ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Broyles Dies

Not much headline mention of his passing. Seemed to be on the back pages of sporting news.

Outside media outlets with a heavy following amongst Arky alums, there's no reason to spend space on him. He never won a national championship and many people believe he was a bigot for his refusal to integrate the football team for fear of angering boosters. Nolan wasn't a fan that's for sure. As an AD he was the gold standard for meddling hyper-paranoid self promoting ego maniacal ex coaches in that position. He kept that job 15 years longer than he should have had it. He thought he was still the coach to the end. He ran Malzahn out of town because he disagreed with Malzahns coaching concepts, not just in terms of x/o, but the use of multiple players in the same position in a game.

People like him are rarely celebrated at their death. I don't want to speak bad of the dead, but his reputation and lifelong habit of hiring crooks and attacking people who don't deserve it speaks for itself.

Reactions: TU 1978
Yeah I figured the racist element was what stopped him from getting much front line coverage.

Outside media outlets with a heavy following amongst Arky alums, there's no reason to spend space on him. He never won a national championship and many people believe he was a bigot for his refusal to integrate the football team for fear of angering boosters. Nolan wasn't a fan that's for sure. As an AD he was the gold standard for meddling hyper-paranoid self promoting ego maniacal ex coaches in that position. He kept that job 15 years longer than he should have had it. He thought he was still the coach to the end. He ran Malzahn out of town because he disagreed with Malzahns coaching concepts, not just in terms of x/o, but the use of multiple players in the same position in a game.

People like him are rarely celebrated at their death. I don't want to speak bad of the dead, but his reputation and lifelong habit of hiring crooks and attacking people who don't deserve it speaks for itself.

He did win their only national championship in football in 1964.

http://www.uark.edu/features/a-national-championship-that-changed-college-football.php

Alabama won the AP and UPI poll that year, the two most widely accepted polls of the day.

Arkansas won the Football Writers poll, who picked their winner based on the outcome of the bowl games. Something no other poll did at the time.

Notre Dame also claimed a share of the title at the time with one loss and the Heisman Winner in another poll. They do not claim it today.

So I'm going with he didn't win squat, but I'm betting he had the writers well oiled at the time.

Nice Eulogy

BIH, Frank Broyles... the man who destroyed the SWC, Big 8 conference, and changed the fabric of college football into a patchwork of non regional made for tv rivalries. His segregationist roots gave us the culture of haves and have nots that we have today.

(Spits on grave)

BIH, Frank Broyles... the man who destroyed the SWC, Big 8 conference, and changed the fabric of college football into a patchwork of non regional made for tv rivalries. His segregationist roots gave us the culture of haves and have nots that we have today.

(Spits on grave)
Thanks for finding the most tactful way of saying what many others were thinking.

Reactions: TU_BLA

(Spits on grave)
But how do you really feel?

Reactions: HHOOTter
Spitting wasn't my first thought but the rest about sums it up for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT