ADVERTISEMENT

Herman to Texas

Supposedly Morris just turned down a 5 year, $25 million offer from Baylor

Supposedly Morris just turned down a 5 year, $25 million offer from Baylor
Not even Morris wanted to touch that dumpster fire and I don't think SMU is bumping his salary to that level either. Hope they don't get smart and come after Monty.

I don't believe Monty is an option for Baylor.
I'm thinking Todd Graham is ideal for this job. He could probably use that "Posse is on my tail" strategy that Haith used when he left Mizzou for TU.

Furthermore, Graham is a Texas guy, i've always thought he was well suited for Tech, but Baylor is an even better gig despite the scandal.

TX

Reactions: scotty0912
Les Miles?

Go TU!!!

Agree on Miles too.

I'm not sure which is harder to believe, Morris turning down that much money or Baylor offering Morris that much money. If true, Morris will likely never receive a better offer the rest of his career. I believe $5 mil per year would be in the neighborhood of the highest paid coaches in the Big 12.

Chad is a damn good coordinator, but he hasn't done squat at SMU. The state of TU and SMU football after 2014 were not all that different, TU not so much in complete disarray, but neither had kids who were willing to run through a brick wall, capable of playing winning football. Morris gets all the attention, yet Monty gave immediate results. Apparently Blankenship did a better job bringing in talent compared to Junifer.

I'm not sold Morris is the real-deal. IIRC when Morris interviewed to replace Graham his idea of a coaching staff was predominately a bunch of his buddies coaching HS football in Texas. It's really difficult to assemble a quality coaching staff when you haven't been making the rounds at the college level. Even Blankenship had trouble, he had to reach out to guys who were washed up, guys he only knew because they recruited Union kids a decade ago. Look at his SMU staff, a hand full of guys he worked with in Tulsa, guys Monty may well have not retained.

TX

Last edited:
Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Les Miles to Houston is pretty intriguing.

Wait 5 years/$24.5mil was Morris' counter?!

From dmn: "A source said that Morris had countered with a five-year, $24.5-million offer that Baylor did not approve."

What the.

From what i've read, Holgerson is a legit contender for Houston. Apparently Dana does not have a good relationship with his new AD. He turned down a contract extension before the season started.

I'm not so sure WV is a better job than UH, especially with the obstacles of traveling and losing the Florida pipeline Rich Rod cultivated when WV was in the Big East.

TX

per Joe Duarte of the Chronicle, Monty is on UH's radar, but they're aiming much higher. IMO it's possible Monty's narrative to the media will eventually be a confirmation he is not leaving TU for UH. I could see him doing this to squash uncertainty, speculation, and distraction. If it becomes apparent he is not a top 5 choice, he may well not want to get involved in a drawn out process. If UH truly has a high level of P5 head coaching interest, it's possible UH will not name a new HC before Christmas.

..... refer to the slide show attached to the article

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars...ho-s-staying-who-s-10638134.php#photo-8703734

TX

From dmn: "A source said that Morris had countered with a five-year, $24.5-million offer that Baylor did not approve."

What the.

If I were Morris I'd make a ridiculous counter like that to in order to take over their dumpster fire. I expect whoever takes that job ends up being fired and have to go to a lower tier school do to all the issues going on.

per Joe Duarte of the Chronicle, Monty is on UH's radar, but they're aiming much higher. IMO it's possible Monty's narrative to the media will eventually be a confirmation he is not leaving TU for UH. I could see him doing this to squash uncertainty, speculation, and distraction. If it becomes apparent he is not a top 5 choice, he may well not want to get involved in a drawn out process. If UH truly has a high level of P5 head coaching interest, it's possible UH will not name a new HC before Christmas.

..... refer to the slide show attached to the article

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars...ho-s-staying-who-s-10638134.php#photo-8703734

TX
That's an interesting list of candidates. Holgersen is intriguing since I think he hates it in West Virginia...he doesn't strike me as a lover of banjos and rednecks. Dykes seems a real possibility too as well as the two current UH assistants and Riley. Funny thing is UH could probably have a riles at a highly reduced rate considering everything...he just wants back in the game.

If I were Morris I'd make a ridiculous counter like that to in order to take over their dumpster fire. I expect whoever takes that job ends up being fired and have to go to a lower tier school do to all the issues going on.
The Oregon job just became available.

UH's main problem is Fertitta. His house of business cards is about to fall.

would hope we are quietly working on a raise and extension. Surprised nothing has leaked out
TU is really good at that stuff. No one had a clue Haith was in the mix until he was on a plane here to be introduced.

It is now thought that Baylor is going to pursue Dykes from Cal.

Reactions: jesterondirt
Here is how I see this Coaching round robin go this year.

1) Baylor - Les Miles reason he has ties to Louisiana,Texas and Oklahoma recruiting grounds. He has studied Baylor, Houston and Tulsa Offenses since he been fired.

2) Notre Dame-PJ Fleck he is familiar with recruiting in Michigan, Ohio, Illinois and Wisconsin.

3) Oregon-Lane Kiffin will be the Head Coach at Oregon reason He know California, he has ties to Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and Florida. He know what kind of players he need to play in a championship. He is far away from the SEC.

4) Houston-Todd Orlando He has been a good defensive coach and he will continue UH type offense.

5) Arizona State- Todd Graham no other up and coming coach who can recruit to AZ.

6) Arizona-Rich Rodriguez no other up and coming coach to steal.

Here are some Coaches to watch

Bob Davie

Craig Bohl

Rocky Long
Bohl is the only one I can see getting a chance to further his career at a P5...I think that ship has sailed on Bob Davie and Rocky Long. Don't get me wrong, I think they've done a fantastic job where they're at, but I don't think P5s or Notre Dame are looking at older coaches simply because of recruiting. Seems kids want to be wooed by the energetic younger coaches.

Bohl is older but a hot name and with Wentz doing well in his rookie season with Philadelphia, kids will know Bohl can get them to the NFL. And he turned Wyoming around pretty quickly as well. I could see Bohl ending up at a lower tier P5 (Arizona, Purdue, Minnesota, Iowa State) but I don't think a school like Oregon is going to come calling.

As for your previous list, I agree with most of it except for Fleck to Notre Dame. I don't think Notre Dame is quite ready to take that chance of jumping in on a guy who has been moderately successful at a G5 and who has only been a HC for 2 years. I see Notre Dame going after, say, Dino Babers at Syracuse (who I think would kill at UND). I like Kiffin to Oregon, a lot. I think the Tennessee and USC gigs probably taught him some valuable lessons about how the HC gig works. Yeah, he was a disaster at those places but probably moreso because he simply wasn't ready for them, especially USC. Had he stayed in Tennessee 2-3 years I think he would have been really successful there.

Houston- not sure where they are going to go but I have a feeling they are going to go after a sitting HC because that's how full of themselves they are. However, IMO, Orlando is a slam dunk choice especially with who they have on the defensive side of the ball. If Applewhite follows Herman to UT (which I guess may be in doubt because Major has some major legal issues pending in Austin). I would then look for Orlando to try and lure Sonny Cumbie away from TCU and give him the full reigns of the offense instead of being a co-OC with the Frogs (and if that fails, I wouldn't be surprised if Kendall Briles ends up there). And don't forget, there are some high $$$ boosters in Houston who are big fans of Art Briles and favor bring CAB back.

When you need to win to get bowl eligible and lose to your instate rival who only completed three, count them all, three passes, you are usually looking for work. If the buyout isn't too big, TG is probably toast at ASU. The box score brings the lulz. Gave up 56 points and over 500 yards rushing to a ho-hum Arizona team that TG should know inside and out, since he was Rodriguez's DC.

When you need to win to get bowl eligible and lose to your instate rival who only completed three, count them all, three passes, you are usually looking for work. If the buyout isn't too big, TG is probably toast at ASU. The box score brings the lulz. Gave up 56 points and over 500 yards rushing to a ho-hum Arizona team that TG should know inside and out, since he was Rodriguez's DC.
Pretty sure the buyout is massive

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT