ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Birthday!

old_goat_23

I.T.S. Senior
Dec 4, 2003
Redneckistan
Happy 239th Birthday to the United States Navy!

Founded on October 13, 1775, the USN began life as the "Continental Navy" by act of the Continental Congress. The Continental Navy consisted of 20 warships during the American Revolution (total of 50 ships, the other 30 were required to transport grog to the 20 surface combatants). The actual US Navy was empowered in the US Constitution (1789). To fulfill the role of a standing, full time Navy Congress commissioned the construction of 6 frigates in 1794. The actual "Department of the Navy" was established by Congress April 30, 1798.

Several dates have been used as the birthday for the USN with the current date of October 13 having been established by Admiral Zumwalt (CNO at the time) in 1972.

Thanks to all of my friends and teammates who served (or are serving) with the US Navy. Happy birthday and BEAT ARMY!!

This post was edited on 10/13 10:09 AM by old_goat_23

Happy Birthday, Navy

I'm still pissed at Samuel Adams for blocking John Paul Jones promotion to Admiral. He does make good beer though.

Thanks for the history note. The way it's going, the Navy could be back down to 50 ships in a few decades.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT