ADVERTISEMENT

Fool me once,

106908094-16257424102021-07-08t085029z_24976248_16382334_rtrmadp_0_hockey-nhl-tbl-mtl.jpeg

That would take a small moving truck.

Reactions: lawpoke87
106908094-16257424102021-07-08t085029z_24976248_16382334_rtrmadp_0_hockey-nhl-tbl-mtl.jpeg

That would take a small moving truck.
It would be extremely difficult to steal ^ Stanley Cup. When not in possession of a player, it is housed at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. When it travels, it basically is treated like the Declaration of Independence with guys who have it in a secure locked case and who wear white gloves when they handle it. After it is won, it spends a day with each player and coach on the winning team. Some have had raging keggers drinking beer from it. Others have driven it around in a convertible like it is a ****ing celebrity. It is the BEST trophy in all of sports if for no other reason than it is presented to the team captain...not an owner or coach like the World Series, Super Bowl, or NBA Championship trophies. Players will not touch it until they've earned that right by winning it, and they won't (typically & traditionally) touch a conference championship trophy as it is not the one they seek (watch the hockey playoffs and when the conference championship is won, someone from the NHl will present the Prince of Wales Trophy (easyern conference) or the Clarence Campbell Bowl (Western conference) to the captain and shake his hand, but the trophy itself usually remains on the presentation table untouched by the captain or players. A team rep will come collect it later. The other awesome thing about the trophy is that every player who has won it is immortalized on the trophy itself. When the bottom ring is filled with names, the largest top ring is removed and sent to the Stanley Cup display in Toronto, and the other rings are all moved up one.

If a person ever tried to steal this Stanley Cup, NHL goons of the past would come and beat the snot out of that person.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It would be extremely difficult to steal ^ Stanley Cup. When not in possession of a player, it is housed at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. When it travels, it basically is treated like the Declaration of Independence with guys who have it in a secure locked case and who wear white gloves when they handle it. After it is won, it spends a day with each player and coach on the winning team. Some have had raging keggers drinking beer from it. Others have driven it around in a convertible like it is a ****ing celebrity. It is the BEST trophy in all of sports if for no other reason than it is presented to the team captain...not an owner or coach like the World Series, Super Bowl, or NBA Championship trophies. Players will not touch it until they've earned that right by winning it, and they won't (typically & traditionally) touch a conference championship trophy as it is not the one they seek (watch the hockey playoffs and when the conference championship is won, someone from the NHl will present the Prince of Wales Trophy (easyern conference) or the Clarence Campbell Bowl (Western conference) to the captain and shake his hand, but the trophy itself usually remains on the presentation table untouched by the captain or players. A team rep will come collect it later. The other awesome thing about the trophy is that every player who has won it is immortalized on the trophy itself. When the bottom ring is filled with names, the largest top ring is removed and sent to the Stanley Cup display in Toronto, and the other rings are all moved up one.

If a person ever tried to steal this Stanley Cup, NHL goons of the past would come and beat the snot out of that person.
Yeah the funny thing is the #. I don't think there are 65 of them.

• Haha
Reactions: TU_BLA
Yeah the funny thing is the #. I don't think there are 65 of them.
Agree. When you mentioned the number I immediately went to people not wanting to overpay for something they can pick up at $10 for something without Stanley embossed on it. I've got several different of the steel vacuum insulated tumblers, none of which say Yeti and yet they still perform the same. Well, Bass Pro sells a Stanley style cup w/ Bass Pro on it for $10. My guess is it will still keep your drink cold or hot for an obscene amount of time.

BTW, did you know that Yeti lids fit *most* of their competitors brands of mugs of the same size? True story...and Yeti's slide lid is better than what some of the other brands can offer.

Not bragging by any means, but I hung out with Brian Trottier at the Hockey HOF one totally random time about 25 years ago. He was bitching about the old NYI GM Al Arbour and I just wanted to say, Let it go, dude.

Not bragging by any means, but I hung out with Brian Trottier at the Hockey HOF one totally random time about 25 years ago. He was bitching about the old NYI GM Al Arbour and I just wanted to say, Let it go, dude.
That's awesome. Those early 80s Islanders teams were something else. So skilled. And tough. One of the last really tough NHL teams before the game started to shift towards speed and finesse (Gretzky and the 80s Oilers teams that took over from the Islanders). It's odd that he would bag on Arbour considering he helped put together and coach those Islanders teams to 4 consecutive Stanley Cup wins.

BTW, I hung out with Bobby Orr once at the Bay State games opening ceremony. I ended up getting his autographs on an old Bay State Bank t-shirt. Probably around 1992.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
That's awesome. Those early 80s Islanders teams were something else. So skilled. And tough. One of the last really tough NHL teams before the game started to shift towards speed and finesse (Gretzky and the 80s Oilers teams that took over from the Islanders). It's odd that he would bag on Arbour considering he helped put together and coach those Islanders teams to 4 consecutive Stanley Cup wins.

BTW, I hung out with Bobby Orr once at the Bay State games opening ceremony. I ended up getting his autographs on an old Bay State Bank t-shirt. Probably around 1992.
My stepdad was a huge Dennis Potvin guy and watched all the games on the old USA network with Al Trautwig on the play by play. I learned to have an appreciation for Billy Smith in the net.

Reactions: TU_BLA
My stepdad was a huge Dennis Potvin guy and watched all the games on the old USA network with Al Trautwig on the play by play. I learned to have an appreciation for Billy Smith in the net.
Sweet! I remember those teams but didn't watch much. Growing up near Boston, I was all about the Bruins. And of course during those days you had the Broad Street Bullies from Philly, the Bruins would beat the snot out of you if you looked at them wrong. The NHL back then was always good for a nice rivalry bench clearer where you'd see the two goaltenders squaring off and fighting. Bruins and Canadiens were always good for at least 1-2 of these a year.

I never really liked the fighting in hockey, mostly because a lot of it was staged between the 2 goons, and every team had at least 1 goon. Now the fights between star players were always something. There was one where Ray Bourgue squared off with Mats Sundin from the Maple Leafs. You're talking the two best players on their respective teams dropping gloves and throwing down. Epic fight. (The equivalent might be if Gretzky and Lemieux (Mario, not Claude) threw down, or in today's hockey, McDavid and Crosby squaring off.

Reactions: Li'l Eric Coley
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT