ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Tackle

Rjjackson4

I.T.S. Junior
Jun 19, 2014
We are going to lose some experience on the DL this year. We have some underclassmen who showed some potential this year. The redshirt DL who will be playing next year bring some size but no experience. We need a run stuffer/pass rusher on the middle. I'm not sure if we need one or two DTs this year. Do we have a true Nose Tackle on the team? Should we be recruiting a true Nose Tackle? Do we have some DTs on the radar? Have you guys heard of some good junior DTs?

I consider Brubaker a true nose tackle, but we don't play a 3-4 where you need a true NT except in some certain down and distance situations. In that situation Shindelar comes in and has shown he can get off blocks and chase down a QB or RB...he also has shown he can drop into coverage if we run a zone blitz from the 3-4 look.

If I recall, Brubaker RS'd last year with the eye injury so he was just a sophomore this year. We probably do need a juco DT like a Tyrunn Walker to come in and help replace the experience Luetjen and Alexander gave us on the DL, but even if we don't, I think we'll be fine barring an injury disaster

I consider Brubaker a true nose tackle, but we don't play a 3-4 where you need a true NT except in some certain down and distance situations. In that situation Shindelar comes in and has shown he can get off blocks and chase down a QB or RB...he also has shown he can drop into coverage if we run a zone blitz from the 3-4 look.

If I recall, Brubaker RS'd last year with the eye injury so he was just a sophomore this year. We probably do need a juco DT like a Tyrunn Walker to come in and help replace the experience Luetjen and Alexander gave us on the DL, but even if we don't, I think we'll be fine barring an injury disaster
The 4-3 is our base defense. Teams been passing or running play action on 1st and 2nd down keeping them in 3rd and manageable downs. Brubaker plays the strongside DT but the weakside is wear we struggle in the 40 front. Our starting front will be good with Shindelar and Brubaker starting at DT. We need another DT who can apply pressure on the QB and stop the run.

The 4-3 is our base defense. Teams been passing or running play action on 1st and 2nd down keeping them in 3rd and manageable downs. Brubaker plays the strongside DT but the weakside is wear we struggle in the 40 front. Our starting front will be good with Shindelar and Brubaker starting at DT. We need another DT who can apply pressure on the QB and stop the run.
DT has always been historically a position we have struggled to maintain quality depth. We do have some good young talent as some have illuded but we need JUCO help and leadership to be able to complete with the upper echelon of the AAC. Recruiting was Youngs Achilles Heel at OSU hence why he got let go. Fresh start with us. Let's see how he fares this year.

DT has always been historically a position we have struggled to maintain quality depth. We do have some good young talent as some have illuded but we need JUCO help and leadership to be able to complete with the upper echelon of the AAC. Recruiting was Youngs Achilles Heel at OSU hence why he got let go. Fresh start with us. Let's see how he fares this year.
I agree we going to lack leadership on the DL with our two seniors graduating. I hope we bring in a couple of JUCO DTs to improve our depth and leadership on the DL.

Yes, TU is after several defensive linemen and hoping to add a couple more to the class. We have several on our 2016 Hot List, and I'll have some new notes on them soon.
That's great. We need to add DTs to the list of priorities on for this year and next year recruits. I hope JUCO are among the list of players we are recruiting next year.

Everyone's answer to depth questions is to go get some juco guys which seems easy but unless they were qualified out of hs they are just so hard to get into TU, Cole and Henson were funny qualified so those would have worked but monty&co can't just go to said juco and get whoever they want

Everyone's answer to depth questions is to go get some juco guys which seems easy but unless they were qualified out of hs they are just so hard to get into TU, Cole and Henson were funny qualified so those would have worked but monty&co can't just go to said juco and get whoever they want

Per Chris just now, Henson was short on credits to get into Tulsa. Damn academics. Lol

Their are some players from snow jr college who can play defensive line. There are more players out there who can play DT but they are out of Tulsa recruiting area.

Here are some JUCO DT that should be on TU watch list. They are on the west coast.
Robert Coleman 6'3 295 Mesa cc AZ
Isaiah Stroder 6'4 285 Pima cc AZ
Anthony Price 6'4 315 AZ western cc
John Penisini 6'2 285 snow UT
Wesley Kauvaka 6'4 300 snow UT
Simote Iloa 6'3 300 snow UT
Siale Mausia 6'3 270 snow UT

I know this is outside our recruiting base but we can step outside our base to get one or two players.

Kcarzoli is right. Unless these kids were qualifiers out of hs we are almost always unable to get these kids in. Cole was one of the perfect examples of the select few that we have a shot at. Didn't have offers he wanted out of HS. Was a qualifier, chose JUCO to help get the looks he wanted, and got lots of mid-major offers. Those are the types of kids we can get.

Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of difference makers who go to JUCO by choice. It's usually because they had to bridge the gap in academics. Those kids can't get in here 99 times out of 100. So that list of DT's is more than likely worthless.

If I were Monty, part of my negotiations with any extension would be getting admissions exceptions on 3-4 kids per year that they can sign. I know that disgusts some on here who dont want us to compromise our academic standards, but it's difficult at a school like Tulsa, where academic attrition sucks the depth from your roster.

I don't know what the overall numbers for athletes are, but when our university as a whole has a 52% 4 year graduation rate, which is one of the worst in the top 100 universities, you are going to have a lot of academic casualties on your teams. You will undoubtedly need help replenishing those numbers. Particularly with the over signing being done away with and TU not offering any cupcake majors where you can put at risk kids and keep them eligible.

It would be interesting to know our attrition rate compared to other schools. I'm not sure if it's worse but it seems like we've lost some of our most promising young players to academics over the years.

Last edited:
I'd rather burn a scholly on an unknown that will develop into something special, rather than double down on a JUCO guy that will play maybe one year before flunking out. There are plenty of graduating seniors from P5 schools with a year left to burn who would like a jump start on an MBA. Id say go after those, before recruiting some of those guys from the mountains or somebody we don't even know can read (and yes we've had a few of those I've been personally acquainted with). We had a pretty good track record with attracting some of the under the radar Mormon guys over the years while we had Coach Hudspeth (RIP). Sadly, I think those days are over.

The bottom line: There is no easy fix and you have to go to work to get this job done. It will take time, money, and sweat. From all signs, it looks like this staff is willing to do that.

Don't fool yourself, there are all kinds of ways to get JUCO kids in TU. One being vetting diagnosed with a learning disorder. Graham was a master of using the loopholes to get quality JUCO guys in. It's not just going to fall in your lap but as my good friend 'Fmr'Cane16 illuded to, this too can be negotiated.

I personally would spend at least 3 scholarships a year in the first three yrs if I were Monty on a so called average JUCO DL that had a high motor. JUCO's go through hell trying to make it and are given nothing. They typically bring great work ethic and leadership to the program. They are great teachers to the young guys and a bridge until you can build greater depth

Last edited:
Since when did we stop accepting 99% of all applicants?

The "academic barrier" excuse is so tired. I've never seen a single piece of documentation that Tulsa doesn't accept athletes with the bare minimum qualifications.

As a private university, Tulsa can do damn near anything they want. I say bring on the Juco talent!

RealTU, the biggest deterrent to JUCO's trying to get into TU is that TU's transfer credit acceptance is very stringent. Many times only a year's worth of credit out of the 2 years worth of classes will transfer over meaning the student will have to be there at least an extra year in order to graduate.

It is tired. But doesn't make it any less relevant. BLA is correct. It's up to each college within the university to determine which credits transfer in. The ones they put a big ass mark through on a trancscript that you take to them and right "overage" on are the ones they claim are duplicate and or not on par with TUs curriculum.

And it's not just a problem of staying in school longer. These kids are ncaa ineligible if we don't accept those credits. Progress towards a degree requires these second year JUCO kids with an associates to have 48 hrs upon transfer. If they don't, you're done before they even get on campus. Thus, "they aren't an academic fit."

And Typ, maybe my wording was misleading. It's not that we won't accept kids, they can get into school here, but they won't be eligible to play. Which is the most frustrating part.

And we CAN do whatever the hell we want, which is why Coach should play hardball and demand several yearly exceptions if they want to extend his contract.

I've been on phone calls in the Offensive staff room with kids in December who will graduate in May with their associates taking 12 hours the spring semester. But we have to tell them, to come here we need you to take 24 hrs this term, and then 6 in the summer, and they have to be these exact classes. Oh and you better not make less than a C on any classes or you will have to pick another one up because they won't be accepted. It's garbage. Some miraculously do it. Most go to another school.

My last year I picked up a kid flying in from a JUCO in California that had already graduated. Their term had ended later than ours and TCC had already started. I picked him up and took him directly to TCC to go to class. He needed 6 more after taking 27 in the spring. It's ridiculous man.

The VP of Admissions at TU was a TU football legend. I'm pretty sure he has a handle on the appropriate policy when it comes to athlete admissions at TU. And no matter who signs off, even the President himself in some cases, the lower the test scores, the bigger the impact on TU's overall test score average. Because of our small size, it doesnt take very many players before it begins to negatively impact our rankings.

If we do it for one coach, then we do it for them all. Very quickly, at a small school like to TU, you begin to alter the makeup and competency of the classroom. That will bring complaints quickly from the segment of the faculty that are underpaid at TU, but accept it because they like the small class size and the competency of the students.

There are a lot of moving parts here that having nothing to do with TU football or the magic wave of the hand. One of those moving parts is history. There are plenty of people in positions of influence, if not decision making, that remember when we had to shuttle athletes down to the Sylvan learning center (both black and white) for remedial reading (and in some cases basic literacy). A few of those guys struggled through and graduated. One of them is a public school teacher in Texas I am told. The vast majority however not only failed to stay eligible, their eventual absence hurt the team more than it helped because it left holes in the depth chart. The collapse of the football team in the early 90s had less to do with Rader's recruiting as it did losses on the field because there was a lack of depth. Going 4-7 and 3-8 hurts on campus recruiting. Being an independent hurts too. But one of the biggest factors nobody talks about is the number of players being brought in as part of the 85 to 90 classes that belonged at the Auburns of the world and instead came to TU because the program was on the up swing. Most had to leave, wanted to leave, or put themselves in a position where TU didnt want them to stay. Does Bob Donaldson deserve the credit for nearly killing TU football? Yes. But Morton, Henshaw, and yes even David Rader do too.

You can believe that the University is committed to athletics as a marketing vehicle and is making every effort to get the best product on the football field so long as the current President is in service. That includes finding a way to get certain players eligible. There is too much most invested and too much evidence to support this to believe anything else. If you don't believe me, ask Shawn Jackson or the countless others who have been asked to focus on academics and get it right before starting to practice.

Last edited:
The VP of Admissions at TU was a TU football legend. I'm pretty sure he has a handle on the appropriate policy when it comes to athlete admissions at TU. And no matter who signs off, even the President himself in some cases, the lower the test scores, the bigger the impact on TU's overall test score average. Because of our small size, it doesnt take very many players before it begins to negatively impact our rankings.

If we do it for one coach, then we do it for them all. Very quickly, at a small school like to TU, you begin to alter the makeup and competency of the classroom. That will bring complaints quickly from the segment of the faculty that are underpaid at TU, but accept it because they like the small class size and the competency of the students.

There are a lot of moving parts here that having nothing to do with TU football or the magic wave of the hand. One of those moving parts is history. There are plenty of people in positions of influence, if not decision making, that remember when we had to shuttle athletes down to the Sylvan learning center (both black and white) for remedial reading (and in some cases basic literacy). A few of those guys struggled through and graduated. One of them is a public school teacher in Texas I am told. The vast majority however not only failed to stay eligible, their eventual absence hurt the team more than it helped because it left holes in the depth chart. The collapse of the football team in the early 90s had less to do with Rader's recruiting as it did losses on the field because there was a lack of depth. Going 4-7 and 3-8 hurts on campus recruiting. Being an independent hurts too. But one of the biggest factors nobody talks about is the number of players being brought in as part of the 85 to 90 classes that belonged at the Auburns of the world and instead came to TU because the program was on the up swing. Most had to leave, wanted to leave, or put themselves in a position where TU didnt want them to stay. Does Bob Donaldson deserve the credit for nearly killing TU football? Yes. But Morton, Henshaw, and yes even David Rader do too.

You can believe that the University is committed to athletics as a marketing vehicle and is making every effort to get the best product on the football field so long as the current President is in service. That includes finding a way to get certain players eligible. There is too much most invested and too much evidence to support this to believe anything else. If you don't believe me, ask Shawn Jackson or the countless others who have been asked to focus on academics and get it right before starting to practice.
Thanks for the history lesson. I lived it just like you. No one is suggesting a mass change in strategy like days of yesteryear. Two or three JUCO kids will not hurt the academic rankings and certainly won't leave huge holes on the depth chart. What it will do is buy time to develop the young guys.

This ruling has nothing to do with academic standards. It has to do with TU's stubbornness to make any exceptions to their version of what they consider a liberal arts degree. Their version is so damned specific, and so damned regimented, that it is amusing to some educated people on the outside looking in, if they have any reason to look at our core curriculum with a critical eye. I love TU to death, and find their regimented definition of a core curriculum mildly amusing, and find it just a part of who they are as an institution. I love them as an institution, warts and all. But as I said earlier, most true liberal arts institutions, that are least equal and often of higher academic standing than TU, are not quite so regimented. If the university is going keep it's semi random core curriculum as it is presently defined, and continue it's attempt to have a successful athletic department,that profits the school's visibility, and improves it's pool of student applications, then it definitely does need to make a minimum compromise of 2 or 3 exceptions per year for classes accepted by JUCO transfers in football, and 1 or 2 in basketball. This will not cause any academic inferiority as an institution, the students grades and performance will still have to be high while they are here, or they will not be able to keep their NCAA qualification. I am not even saying the exceptions have to be given without any guidelines, just that those guidelines need to be a little more loosely interpreted than those that are presently installed. And if you are wondering why I chose the random color scheme to highlight certain words above, this was meant to illustrate the randomness with which many educated people, who hold a positive view of a liberal arts education, view our Letter specific definition of a Liberal arts education. And the student athlete exceptions will come out of TU with a liberal arts education, just not quite so liberal as most TU students and student/athletes.

And towards what Huffy said above, it is not the grades and scores at JUCO that are an issue, it is the classes that are allowed as transfer eligible.

Last edited:
Reactions: RealTUTypical
One more thought, in order for TU to feel more comfortable with the exceptions they allow, they can always make the students take 6-9 additional hours of courses to graduate, That way they could make up for the most glaring areas of class omissions used to transfer. Compromise does not have to mean a complete sacrifice of a liberal arts education.

I don't want to get into the issue of ACT sum scores and weighed eligibility standards. But if you are talking about admitting academically challenged students, you are talking about guys with sum scores in the 80 range. That's an average of 20. The average at TU for freshman is 30. When you are talking about letting in 5 to 7 of these guys (and you'll have optical problems if it is just guys, not to mention the booster who wants a waiver for their next door neighbors kid who wants to be a scientist but mommy doesnt want him in Norman. Which is OK ,right, as long as I am giving a big check and we are letting that RB from McClain in, right?) it does bring down the class score in no time. You can disagree. But its reality.

And towards what Huffy said above, it is not the grades and scores at JUCO that are an issue, it is the classes that are allowed as transfer eligible.
The presence or absence of transferable credits is directly related to academic performance at TU and whether they can stay eligible when they get here.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we are not discussing act scores and grades in High School and at the Juco. We are discussing classes allowed for transfer from a Juco. This will not have any great effect on TU as an institute of higher learning. I am not advocating entry of students like Earnest Norman. If you look at Chris, Fmr Cane, and TUBla, statements above, they are all related to classes eligible for transfer. The communication problem here is that we are talking bout apples and oranges.

Thanks for the history lesson. I lived it just like you. No one is suggesting a mass change in strategy like days of yesteryear. Two or three JUCO kids will not hurt the academic rankings and certainly won't leave huge holes on the depth chart. What it will do is buy time to develop the young guys.
Which is what every other program out there is trying to do too, that has injury, academics, or depth problems. You can buy time with some of the skill positions because they rotate. Even maybe on the D line. But every else it just displaces a starter and makes it difficult to attract players who want to play right away. Id rather have Trent Dupy for 36 starts and scheme around the problems early, then having a player like him on the bench or not on the team because we have a margin JUCO guy penciled in for two years and Johnny Football and his dad on their official see it. Just a difference in philosophy. Neither of us is right or wrong.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we are not discussing act scores and grades in High School and at the Juco. We are discussing classes allowed for transfer from a Juco. This will not have any great effect on TU as an institute of higher learning. I am not advocating entry of students like Earnest Norman. If you look at Chris, Fmr Cane, and TUBla, statements above, they are all related to classes eligible for transfer. The communication problem here is that we are talking bout apples and oranges.
And I said it before and I'll say it again, the people in charge of making these calls have plenty of experience tracking who stays eligible and who doesnt. If they can't hack the classes at JUCO or are not attracted to the work necessary to complete them, its a consistent indicator of how they do once they are let in. If you waive those requirements, a large portion of them eventually become ineligible, at least historically. What you end up doing is gambling with the stability of the team or specific units two or three years from now in exchange for success next year that is by no means assured. We had the best JUCO QB in the nation on the team. He didnt play. You assume we are going to get three or four instant starters. That can't be assumed. Not to mention alienating segments of the University for a modest gain at best. I just don't think it is worth it for the quality of JUCO talent we can bring in, especially when you add in the hit you take in average ACT score. If you let a guy in with an 80, it isn't like TU is attracting someone with a perfect score to balance him out. I

Last edited:
Tulsa have brought in JUCO recruits before. We only need to find one DT. If we continue to have a strict academic requirement then TU must broaden their recruiting area.

Last edited:
You(Huffy) were only referencing scores and grades above. We posted over each other, or I wouldn't have posted that exact post. My apologies. This going to be a bit long in nature, my apologies for that as well.

If we are both talking about classes allowed to transfer now, I will wholeheartedly agree with you, that some classes allowed for transfer, do have to do with an athlete's ability to handle the load at TU, but not all that are not allowed for transfer, are of that nature. I am going to make some oversimplified and obvious extreme examples to simply my point: You, I, and everyone else who has a respectable opinion on the matter, probably know that classes like Gym 101 and Nutrition 101 at a Juco are fluff classes, and should not be accepted as transfer classes. But I do not believe that is the issue at hand. Due to my own experiences, and also due to things said by TUBla and FmrCane, my bet is this discussion is about something totally different.

I myself, after having a great hardship on my life in general, and more on point, on my academic life, tried to make lemonade out of lemons. I had a stroke due to a closed head injury, when I was towards the end of my education. This handicapped my abilities dramatically and changed my mind about what I wanted to do with my life, due to the winds of time and circumstance. I was working on an art major, because I wanted to be a photographer. After the changes in my life, I decided that I wanted to go to a different type of school after I finished up at my degree at TU. I decided to alter my degree at TU due to these decisions.(Liberal Arts degree in Economics w/ two minors in English Lit & Accounting) Later on, after having been to that school, which was a Graphic Arts school, I could got a much more specialized degree, appropriate to what I wanted to do with my professional career. But a long time afterwords I decided to go back and work on a post graduate degree at TU.

In finishing my Bachelors, and also later in continuing with a masters, there were a number of appeals I felt would suit my needs for convenience sake, but also for my professional needs, and the expediency with which I could get this done. I made several of these appeals for exceptions to the rule. Some of them they accepted, and some they did not. Of those they did not accept, some I saw the reason behind it, and agreed in principle to their decision. But some I did not. Some of their denials of my appeals did not have any rational justification. And I asked for that rational justification, and they could not give it. Based on these experiences, and also based on Bla, Chris & FmrCane's statement. I don't believe it is all stuff like we can't accept Gym 101. I believe it is more along the lines of we cannot accept Accounting I and Accounting II for someone not going into the Business School, or we can't allow Applied Mathematics and Statistics because they are too similar in nature.

And these are both valuable rules for TU to hold for their students who are wanting to transfer to TU. But they are not rules that would affect the quality of the university if exceptions were made for 5 or 7 student/athletes transferring from Juco every year. And maybe my examples of the do's and don'ts of exceptions are to simplified, and it would get a little grayer if we looked at the true examples at TU. But I am sure that gray area would still have some leeway for compromises that would not affect the quality of the degree dramatically, or cause as serious of an affect to the teams we put on the field or in the arena, as it does now.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of administration excuses for mediocrity in recruiting.

The transferred credits BS has been around forever. It has NOTHING to do with academics but everything to do with TU's short sightedness. They're jumping over $100 to pick up $1 with the mindset they'll bring in more revenue via 60+ credit hours being "retaken" and paid.

A consistent sellout crowd at Skelly or DWRC makes 60+ credit hours look like chump change in a hurry for entire teams of nothing but Juco recruits.

The vision has always been lacking and as long as alums and fans allow it to continue, it will absolutely do just that.

The fact of the matter is you CAN have your cake and eat it too. The difference in Tulsa and all the schools ahead of us both academically and athletically is the ability to keep up with and make the necessary changes to be successful.

I've been on phone calls in the Offensive staff room with kids in December who will graduate in May with their associates taking 12 hours the spring semester. But we have to tell them, to come here we need you to take 24 hrs this term, and then 6 in the summer, and they have to be these exact classes. Oh and you better not make less than a C on any classes or you will have to pick another one up because they won't be accepted. It's garbage. Some miraculously do it. Most go to another school.

My last year I picked up a kid flying in from a JUCO in California that had already graduated. Their term had ended later than ours and TCC had already started. I picked him up and took him directly to TCC to go to class. He needed 6 more after taking 27 in the spring. It's ridiculous man.

I can't imagine why anyone would be suspicious of someone who took 27 hours in one semester.

It is tired. But doesn't make it any less relevant. BLA is correct. It's up to each college within the university to determine which credits transfer in. The ones they put a big ass mark through on a trancscript that you take to them and right "overage" on are the ones they claim are duplicate and or not on par with TUs curriculum.

And it's not just a problem of staying in school longer. These kids are ncaa ineligible if we don't accept those credits. Progress towards a degree requires these second year JUCO kids with an associates to have 48 hrs upon transfer. If they don't, you're done before they even get on campus. Thus, "they aren't an academic fit."
Didn't realize that TU not accepting credits ended up with them not being NCAA eligible even though they might be eligible going to another school. Thanks for that clarification.

Didn't realize that TU not accepting credits ended up with them not being NCAA eligible even though they might be eligible going to another school. Thanks for that clarification.
TU makes all these excuses but in the end, does what the money dictates them to do. When we have a coach that wins, which brings the school free marketing and more fans in the seats, the coaches tend to get what they want and that is what 'Fmr'Cane16 was saying.

Reactions: RealTUTypical
It also wasn't uncommon to see guys come in that tried to get a head start on college classes before they reported as freshman through concurrent enrollment opportunities while still in high school. They end up at TU and realize that those courses won't count towards the degree and instead they get moved as gen ed credits that wont go towards their GPA. So whenever guys were taking stuff like indoor air quality to try and pad the GPA with an easier gen ed course those guys that tried to come in ahead of schedule never got the opportunity

TU moved within the last 10 years or so that all courses required to fulfill requirements within your given major, had to be taken at TU. For instance, biology majors couldn't take a biochem course somewhere else and have it count. This helps TU protect the integrity of the degrees they are conferring AND also means they get additional students in summer school to take a course or two. There is some merit to both reasons.

Early enrollee a (Jan. newcomers, essentially get 5 terms to finish 32 hours to get to that Soph. standing (Spring, summer 1, Summer 2, Fall, Spring) so that may help get some of them ahead in that progress towards degree for the NCAA's purposes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT