big 12 is the greatest conference on earth! Charlie Strong is and will be a good hire for someone. He did not have a chance at Texas.

Taggart would also be a good choice for Notre Dame now that I think about it. More conventional than Ken.

Of course this could all change with a couple rebound seasons from people, but there are some interesting names squarely on the hot seat for next season.
- Texas A&M
- Texas Tech
- Arkansas
- Ole Miss
- Mississippi State
- UCLA
- Arizona
- Arizona State
- Maryland
- Boston College

I only image that Monty would go to Texas or SEC but who knows for certain.

I don't think Monty goes to Houston. I keep hearing Lincoln Riley is the one they want. The current Houston DC is also a hot name there and that might be to keep the big time recruits Herman brought in on that side of the ball happy, like Ed Oliver. A&M, maybe Tech next year. If the Ole Miss job opens and they come calling I'd be worried. That may happen sooner than later with all the NCAA issues Friese has brought in.

Herman didn't retain a single member of Strong's staff after 10 minute individual interviews with each of them. Why even bother? 10 minutes??? Wonder if Gilbert and Mattox are regretting getting on that plane last December

Last edited:
Herman didn't retain a single member of Strong's staff after 10 minute individual interviews with each of them. Why even bother? 10 minutes??? Wonder if Gilbert and Mattox are regretting getting on that plane last December
They knew exactly what they were getting themselves in to. That's why they almost didn't go and it took a pcintigent of Strong, the AD, and the university president to wrestle them away. But they just made more than they ever have before. And that ten minute interview got them three times this years salary. So good deal for them!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT