ADVERTISEMENT

DeAngelo Brewer

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Named 1st team All AAC today. Bowling was on the 2nd team...not sure WTH league coaches were watching this season, but Bowling was absolutely dominant. Remember seeing him 10-15 yards downfield on some runs where he drove the DL that far down field. Miller and Jeremy Smith were also 2nd team. Plagg and Whitfield were honorable mention. If Whitfield plays the entire season at safety he is 1st team, IMO.

Reactions: TU 1978
With a 2-10 record, I'm just glad we got anybody on the all conference teams.

Brewer had 1500 yards this season where he missed a full game and played the last 6 on a bum ankle because we literally had no one else. Add that to the fact that people put 8 in the box against us because our QBs would have trouble completing passes against a HS defense, those 1500 yards could be the single best rushing year for a RB in the history of football (and our OL is really freaking good) when you consider all things.

. Bowling was on the 2nd team...not sure WTH league coaches were watching this season, but Bowling was absolutely dominant.

Both of the Guards that made the 1st team were seniors. I do not know enough to intelligently compare the 1st Team guys to Bowling (who is awesome), but when in doubt... they will almost always go with a senior.

Both of the Guards that made the 1st team were seniors. I do not know enough to intelligently compare the 1st Team guys to Bowling (who is awesome), but when in doubt... they will almost always go with a senior.
I only know what I saw when watching games. IMO, Bowling has a chance at the next level. Most of Brewer's longer runs were over his side and Bowling tended to knock his guy into the next area code on blocks.

Reactions: ShaneB72
If anyone deserves 1st team recognition, it's Brewer. The guy is an absolute warrior!!

Brewer had 1500 yards this season where he missed a full game and played the last 6 on a bum ankle because we literally had no one else. Add that to the fact that people put 8 in the box against us because our QBs would have trouble completing passes against a HS defense, those 1500 yards could be the single best rushing year for a RB in the history of football (and our OL is really freaking good) when you consider all things.
he also shared carries half the season.

he also shared carries half the season.
Sharing carries makes both running backs better and more productive. Look at last season, as soon as one back got tired on a drive, the other one came in fresh and ate the tired defense’s lunch. If Corey Taylor was healthy, we win the UConn game and SMU game. Can’t wait for Shamari & Corey to kill it next year. Two more Tulsa guys ready to roll!

Sharing carries makes both running backs better and more productive. Look at last season, as soon as one back got tired on a drive, the other one came in fresh and ate the tired defense’s lunch. If Corey Taylor was healthy, we win the UConn game and SMU game. Can’t wait for Shamari & Corey to kill it next year. Two more Tulsa guys ready to roll!

Shamari was looking unstoppable before his injury. He and Brewer were the only consistent players on offense this year. Next year will be better than 2 - 10

Flanders and Brewer last year were 2 different styles which is why I think they were extremely effective change-ups for each other. Flanders hit the hole quick and hard and had a little more on him to get past the initial contact. Brewer had the jitter and ability to squeeze through tiny holes. Its only because Brewer missed some time last year with an injury (think he missed most of one game) that we didn't have 2 RBs with 1500 yds each. (Think Brewer had something like 1420 or so). When you consider we also passed for over 3000 yards, the combined 3000 yds rushing last year is a ridiculous stat that gets overlooked a lot.

Shamari is a little bit of both. He certainly has a jump cut that makes most RBs envious. He also rarely gets hit square on so he is able to get through some arm tackles. He also runs low and behind his pads. Once he gets through an entire S&C program at TU, he should be even more effective. Not sure who the 2nd back is next year whether it's Taylor or Reed Martin or TK Wilkerson ( I really like Wilkerson's game BTW). Our OL SHOULD be as good or better next year. I know we lose Plagg but Waahid is a beast and I think some of the RS SO (Bucktrot) or even the RS FR Bivens will step in to the G spot Uhles held down this year. Bivens size and feet (watch his video) are exciting to think about.

Reactions: quincy101
Corey Taylor rushed for 100 Yards and 2 TDs against OSU. Unfortunately we haven’t gotten to see nearly enough of him, but I think he’s good enough to compete with Shamari for HB1 status. The competition will be closer than you’d expect.

Ideally TK can redshirt this year if Reed Martin steps up or Javon Thomas gets his issues figured out. I love the idea of every running back being a tulsa area kid. Can anyone name the most recent great running back we’ve had from Texas? Just thinking it’s been a while since we’ve had one.

Our OL SHOULD be as good or better next year. I know we lose Plagg but Waahid is a beast and I think some of the RS SO (Bucktrot) or even the RS FR Bivens will step in to the G spot Uhles held down this year. Bivens size and feet (watch his video) are exciting to think about.
Why does everybody seem to forget about Frederick when talking about our OL next year.

Why does everybody seem to forget about Frederick when talking about our OL next year.
Because he hasn’t played in two years on campus and wasn’t healthy at all this year. Not sure he suited up even once. That’s why.

Corey Taylor rushed for 100 Yards and 2 TDs against OSU. Unfortunately we haven’t gotten to see nearly enough of him, but I think he’s good enough to compete with Shamari for HB1 status. The competition will be closer than you’d expect.

Ideally TK can redshirt this year if Reed Martin steps up or Javon Thomas gets his issues figured out. I love the idea of every running back being a tulsa area kid. Can anyone name the most recent great running back we’ve had from Texas? Just thinking it’s been a while since we’ve had one.
Ja'Terian Douglas was from Arlington, TX

Reactions: HuffyCane
Because he hasn’t played in two years on campus and wasn’t healthy at all this year. Not sure he suited up even once. That’s why.
This. And Rowdy's injury issue has been hinted at being something that doesn't quite correct itself.

If Warren makes the grade, that would be a heck of a story for what perseverance & stick to it can get you. As for R. Frederick, I don't think he's even been in school this fall semester.

Can anyone name the most recent great running back we’ve had from Texas? Just thinking it’s been a while since we’ve had one.
Dickerson. Montgomery recruit. But left the team last year before he killed his baby.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT