ADVERTISEMENT

Does ucf loss to an unranked Memphis

Tarnish our win to the 11th ranked ucf we needed them to win out
No , not if we win out, Tulsa , SMU, Memphis , UCF, and Cincinnati are all about on the same level so whoever comes out on top could very well go to a New Years Bowl

There is one problem with that. BYU! They have a pretty easy road
BYU would have to be ranked high enough to get an at large in order to go to a NY6 bowl. They can’t get the G5 spot which goes to the highest ranked conference champion. A sunbelt team would be a bigger threat than BYU.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Tarnish our win to the 11th ranked ucf we needed them to win out
No. What it did was highlight how good our defense actually is holding UCF to about 200 yds below their normal offensive output and about 17+ pts under their normal scoring output. They're averaging 636 yds per game and 43 ppg. We held them to 450ish and 26. Imagine if we hadn't gifted them 9 points?

Our D is really good. Accept that...I know it's not what we're used to in these parts but it's actually true.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
UCF isn't number 11 and isn't even likely top 25 this year.

Our D is very good. But imagine if they hadn't had 8 or 9 false starts, and despite having 200 less yards and monster penalties they were throwing in the endzone at the end of the game.

Looking at their opponents GT is bad on defense, Memphis is bad on defense, and ECU is bad on defense. That might have more to do with their high offensive stats and wins than them being a really good team.

UCF isn't number 11 and isn't even likely top 25 this year.

Our D is very good. But imagine if they hadn't had 8 or 9 false starts, and despite having 200 less yards and monster penalties they were throwing in the endzone at the end of the game.

Looking at their opponents GT is bad on defense, Memphis is bad on defense, and ECU is bad on defense. That might have more to do with their high offensive stats and wins than them being a really good team.

They were throwing in the endzone in desperation from a long ways away, in the desperate hope that they might get a two point conversion, and go to OT. Don't act as if we almost lost. And our offense gave them the game for the first 1/2. They wouldn't have scored all those points if our offense hadn't set them up the 1st half. If they had performed like the 2 half, game over. You can minimize the ranking of UCF, but stop minimizing our win. to make you point stronger.

Last edited:
They were throwing in the endzone in desperation from a long ways away, in the desperate hope that they might get a two point conversion, and go to OT. Don't act as if we almost lost. And our offense gave them the game for the first 1/2. They wouldn't have scored all those points if our offense hadn't set them up the 1st half. If they had performed like the 2 half, game over. You can minimize the ranking of UCF, but stop minimizing our win. to make you point stronger.

You know I watched the game right?

They fair caught the ball and got it at 25 yard line with 1:30 left, threw two incomplete passes, followed by two completions to their 47 yardline.

************They got a false start penalty.

Followed by two completions to put them on the 23, with :23 seconds left on the clock.

***********They got a 10 yard holding penalty.

They throw into the endzone from the 33 twice for incompletions.

Those aren't hail mary's, nor were they stopped by our vaunted defense making a great play.

That's them shooting themselves in the foot not once but twice in the final drive. In a game we won because they shot themselves in the foot more than we did.

I don't have to make stuff up to prove my point. I have every year but 2015 (and it has plenty of similar examples too) I can use to point out Monty's complete failure, I don't even have to use this year.

Now how about you admit you were wrong, take off your blue and gold glasses and look at what is really happening to the program?

The only difference between our two UCF wins and all of our losses under Monty is the other team messing it up more than Monty did. Last year it was Boomer catching them and giving Monty his best win ever. This year it was the O-line for UCF not getting set. Nothing else is different, go look at box scores for games the last three years.

If an OL held, it's because one of our defensive players was making a play and put the OL in a bad position. There are relatively few holds called that are called so far away from the play (there are some but usually they are minimal). While they had a chance to tie late, I never thought the outcome was in doubt once we took the lead in that game just because of the way we were playing defensively and our offense wasn't completely inept in the 2nd half.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
You know I watched the game right?

They fair caught the ball and got it at 25 yard line with 1:30 left, threw two incomplete passes, followed by two completions to their 47 yardline.

************They got a false start penalty.

Followed by two completions to put them on the 23, with :23 seconds left on the clock.

***********They got a 10 yard holding penalty.

They throw into the endzone from the 33 twice for incompletions.

Those aren't hail mary's, nor were they stopped by our vaunted defense making a great play.

That's them shooting themselves in the foot not once but twice in the final drive. In a game we won because they shot themselves in the foot more than we did.

I don't have to make stuff up to prove my point. I have every year but 2015 (and it has plenty of similar examples too) I can use to point out Monty's complete failure, I don't even have to use this year.

Now how about you admit you were wrong, take off your blue and gold glasses and look at what is really happening to the program?

The only difference between our two UCF wins and all of our losses under Monty is the other team messing it up more than Monty did. Last year it was Boomer catching them and giving Monty his best win ever. This year it was the O-line for UCF not getting set. Nothing else is different, go look at box scores for games the last three years.
How bout I'm not wrong. They would have had to have completed a 33 yd td on the final play, AND A TWO POINT CONVERSION just to take it to OT, and then outscore us in OT. The chances of that happening the way we were playing was very slim. You act as if we almost lost, which is BS. You are so off base, take your Monty hate elsewhere. Regardless of Monty, we played a successful second half, in order to overcome all of our miscues in the first half, and beat them comfortably. I as well as TUBla, and I'm sure several others, never felt threatened after we took the lead. Not once, even on that final play, did I ever get nervous.

It would have encompassed a monumental collapse on many, many plays by our offense and defense for us to have lost. You can't tell me that with our stellar defensive play, that they would've not only fallen apart on a couple of plays(4), and then fallen apart again, and again on the td play, on the two point conversion, and in OT. The way we were playing defense, one of those 6+ plays we would have held. In fact, I was shocked they even got to the 33 with the way our defense was playing. Our defense was never nervous, you could tell by the body language. They were assured and confident that the game was going to end in a win by us.

If we only led by 7, then your claims would have had some legitimacy.

Last edited:
How bout I'm not wrong. They would have had to have completed a 33 yd td on the final play, AND A TWO POINT CONVERSION just to take it to OT, and then outscore us in OT. The chances of that happening the way we were playing was very slim. You act as if we almost lost, which is BS. You are so off base. Take your Monty hate elsewhere. Regardless of Monty, we played a successful second half, in order to overcome all of our miscues in the first half, and beat them comfortably. I as well as TUBla, and I'm sure several others, never felt threatened after we took the lead. Not once, even on that final play, did I ever get nervous.

It would have encompassed a monumental collapse on many, many plays by our offense and defense for us to have lost. You can't tell me that with our stellar defensive play, that they would've not only fallen apart on a couple of plays(4), and then fallen apart again, and again on the td play, on the two point conversion, and in OT. The way we were playing defense, one of those 6+ plays we would have held. In fact, I was shocked they even got to the 33 with the way our defense was playing. Our defense was never nervous, you could tell by the body language. They were assured and confident that the game was going to end in a win by us.

You claimed they were throwing to the endzone needing some kind of miracle play:

"They were throwing in the endzone in desperation from a long ways away, in the desperate hope that they might get a two point conversion"

They average like 6 plays a game longer than 20 yards. Had two in the final drive that went for that. They threw into the endzone from the 23, then the 33 twice. These are not long distances in modern football and definitely not for UCF.

Yes, so desperate their reciever had his hands on the ball at the end of the game in the endzone, clearly desperate 🤦‍♂️

They marched down the field at the end of the game, got two penalties that vastly helped us, and still were going for a tie 🤷‍♂️

Our coaches record in games decided by one score is like 7-24 with some very bad losses on coaching decisions.

Overcome our mistakes? They had like 8 false starts over 120 yards (including twice in the final drive) in penalties and 3 turnovers, which are worse than Tulsa's "mistakes" that we literally commit every damn game. Those aren't mistakes, that's how we play and every year of Monty this has been true. 8-10 penalties and a couple turnovers a game is the Tulsa stat line.

As far as us falling apart? Memphis, SMU, Houston, Tulane, USF, OSU, and Navy have all been losing to us in the fourth quarter recently and come back to beat us. 2018 was pretty much nothing but games of us losing in the fourth quarter. The SMU game last year is the norm not the exception under the Monty staff.

The final drive was them doing what they wanted and dropping the ball in the endzone after getting the ball with 1:30 left. I have no idea how anyone looking at the stats and watching that game thinks our defense "held" them on that final drive.

But your right no way we could have ended up in OT and loss, we are clearly a top 25 team and UCF is a national contender. Everything is fine in Tulsa's program. Averaging a 100 yards in penalties a game is no big deal even if it is three years in a row. Averaging two turnovers a game is a sign of a good team, and losing three times more of the one score games than we win means our coach is a genius.

Your fantasy description of this as a comfortable win says it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: TulsaFan2000
If an OL held, it's because one of our defensive players was making a play and put the OL in a bad position. There are relatively few holds called that are called so far away from the play (there are some but usually they are minimal). While they had a chance to tie late, I never thought the outcome was in doubt once we took the lead in that game just because of the way we were playing defensively and our offense wasn't completely inept in the 2nd half.

It was on their freshman/sophmore center and as we both know they could throw a flag for holding on every offensive play and on the center in particular. I don't think it was blatant honestly or had much effect on the play. Rather it was just another offensive penalty against them, one of the many that held their offensive production down.

Our offense was two long passes and one longish TK run in the second half and included us scoring on a one play drive after a turnover at there 33.

See my reply to gmoney for the actual breakdown of what happened.

Our second touchdown drive was solid, but otherwise the offense seemed very inept with two good plays.

We are talking about their false starts? Lol some of this is absolutely comical. It’s part of the game. Our defense had been pummeling them so much it spooked them. It’s called good defense. Remember a stupid holding penalty is what cost us the Oklahoma state game.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
How bout I'm not wrong. They would have had to have completed a 33 yd td on the final play, AND A TWO POINT CONVERSION just to take it to OT, and then outscore us in OT. The chances of that happening the way we were playing was very slim. You act as if we almost lost, which is BS. You are so off base, take your Monty hate elsewhere. Regardless of Monty, we played a successful second half, in order to overcome all of our miscues in the first half, and beat them comfortably. I as well as TUBla, and I'm sure several others, never felt threatened after we took the lead. Not once, even on that final play, did I ever get nervous.

If we only led by 7, then your claims would have had some legitimacy.
Kinda surprised to read you weren’t nervous. I thought that final drive was the most suspenseful piece of football TU has played since John Flanders made himself a legend.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Kinda surprised to read you weren’t nervous. I thought that final drive was the most suspenseful piece of football TU has played since John Flanders made himself a legend.
Nope, I wasn't nervous for a minute. We weren't playing Montyball. Was a different team 2nd half. I knew the defense would hold in time. The only time I was nervous if I remember correctly was a moment one of those catches up field could have broke for a td. The one or two seconds before we made the tackle that we should have made, I was a tad nervous. Other than that, I thought we kept it all in front of us.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT