ADVERTISEMENT

Gus Malzahn/Lovie Smith

I like Lovie a lot but he is now really an NFL guy. If he couldn’t recruit and win at UI (Chicago and St Louis footprint) he would have a really hard time at TU.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Arkansas St is probably kicking themselves that they jumped on Butch Jones yesterday!

Reactions: TULSARISING
Texas Tech is likely moving on from Wells. Gus would be a candidate there.

We won’t do anything with Monty this year MF Gillespie will end up DC making $750k in the P5 next year.

They are putting the money together for Briles. He’s an alum. The Liberty thing is just driving the price up a little. It will be interesting if either school actually pulls the trigger. His team lost in the state semi-finals last night. Good luck finding any press coverage that quotes him or uses his name. I don’t know how you hire someone who has been cancelled by the Mayberry Gazette.

Gus will more likely be a candidate for the other UT in Austin.

Man, Illinois broke our heart with Bill Self. What if they do it again with Phillip Montgomery??????😱

I am holding out hope someone will help us out and this will truly be a miracle year. I have other things more important to pray about, but I have been good all year and am asking 🎅 with hope he comes through 🤞

Reactions: HuffyCane
Arkansas St is probably kicking themselves that they jumped on Butch Jones yesterday!

Gus already pulled a Buzz Peterson on Ark St when he left after one year for the Auburn job. Would they risk being burned again? Maybe so.

We won’t do anything with Monty this year MF Gillespie will end up DC making $750k in the P5 next year.

If we manage to beat Cincy on Saturday Monty will be among the leading candidates somewhere. Given the number of schools that would love to hire Malzahn as HC I don’t think we’d have a chance there.

Reactions: astonmartin708
If we manage to beat Cincy on Saturday Monty will be among the leading candidates somewhere. Given the number of schools that would love to hire Malzahn as HC I don’t think we’d have a chance there.
Sure...probably true. Never doubt a desperate AD or GM to make a dumb decision.

Reactions: URedskin54
Sure...probably true. Never doubt a desperate AD or GM to make a dumb decision.

Yeah ADs and University Presidents often know surprisingly little about who they hire besides whose name is popping during a good season. That’s how Texas ended up hiring Sterling Gilbert away from us, thinking he had been calling the plays here.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Yeah ADs and University Presidents often know surprisingly little about who they hire besides whose name is popping during a good season. That’s how Texas ended up hiring Sterling Gilbert away from us, thinking he had been calling the plays here.
You’d be surprised how much the agents, search companies, tv, and certain corporations are able to exert direct influence while narrowing and controlling the process at all but a few schools. All with no ethical constraints or legal concerns. I’m still confused how Stead hired Montgomery so quickly.

You’d be surprised how much the agents, search companies, tv, and certain corporations are able to exert direct influence while narrowing and controlling the process at all but a few schools. All with no ethical constraints or legal concerns. I’m still confused how Stead hired Montgomery so quickly.
No competition?

That was the year that there were 3 major assistant coaches up for jobs. Herman, Morris, and Monty. Monty was most people’s 2nd or 3rd choice of the three and SMU, TU, UH were all looking for coaches. Some might argue that we got what was perceived at the time as the 3rd pick. We were the three best schools with openings that year.

They are putting the money together for Briles. He’s an alum. The Liberty thing is just driving the price up a little. It will be interesting if either school actually pulls the trigger. His team lost in the state semi-finals last night. Good luck finding any press coverage that quotes him or uses his name. I don’t know how you hire someone who has been cancelled by the Mayberry Gazette.
Texas Tech is keeping Wells for one more year and as a concession they've fired Yost, the OC and QB coach. Don't be surprised if Harrell ends up getting a call from Texas Tech to be the OC/QB coach with the side promise he'll be the HC in a year if Wells doesn't get things turned around. Briles is more and more looking like the guy at Liberty if Freeze leaves for Auburn. Liberty has no scruples and they'll hire Briles in a heartbeat and quote a scripture about forgiveness and God's grace and mercy to justify it.

I'm guessing Lovie is done as a HC at all levels for now and I'm sure he'll get some looks from NFL teams to be their DC.

Reactions: drboobay
The Emig article in the Tulsa World the other day said there were about 15 applicants they looked at before hiring Monty.
You misunderstood my statement. I meant there was no competition for Monty's employment, not for the job. And it was meant as a joke.

Well, Coach and Mad Dog were 2 of the 15, so.....
I applied for the job the year they hired Henshaw as coach. This was back when they had to post every job opening on a bulletin board.

I was a sophomore at the time and listed intramurals and my work study as an athletic tutor as qualifying experience. They actually sent me a rejection letter. I wish I still had it. They could not have done worse with me at the helm and I would have broken fewer NCAA rules.

I don’t remember Henshaw breaking any NCAA rules, but he only stayed one year before leaving for the NFL. Then my friend Rader was named coach. He could have taken his success after the 1991 season elsewhere to coach, but stayed at Tulsa even though there was little support for him and the program in many ways.

Reactions: TUMU and HuffyCane
Anybody who was on campus with their eyes open could see that rules were being broken across the athletic department during that era, including some football players. Whether Coach knew about it or didn’t want to know about it is a different issue. From that standpoint, I don’t know that he personally broke any rules, or knew people who did, but there was enough improper benefits being paid that you would need to ask questions if you were there. Some of us on this board were. It was nothing in comparison to SMU and others, but still concerning. A few cars, but not an Eric Dickerson Trans Am. A few cash payouts, but not $10,000 in a suitcase for Hart Lee Dykes. A lot of suits and stereo equipment. Free groceries. Petty stuff in comparison to other nearby schools at the time. Most got nothing. Indeed a lot of them were just lucky to be there. Henshaw didn’t stick around long. Maybe he didn’t notice. Maybe he did and got out as quick as possible. I don’t know. No flag no foul is a reasonable way to look at it for some I guess

Not to mention one of our more talented teams going 3-8 for no reason at all beyond he appeared to not know or care how to be a Head Coach. Brutal early schedule. #1 OU, OSU, UF, a ranked Arkansas team many thought could beat OU at the time. But some late losses for no explainable reason.

Last edited:
Texas Tech is keeping Wells for one more year and as a concession they've fired Yost, the OC and QB coach. Don't be surprised if Harrell ends up getting a call from Texas Tech to be the OC/QB coach with the side promise he'll be the HC in a year if Wells doesn't get things turned around. Briles is more and more looking like the guy at Liberty if Freeze leaves for Auburn. Liberty has no scruples and they'll hire Briles in a heartbeat and quote a scripture about forgiveness and God's grace and mercy to justify it.

I'm guessing Lovie is done as a HC at all levels for now and I'm sure he'll get some looks from NFL teams to be their DC.

I honestly don't understand why people would want to coach in college over the NFL. I guess if you really enjoy recruiting and feeling like a king over people's careers.

I honestly don't understand why people would want to coach in college over the NFL. I guess if you really enjoy recruiting and feeling like a king over people's careers.
Arguably, if you have the elite ability to coach an NFL team, you possess the ability to coach at the best college programs. The total compensation, job security, and facilities at those programs is typically better than the bottom half of the NFL. Plenty of 1st round draft picks have arrived at the Bengals facilities and been shocked at what they found. Nick Saban could never get a deal in the NFL like he has in Alabama, and that’s on campus and on the field. Not to mention he runs the state. Switzer hangs out with billionaires and Presidents. You don’t get that coaching the Jaguars, except maybe the owner. There’s a reason Stoops stayed in Norman and Meyer won’t go pro.

I think Bielema could be a good hire for Illinois.

He just needs to hire a more innovative offensive coordinator than he's had before.

Reactions: HuffyCane
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT