ADVERTISEMENT

ECU Stats

TU1NNJ

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2004
I have watched ECU on TV quite a bit this year plus have to listen to numerous friends and neighbors here in NC talk about them. Some thoughts: when they beat NC St early in the season their fans thought they would have a strong season; they played SC very close; they were disappointed after losses to UCF, USF and Cincy but are very upbeat about starting to click based on beating UConn decisively.
Overview of their stats:
ECU offense - passing stats - vs South Carolina 400 yards, NC St 297, Va Tech 362, UCF 488, USF 308, Cincy 283 and UConn 294.
ECU has not ran the ball very well usually between 100-150 per game.
ECU defense - They have only had 2 opponents rush for over 200 yards UCF 217 and USF 306. Most of their opponents were held to around 150.
ECU has given up quite a few passing yards in most games.

Expect ECU to come out hard and fast. If we can build a lead and run the ball it will be interesting to see how they respond. Need a big supportive crowd! Go TU!!!

I have watched ECU on TV quite a bit this year plus have to listen to numerous friends and neighbors here in NC talk about them. Some thoughts: when they beat NC St early in the season their fans thought they would have a strong season; they played SC very close; they were disappointed after losses to UCF, USF and Cincy but are very upbeat about starting to click based on beating UConn decisively.
Overview of their stats:
ECU offense - passing stats - vs South Carolina 400 yards, NC St 297, Va Tech 362, UCF 488, USF 308, Cincy 283 and UConn 294.
ECU has not ran the ball very well usually between 100-150 per game.
ECU defense - They have only had 2 opponents rush for over 200 yards UCF 217 and USF 306. Most of their opponents were held to around 150.
ECU has given up quite a few passing yards in most games.

Expect ECU to come out hard and fast. If we can build a lead and run the ball it will be interesting to see how they respond. Need a big supportive crowd! Go TU!!!
Not to dismiss them, but NC State is awful...like lost to Boston College awful. South Carolina is the 2nd worst team in the SEC after Vanderbilt. They got trounced by VaTech and probably had to start throwing early on. I'd be fine if ECU threw for 300 yards against us if they only ran for 50. The way the college game is today, if you keep a team to under 400 total yards, your defense has played well enough to win most days. Not sure what happened in the UCONN game but UCONN's offense is one of the worst in the AAC.

TU just needs to start fast again just like they did at Memphis. We do that and we'll be fine.

Not to dismiss them, but NC State is awful...like lost to Boston College awful.

NC St is up and down - beat Wake Forrest and Notre Dame (yes ND is down and it was in a monsoon but it was a win) and they took Clemson, at Death Valley, to OT (should have won but kicker missed a chip shot FG at the end of regulation). You can't just look at records plus NC St was a rivalry win for ECU. College football is about match ups and my concern is our secondary (banged up) against ECU passing game. We should win but we need to run the ball effectively and limit ECU's passing game.

I'm not looking at just scores...NC State is not very good period. South Carolina is easily the 2nd worst team in the SEC this year. Notre Dame has tons of talent and can't win consistently. Wake Forest...no one should start an argument about the quality of their team with a reference to beating Wake Forest. Northwestern played Ohio State close this weekend...doesn't mean Northwestern is any good. I've seen a few NC State games....they're just not very good. Offense struggles, defense doesn't really stop anyone. That said...I don't think ECU is all that good and the passing yards are a product of not being able to move the ball on the ground effectively. People probably look at Dane's numbers and think he is having an average season and are wondering what's wrong because looking at those numbers out of the context of what is going on in the game is preposterous. If you can run the ball for 300 yards a game, you don't need to throw much. If you can't move the ball on the ground, you have to throw. ECU has to throw because that's all they have. Guys like Brubaker, Smith, Petera Wilson are going to tee off on ECU's QB this weekend. I am a little concerned with the loss of Hill at CB because he was as close to a shut down corner as we have had since Nick Graham was here. TU will be fine though because we have LBs who can cover and safeties who are pretty good in coverage as well. (We do need Brady to come back though..helps with the communication in the back).

We can throw out some more...ECU is worst in the AAC in red zone percentage in terms of scoring when they get to the red zone. They are also worst in the league in turnover margin at -9.

I've heard they don't really have a deep threat, that is all dink and dunk passes, 3 yards here 8 yards there. True?

Their longest pass play of the season was 75 yards...not sure if that was catch and run or a bomb downfield. They've got some WRs putting up numbers. But it also seems their OL is suspect. They've given up more sacks than we have (granted most of ours came in the first 3-4 games) and are worst in generating pressure on the QB.

Yes they lead the conference in passing yards per game...they are also averaging 10 passing attempts more per game than anyone else in the conference. They throw the ball almost 48 times a game but they are averaging the same 7.3 yards per attempt that we are. By contrast, Memphis has an 8.4 yards per attempt. (Navy leads the AAC at 11.3 but have only thrown 91 passes in 7 games played).

That works for me. Doesnt sound like Hill being out is going to as much as a challenge it might have been. Fingers crossed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT