ADVERTISEMENT

Gus Malzahn/Lovie Smith

Texas' immediate hire of Steve Sarkisian is extremely puzzling. He didn't fare well at USC which has almost as much money to waste on football, almost as many top level recruits in their backyard and name recognition that at least equals Texas. Why does Texas think he will fare any better than Herman? Seriously? The last 3 coaches all recruited the same 5* athletes and got the same results. What makes them think that all of a sudden Sarkisian is going to beat OU? (It's not happening next year and if Grinch sticks around for 2-3 years, it's not going to happen in that time frame).

Reactions: TU4ever2
Texas' immediate hire of Steve Sarkisian is extremely puzzling. He didn't fare well at USC which has almost as much money to waste on football, almost as many top level recruits in their backyard and name recognition that at least equals Texas. Why does Texas think he will fare any better than Herman? Seriously? The last 3 coaches all recruited the same 5* athletes and got the same results. What makes them think that all of a sudden Sarkisian is going to beat OU? (It's not happening next year and if Grinch sticks around for 2-3 years, it's not going to happen in that time frame).
Presumably, he will be sober. That will be different.

Never heard that Herman tipped the bottle back too often...then again he kisses his players so it wouldn't surprise me either.
Sark has a well documented drinking problem and rumors of other abusive substances,

Sark has a well documented drinking problem and rumors of other abusive substances,
Ah...never heard that. Substance abuse is not nearly as bad as sexual abuse or condoning sexual violence like the Urban Meyers and Art Briles of the world. You can help heal alcoholics. It's nearly impossible to fix people who ignore right from wrong to maintain their own success over a prolonged period of time.

Ah...never heard that. Substance abuse is not nearly as bad as sexual abuse or condoning sexual violence like the Urban Meyers and Art Briles of the world. You can help heal alcoholics. It's nearly impossible to fix people who ignore right from wrong to maintain their own success over a prolonged period of time.
Amen to that.

USC knew he had an alcohol problem and hired him anyway without requiring him to seek treatment. Then fired him for alcohol related reasons. He lost his lawsuit against the school. But it was bad. Much more than Schnellenberger showing up to practice sweating out last night’s scotch in the August sun.

Then Austin may be a bad location to land.
Of course, UT’s first choice was Urban Meyer as they talked with him in November. He said his health would not allow him to coach.

Never heard that Herman tipped the bottle back too often...then again he kisses his players so it wouldn't surprise me either.
It always cracks me up when people bring up kissing his players. Men all over Europe do it every day of the year without any after affects on their masculinity.(And the upper crusts of US society do it as well.) It does get a little exaggerated when alcohol is involved. Just like any greeting, anywhere.

It’s weird dude. Not because of masculinity, but because it’s awkward and nobody does that here
You haven't been to a society event in a big city?

I realize people here don't usually touch the cheek, but same thing to me.

I know it's not something people do in common society here, but that's why I find it funny. Because something isn't common here, everybody weirds out.

You have a lifetime record of 71% and 5-1 in bowls and get canned for a guy with a record 20 points lower while coaching some of the best players ever. And he may have a substance abuse relapse. Herman must be dumbfounded.

You have a lifetime record of 71% and 5-1 in bowls and get canned for a guy with a record 20 points lower while coaching some of the best players ever. And he may have a substance abuse relapse. Herman must be dumbfounded.
I would take him!

Reactions: HuffyCane
I’m sure many of Herman’s players don’t mind his paternal kiss knowing the reason for it but Jesus help me to understand that coach in Florida’s wife kissing all of the player before a game. My guess she has some suppressed sexual fantasies involving young men of every color. Oversexualization of athletes is not uncommon. I’m not sure what it is but it’s creepy.... even creepier than being called Momma which is pretty creepy ......

In Lebanese culture it is common to greet with cheek kisses. Among Christians and the more secular Muslims it crosses the sexes.

In Lebanese culture it is common to greet with cheek kisses. Among Christians and the more secular Muslims it crosses the sexes.
Yep, when I lived in France for a year, it wasn't anything weird for me, even at first.

I had a male friend I hung out 24/7 in Tulsa for a year, until he went back home after he had been in the States for 3 years. He invited me to go across the pond whenever I felt like it. I went to Bordeaux to hang out with him, and check out the country. He got permission from his girlfriends parents for me to stay with them. We greeted with a bizou every other time I saw him.

Wasn't any big deal. It is done in more places in the world than those that it isn't.(unless you count geography not countries) Almost every culture has it. Some cultures just don't have it in the lower classes or amongst associates that aren't close friends or family. It's common in Latin America too.

Yeah, this isn't a cultured vs uncultured thing. I've been to France, England, Ireland, Germany, Israel, Barbados, Mexico, Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan, Canada, Trinidad....

An American football coach kissing his players is weird and that's why he gets made fun of for it

Anybody who was on campus with their eyes open could see that rules were being broken across the athletic department during that era, including some football players. Whether Coach knew about it or didn’t want to know about it is a different issue. From that standpoint, I don’t know that he personally broke any rules, or knew people who did, but there was enough improper benefits being paid that you would need to ask questions if you were there. Some of us on this board were. It was nothing in comparison to SMU and others, but still concerning. A few cars, but not an Eric Dickerson Trans Am. A few cash payouts, but not $10,000 in a suitcase for Hart Lee Dykes. A lot of suits and stereo equipment. Free groceries. Petty stuff in comparison to other nearby schools at the time. Most got nothing. Indeed a lot of them were just lucky to be there. Henshaw didn’t stick around long. Maybe he didn’t notice. Maybe he did and got out as quick as possible. I don’t know. No flag no foul is a reasonable way to look at it for some I guess

Not to mention one of our more talented teams going 3-8 for no reason at all beyond he appeared to not know or care how to be a Head Coach. Brutal early schedule. #1 OU, OSU, UF, a ranked Arkansas team many thought could beat OU at the time. But some late losses for no explainable reason.

There were rules being broken everywhere in the 70s & early 80s. Top players at many schools were given many gifts of cash, clothing and even vehicles. They were paid a lot of $ for summer jobs that involved minimal to no actual work. Terry Miller, star RB at OSU, had a new silver corvette & walked around campus in a full length mink coat. TU had nothing on OU, OSU & other big state schools in that era.

The American mafia doesn’t do the cheek kissing in public anymore as it was drawing too much attention.

Reactions: Sbellini
So back to discussing coaches. Hearing that OSUs DC is a candidate to become the DC on Bret Bielema’s staff at Illinois. If that happens my guess is Gundy looks up the Cimarron Tpk to Tulsa and Gillespie. That would suck a$$

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
So back to discussing coaches. Hearing that OSUs DC is a candidate to become the DC on Bret Bielema’s staff at Illinois. If that happens my guess is Gundy looks up the Cimarron Tpk to Tulsa and Gillespie. That would suck a$$

Ugh, no bueno....
P5, more money, still close to family.
He could well up there.

You haven't been to a society event in a big city?

I realize people here don't usually touch the cheek, but same thing to me.

I know it's not something people do in common society here, but that's why I find it funny. Because something isn't common here, everybody weirds out.
No wonder high society is out of touch..

The Sarkisian hire is funny.

Apparently no minority candidates were considered.. ( unless hyperchondriachs and alkies are minorities now).. with all the flap at UT about minority relations and the enlightened high society air in Austin, i would have thought they would have at least brought in a minority coach to look like they were trying..

The Sarkisian hire is funny.

Apparently no minority candidates were considered.. ( unless hyperchondriachs and alkies are minorities now).. with all the flap at UT about minority relations and the enlightened high society air in Austin, i would have thought they would have at least brought in a minority coach to look like they were trying..
He is the son of Armenian parents who moved first to Iran and then to the United States. I’m sure this issue was studied closely. Whether he claims a racial or ethnic status I have no idea. He’s not a Muslim. His status as a Catholic was pretty widely discussed when he was named the starter at QB for BYU.

He is the son of Armenian parents who moved first to Iran and then to the United States. I’m sure this issue was studied closely. Whether he claims a racial or ethnic status I have no idea. He’s not a Muslim. His status as a Catholic was pretty widely discussed when he was named the starter at QB for BYU.
Wasnt really what I meant.

Was actually thinking of that joke of a rule the NFL has so they can feel good about retreading another lame white guy from the country club.

The hire shows little to no imagination.

In that respect, i do marvel at some of the searches Tulsa does. In some cases there is forward thinking and imagination..

I would be curious if he claims his alcoholism as a disability and whether the University will be claiming it on their disclosures and progress reports.

Fun fact for the unindoctrinated, "ian" at the end of the last name is always highly suggestive of Armenian heritage.

USC knew he had an alcohol problem and hired him anyway without requiring him to seek treatment. Then fired him for alcohol related reasons. He lost his lawsuit against the school. But it was bad. Much more than Schnellenberger showing up to practice sweating out last night’s scotch in the August sun.
😆

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT