ADVERTISEMENT

Fire him!

And we gave this joker a 2 year extension

haha

I knew this thread was out there... checked in after the 21-0 run...

Was just sure that certain people would have melted...

The extension is still a joke, but does give insight to just how bad things are at 11th and Delaware

The extension is still a joke, but does give insight to just how bad things are at 11th and Delaware
Man 👨 up and and admit it.

You made your mind up before the game. Quit using what happens or doesn't happen in the game as reasons to excuse.

Not saying u aren't justified.

Reactions: loca2874
Joke's on you.

6-6
One bad loss.
3 to top 10 teams on the road, all close enough to win.

Man 👨 up and and admit it.

You made your mind up before the game. Quit using what happens or doesn't happen in the game as reasons to excuse.

Not saying u aren't justified.
Oh yeah, I fully acknowledge that nothing TU could have done today would have changed my opinion about Monty because, of course, you can't tell anything from a sample size of 1 - one quality win doesn't make him a good coach any more than 1 bad loss makes him a stinker coach.

You have to look at the preponderance of the evidence and over 7 full seasons, we have a lot of evidence to judge from, and I think it's pretty clear. He's 37-46 , so he's a 5.3 wins, 6.6 losses a season coach. I'd also look for signs that the average isn't right, like is he trending, was he bad at first but there's evidence he's pulling the nose up? No, I don't think so, if anything the opposite.

I personally think 5.3 - 6.6 is just about exactly what Monty is (as long as we get enough 2 and 3 win teams a year) but I could be convinced that 5 - 7 is more accurate. Anyway, he'll have outliers where he wins or loses 8 or 9 but if he coached us for an infinite number of seasons (a very real possibility, btw), he'd average out at about 5.3 - 6.6. I guess everyone has to decide if that's good enough, but one win doesn't change who he is.

Reactions: Sbellini
Joke's on you.

6-6
One bad loss.
3 to top 10 teams on the road, all close enough to win.
Are you not counting UC Davis since it's not a D1 school? "We scheduled too hard" is painfully reminiscent of the Doug days.

We also had 4 of our 6 wins over teams with 3 wins or fewer and beat 1 team with a winning record... And lost to a FCS team and a 3 win team

Last edited:
Are you not counting UC Davis since it's not a D1 school? "We scheduled too hard" is painfully reminiscent of the Doug days.

We also had 4 of our 6 wins over teams with 3 wins or fewer and beat 1 team with a winning record... And lost to a FCS team and a 3 win team
Did you miss the words "one bad loss"?

FIRE HIM!

He is a terrible HC. Just terrible. And every other major D1 program would have done so by now. 6-6 is junk. Mediocrity with crap attendance is "cool" ? -- that's insane.

Did you miss the words "one bad loss"?
Oh, so you don't count Navy as a bad loss? They're 3-8 and will probably finish 3-9.

It's interesting to think how my life would have been different if I'd had a grader like you for engineering calculus my sophomore year.... Fast forward, hundreds dying from a bridge collapse b/c doofus got an A even though he can't do math for crap.....

Reactions: TulsaGrad07
Oh, so you don't count Navy as a bad loss? They're 3-8 and will probably finish 3-9.

It's interesting to think how my life would have been different if I'd had a grader like you for engineering calculus my sophomore year.... Fast forward, hundreds dying from a bridge collapse b/c doofus got an A even though he can't do math for crap.....
This is fun. I could've been a door gunner on the space shuttle with that logic

Ugh..nevermind. 2 more years of frustration. Meanwhile..spent all day at the iron bowl with my dad. Roll tide. What an amazing ending!!!

And happy to see we beat smoo. Always a good day when that happens.

It's a thread called "Fire him", did you think we were all going to get on here a sing kumbaya?

Joke is on those who think 6-6 with 4 "winnable" L's is worthy of Monty keeping his job. You probably also think McDonald's has the best hamburgers in town and Pizza Hut has the best pies on the planet.

The "joke" is on those who refuse to recognize that the product on the field is why attendance is down and the program is in trouble. If it was the coof then we wouldn't see sold out stadiums in communities where the local football program really matters. I attended a lower Division game at Valparaiso that had more excitement in the stands than a TU game.

Long time donors are ending their financial relationship with the GHC and Tulsa Atletics over this extension. Tulsa got left holding the bag on the conference realignment game of musical chairs. This list goes on...

But keep on with your mediocre expectations, that position has always fostered excellence (just in case, that was sarcasm).

It's a thread called "Fire him", did you think we were all going to get on here a sing kumbaya?

Joke is on those who think 6-6 with 4 "winnable" L's is worthy of Monty keeping his job. You probably also think McDonald's has the best hamburgers in town and Pizza Hut has the best pies on the planet.

The "joke" is on those who refuse to recognize that the product on the field is why attendance is down and the program is in trouble. If it was the coof then we wouldn't see sold out stadiums in communities where the local football program really matters. I attended a lower Division game at Valparaiso that had more excitement in the stands than a TU game.

Long time donors are ending their financial relationship with the GHC and Tulsa Atletics over this extension. Tulsa got left holding the bag on the conference realignment game of musical chairs. This list goes on...

But keep on with your mediocre expectations, that position has always fostered excellence (just in case, that was sarcasm).
I happen to agree he should be let go.

I also always want to win. Always. And winning makes me happy. And there are only so many times and ways to say he should be let go. It gets old.

I think I know have every ticket office and GHC number blocked on my phone. Their emails go straight to spam. I have two message in the last ten days maybe two weeks on my voice mail from my "personal" contact for Tulsa stuff. I am going to go ahead and return those calls on Monday and get taken off the list.

I have a niece and a couple nephews sad we won't make a bowl trip to wherever it is. Especially after missing last year with the Covid stuff. My brother might buy some individual tickets next year. I am done.

Not just done with the athletics but with the school. It's been a bad four or five years between the nonsense on the academic side. It's been a bad decade with Grag who I wish we had back now and the new worthless guy who will never see the results from this bad decision making; as he will retire or be dead by the time the chickens come home to roost.

I also always want to win. Always. And winning makes me happy. And there are only so many times and ways to say he should be let go. It gets old.

What gets old is having to restate the reasons why he should go when:

"I also want to win. Always. And winning makes me happy."

Because that's pretty common around here. Problem is there hasn't been a lot of happiness and won't be with him around.

I know you are done to, but until the people make it clear to the administration (which is done by repetition on this board, emails, phone calls) they are this will continue. Quit blaming the people trying to make the necessary change and start blaming the people collecting the checks, but not caring enough to do the actual work.

The fans on this board are paying for this, the supporters of the school are paying for this. The administration is getting paid and the only people who can't complain. Otherwise at least these people still care enough to bitch, because seeing pics of the stands there aren't that many left.

Pretty sure our soccer attendance has been about even with our football, which shows what this town and school will support is winners.

Then ignore my posts about it. I also want to win, have put 40 years of my life into the University of Tulsa and have paid my ticket to vent on this board within the bounds set by the moderators. Other have the freedom to ignore me.

Greatest thing in life, freedom of choice.

Reactions: TulsaGrad07
Not just done with the athletics but with the school. It's been a bad four or five years between the nonsense on the academic side.

What seems to be the problem with academics? Both of my kids seem to be receiving a very well rounded education with lots of options both within their majors as well as outside the department.

It doesn’t hurt that that they’re both much smarter than I ever was.

Reactions: drboobay
Okay, having said all that... where is the bowl game going to be?

What seems to be the problem with academics? Both of my kids seem to be receiving a very well rounded education with lots of options both within their majors as well as outside the department.

Come back in five years.

Or did you thing the big fight and write ups were just for fun?

Whether it is athletics or academics the university is a giant ship with a small rudder, hard turns don't immediately show up. Your kids are lucky, they are in just as the ship deviates from it's original course. With a little bit of luck they will be a decade into their chosen careers when the damage is finally evaluated and their degree considered less.

Similar to how incoming freshman will enjoy the next two or three years of being in a top level college conference, before we are back to MAC/MVC/WAC/CUSA days.

Then ignore my posts about it. I also want to win, have put 40 years of my life into the University of Tulsa and have paid my ticket to vent on this board within the bounds set by the moderators. Other have the freedom to ignore me.

Greatest thing in life, freedom of choice.
As a fellow alum, I'm grateful for your 40 years of contribution to the school and program. I feel like we the fans have to stick together as our athletic department spirals dangerously close to sea level. Seeing the bleachers woefully empty hurts worse than any play calling Monty has done in his 7 years of thievery. Sbellini was right in calling him a pirate. Perfect appellation for Monty. Now that I've trashed him, compliment sandwich; his play calling last night was best I've seen from him since Ohio State (discounting the first 25 minutes of the first half).

Reactions: Tulsa76
247 sports says one eligible team will be without a bid and their predictions do not include us……..

I think "the problem" depends on what you mean by "good education". I think if you're looking for a vocational education that will prepare you for your first job out of college, then it's probably fine. But technical skills have limited upside and "expire" early as technology makes skills obsolete, it prepares you for a line job but does not prepare you for more than that. I think we're lined up as "middle manager U". And a vocational focus makes it hard to teach people how to reason and think, skills that prepare you to do literally anything.

My own experience, I graduated from TU with 2 degrees (one that no longer exists) and after a few years ended up at Harvard Law School. I hung out with a lot of people from non-top tier schools and a lot said they were not prepared for Harvard, their schools had not taught them to think and reason. They felt they were at a disadvantage against the students from the Ivies and were struggling to catch up. I, on the other hand, never felt that I was at a disadvantage and never felt that anyone was better prepared than I was. I would have put my TU education up against the people from Harvard, Princeton, Duke, etc. without hesitation. I don't think you'll have many of those kinds of stories going forward.

If the goal is to lift people up from the bottom to the middle, or maybe upper middle, then I think TU will be good at that, which I always thought of as the job of TCC, NSU, etc.. But I think it's not going to prepare them to go above that, and that's my memory of old TU.

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth given what you paid for it....

Reactions: TU4ever2
I think "the problem" depends on what you mean by "good education". I think if you're looking for a vocational education that will prepare you for your first job out of college, then it's probably fine. But technical skills have limited upside and "expire" early as technology makes skills obsolete, it prepares you for a line job but does not prepare you for more than that. I think we're lined up as "middle manager U". And a vocational focus makes it hard to teach people how to reason and think, skills that prepare you to do literally anything.

My own experience, I graduated from TU with 2 degrees (one that no longer exists) and after a few years ended up at Harvard Law School. I hung out with a lot of people from non-top tier schools and a lot said they were not prepared for Harvard, their schools had not taught them to think and reason. They felt they were at a disadvantage against the students from the Ivies and were struggling to catch up. I, on the other hand, never felt that I was at a disadvantage and never felt that anyone was better prepared than I was. I would have put my TU education up against the people from Harvard, Princeton, Duke, etc. without hesitation. I don't think you'll have many of those kinds of stories going forward.

If the goal is to lift people up from the bottom to the middle, or maybe upper middle, then I think TU will be good at that, which I always thought of as the job of TCC, NSU, etc.. But I think it's not going to prepare them to go above that, and that's my memory of old TU.

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth given what you paid for it....
You really do need to take time to read the strategic plan before you post nonsense.

You really do need to take time to read the strategic plan before you post nonsense.
Oh, I have, more than once. As well as everything else on the TU site and on the interwebs that I could find. I'm not generally one to go off half-cocked :)

One thing I trust you appreciate is that the strategic plan is, first, last and everywhere in between, a marketing document. It can't be, or at least shouldn't be, read literally. You should give it the same thoughtfulness that you do an infomercial.

The other thing is that the strategic plan, like all strategic plans, is aspirational - it's what the university hopes to become. It's a goal, and they'll achieve some and they won't achieve others. Some of the aspirations seem realistic and some seem like pure fantasy, or maybe pure marketing. You have to look at what they're doing as well as what they're saying to understand what the product will be.

I have zero doubt that what I said is true. I'm not even sure that the administration would disagree, look at what's NOT in the strategic plan, things like world class education, produces leaders in their fields, etc. - you get "A leader in blending liberal arts, professional studies, and career support to produce the most well-rounded, life- and career-ready graduates in the region." I mean, that's pretty damn telling.

Oh, I have, more than once. As well as everything else on the TU site and on the interwebs that I could find. I'm not generally one to go off half-cocked :)

One thing I trust you appreciate is that the strategic plan is, first, last and everywhere in between, a marketing document. It can't be, or at least shouldn't be, read literally. You should give it the same thoughtfulness that you do an infomercial.

The other thing is that the strategic plan, like all strategic plans, is aspirational - it's what the university hopes to become. It's a goal, and they'll achieve some and they won't achieve others. Some of the aspirations seem realistic and some seem like pure fantasy, or maybe pure marketing. You have to look at what they're doing as well as what they're saying to understand what the product will be.

I have zero doubt that what I said is true. I'm not even sure that the administration would disagree, look at what's NOT in the strategic plan, things like world class education, produces leaders in their fields, etc. - you get "A leader in blending liberal arts, professional studies, and career support to produce the most well-rounded, life- and career-ready graduates in the region." I mean, that's pretty damn telling.
They are trying for more mass appeal and less exclusivity with the hope that it increases enrollment and opens up more government tuition dollars. But as you point out, how does the university stand out with this message especially since we are now the 2nd rated school in the state?

I guess we will see. Personally it is not that compelling to me at first blush but I am not representative of the general customer necessarily. I can say that my 17 year old junior has not yet found much exciting about it. But to be fair we will have a visit in January and perhaps hear more and gage her reaction.

Back to D1 sports though. Perhaps the idea is to let it die for a couple of years and start anew? Kind of like killing off and then replanting the lawn with better seed?

Stretching I know. That's about all I can think of though.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
They are trying for more mass appeal and less exclusivity with the hope that it increases enrollment and opens up more government tuition dollars. But as you point out, how does the university stand out with this message especially since we are now the 2nd rated school in the state?

I guess we will see. Personally it is not that compelling to me at first blush but I am not representative of the general customer necessarily. I can say that my 17 year old junior has not yet found much exciting about it. But to be fair we will have a visit in January and perhaps hear more and gage her reaction.

Back to D1 sports though. Perhaps the idea is to let it die for a couple of years and start anew? Kind of like killing off and then replanting the lawn with better seed?

Stretching I know. That's about all I can think of though.
I think if your life trajectory is heading toward hourly work and you want to bend that trajectory toward a salaried profession, then the new TU is probably a good fit. But if a professional job is a given for you and you're looking to move to the top in your area of choice, then it's hard to imagine it being a competitive option unless it's maybe in the areas of excellence. I would certainly never have considered the new TU. There's massive value in what TU is aiming for, I'm just not sure that job wouldn't be better left for the TCCs and NSUs of the world where it has traditionally been done. The idea is to have TU as a growth and social improvement vehicle in the city of Tulsa, which is an interesting idea, something a little different in envisioning the role of a univeristy and no surprise with Kaiser in charge, but again, I'm not sure TU is the right place for that.

Unless your kid appreciates the "Club Med" part of the strategic plan, I have trouble seeing it being optimal if she's anything like you.

Sports is easy, it's on hold for a couple years while they focus on other things. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

I think if your life trajectory is heading toward hourly work and you want to bend that trajectory toward a salaried profession, then the new TU is probably a good fit. But if a professional job is a given for you and you're looking to move to the top in your area of choice, then it's hard to imagine it being a competitive option unless it's maybe in the areas of excellence. I would certainly never have considered the new TU. There's massive value in what TU is aiming for, I'm just not sure that job wouldn't be better left for the TCCs and NSUs of the world where it has traditionally been done. The idea is to have TU as a growth and social improvement vehicle in the city of Tulsa, which is an interesting idea, something a little different in envisioning the role of a univeristy and no surprise with Kaiser in charge, but again, I'm not sure TU is the right place for that.

Unless your kid appreciates the "Club Med" part of the strategic plan, I have trouble seeing it being optimal if she's anything like you.

Sports is easy, it's on hold for a couple years while they focus on other things. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.
They had a good ChemE program, I got a 100% scholarship, and I got free tickets to watch Nolan's teams, and my two best friends were going. That was enough for me at 17 to pick TU over Rice, Northwestern and (sort of) OU. None of those factors or anything too similar are at play with my daughter. Perhaps if she is interested in Psychology as a major it would be a good fit in that I respect the faculty, and she seems interested in the subject. The small classes and personal attention is good for her too.

Of course my ChemE degree was useful only for how it taught me intellectual discipline and systems thinking and not directly as a career. The vocational thing did not work out but it gave me what I needed for the next phase.

We shall see. And really, I am super interested in how they sell the proposition and her reaction.

I just saw that Gillespie has moved over to TCU as the DC!!!! That makes me mad!!!! I want to know who inside the university needs to be fired. Don’t give me the Monty crap. Whoever is writing these contracts needs to go. If he was only staying to get the HC position if they let Montgomery go, then they should have let Montgomery go and sign Gillespie to the HC position which I did bring up some time ago.

they should not have let Gillespie walk!!! Im fuming right now

Reactions: TulsaAM
I just saw that Gillespie has moved over to TCU as the DC!!!! That makes me mad!!!! I want to know who inside the university needs to be fired. Don’t give me the Monty crap. Whoever is writing these contracts needs to go. If he was only staying to get the HC position if they let Montgomery go, then they should have let Montgomery go and sign Gillespie to the HC position which I did bring up some time ago.

they should not have let Gillespie walk!!! Im fuming right now
You are a little late to the fuming party. This all came down the pike a couple 💏 of days ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT