ADVERTISEMENT

Furloughs

TU 1978

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2009
I suspect many of you received the email from Levit today regarding the latest from TU. This was the content -

Dear Friends,

Over recent weeks, members of the TU team have stepped up with creativity and hard work to keep our educational mission on track during the COVID-19 pandemic. As I have shared in recent emails, faculty have shifted to online instruction, and our IT teams have provided round-the-clock support. Our Professional Development and Alumni Engagement teams have made new online connections with alumni and donors. Our alumni have stepped up to contact current and prospective students, sharing their own TU stories and words of encouragement.

As remarkable as these and many other adaptations have been, it is likely that this pandemic will present setbacks for some time to come. More hard decisions have to be made to help TU “go the distance” and emerge in a good position to resume regular operations when that time finally arrives.

Yesterday, I announced a plan that will furlough most non-faculty employees for periods ranging from 2 to 15 weeks. About an hour ago, I held a virtual town hall with our campus community to explain why this action is necessary given TU’s financial realities.

The impacts of COVID-19 have already cost the university $4.6 million in housing and dining refunds to students, lost athletics revenue, and unexpected technology costs. We anticipate an additional revenue loss of at least $6 million over the summer and into the fall because of declining freshman enrollment, reductions in student retention, and the loss of summer camp and other fees (e.g., admission to Gilcrease Museum, which remains closed). These losses could grow as our freshman class solidifies, and they compound the difficulties of an already challenged budget.

This was a very difficult decision, but there is one bit of relief. Of our impacted employees, 85% are eligible for federal and state benefits related to lost income; these could make total weekly income comparable to, or even greater than, their regular weekly TU salaries. Our HR department is working with employees to explain where and how to access this assistance.

Shorter furloughs apply to positions that are currently productive from home, while longer periods apply to facilities-based areas that are essentially closed for now (e.g., Athletics, Gilcrease Museum, Physical Plant). There are a small number of exemptions for positions critical to campus health, safety, and security, but in general, the plan is built around broad participation — the understanding that we are all in this together. (To be transparent on this point: I am taking a voluntary 2-week reduction in salary, as will all members of my leadership team.)

I want to give special credit and thanks to our contracted coaches throughout TU Athletics, who, true to the ideals of team play, chose to join the furlough even though their contracts were not structured that way. Many of our faculty members have also joined the effort in a similar way.

I also want to thank each of you — our alumni and friends — who has supported TU in recent weeks — financially, or by becoming a mentor through our utulsa connect platform, or by sharing a summer internship opportunity. Your partnership boosts our budget and our spirits in such a meaningful way.

Just this week, it has been especially uplifting to see a strong response to the email sent by Vicki Hendrickson, Director of Student Financial Services. She detailed how the Student Emergency Fund is keeping students enrolled at TU during this crisis. The gifts coming in response to that message have been generous and very often accompanied by kind comments. Thank you for stepping forward to help our students.

As always, we hope you and yours are staying healthy and safe. I will continue to keep you informed as decisions are made about all things TU. Ed Yong, a science writer for The Atlantic, has a recent piece online entitled, “Our Pandemic Summer.” In it, he recognizes there are no simple solutions to this complex situation, reminding us, “The only way out is through – past a turbulent spring, across an unusual summer, and into an unsettled year beyond.” We will get through. Together.

With thanks,

Janet Levit
Interim President

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News