ADVERTISEMENT

Countdown to the Monty firing

I hope they handle the situation the same way they did with Haith. Day after the season ends.

Now watch TU win the last three games and get a bid to the CBI Bowl or some such pre-Christmas game.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I hope they handle the situation the same way they did with Haith. Day after the season ends.

Now watch TU win the last three games and get a bid to the CBI Bowl or some such pre-Christmas game.
Could happen. Memphis and USF both struggling. Houston could be difficult though. You essentially have to outscore Tune as SMU demonstrated.

Memphis and Tulsa fans have one thing in common, they both want their coach to take a hike!

Reactions: drboobay
Montgomery has a 41-51 record. A career winning percentage of .445 would get you fired within 5 years at 90%+ of FBS schools today. Monty has made it to season 8…….it’s definitely time for a change.
I noticed that the Tulane coach has a losing record as well!!!!

GO TU!!!

I noticed that the Tulane coach has a losing record as well!!!!
Tulane under Fritz: 39-44 (to date), coming off of a 2-10 season and currently 8-1

Tulsa under Monte: 43-62 (to date), coming off of a 7-6 season and currently 3-6.

It might also be worth taking note of expectations. Since 2002:

10 win seasons:
Tulsa: 5 (all between 2007 - 2016)
Tulane: 0 (last 10 win season 1998, before that 1934)

Bowls:
Tulsa: 12
Tulane: 5

<5 win seasons (bad year):
Tulsa: 7
Tulane: 12

That's not to say Tulsa has been a dominate program or anything, we've been manic. But recent history plays a large role in setting expectations. I'd guess most Tulane fans are content, particularly sitting at 8-1. I do not get a feeling of contentment from Tulsa fans.

Tulane under Fritz: 39-44 (to date), coming off of a 2-10 season and currently 8-1

Tulsa under Monte: 43-62 (to date), coming off of a 7-6 season and currently 3-6.

It might also be worth taking note of expectations. Since 2002:

10 win seasons:
Tulsa: 5 (all between 2007 - 2016)
Tulane: 0 (last 10 win season 1998, before that 1934)

Bowls:
Tulsa: 12
Tulane: 5

<5 win seasons (bad year):
Tulsa: 7
Tulane: 12

That's not to say Tulsa has been a dominate program or anything, we've been manic. But recent history plays a large role in setting expectations. I'd guess most Tulane fans are content, particularly sitting at 8-1. I do not get a feeling of contentment from Tulsa fans.
Look at Fritz record at Sam Houston, Central Mo, etc…. He inherited a bad situation fixed it and was rolling until the Hurricane displaced them last year.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
We should only be a little over 48 hrs from the final nail being put into the coffin although the obituary won't be published for a couple more weeks

Tidbit here about TU meeting to evaluate Montgomery. Cannot vouch for it.

Incredible that somebody is actually minding the store.

It's what a lot of posters have been actually saying for a few months now if not longer.

Shocking and refreshing that someone is intelligent enough to know the exact situation going on at 11th and Harvard.

Local journo's are you listening?

Go TU!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tulsafanzz
Could the "Peter Principle" be at work here? He reached his level of incompetence!

Incredible that somebody is actually minding the store.

It's what a lot of posters have been actually saying for a few months now if not longer.

Shocking and refreshing that someone is intelligent enough to know the exact situation going on at 11th and Harvard.

Local journo's are listening?

Go TU!!!!

It is amazing that local media is so clueless and some national source appears to be in the know. This is the opposite of most FBS programs. I hope that entire Tulsa report is correct. I would be happy with Kinne as our next coach.

Pretty sure we are already talking to candidates.
I can’t speak for the current situation at TU, but if this were true, it not only would be a possible material breach of the existing coach’s contract but it could also be used to negotiate a larger buy out than might otherwise be owed.

This is why you hire a search firm. The right search firm. They can vet potential candidates and can shop interest. The best ones do this in advance, “If Tulsa calls, we have these three horses in the barn ready to go with these possible staffers.” Where it really gets sloppy and sleazy is when those search firms have disclosed or undisclosed relationships with certain agents. And thats how you end up with an AD and a head football coach with the same agent who got his foot in the door through an underling who repped a successful field hockey coach ten years ago and the school been using the same search firm ever since and doesn’t have the sophistication or care that the “search” firm may or not be essentially a front for certain agents.

In the case of TU, and I have no idea, you are constantly taking calls gauging interest that are unsolicited and you pay an AD to know the market and the available candidates. And you keep in contact with search firms to solidify relationships in case your existing coach leaves or pulls a Bronco Mendenhall or you end up needing to fire him.

We have a head coach. As of today, that’s not going to change. To use your language, “pretty sure we aren’t talking to candidates.”

I have full faith in Rick Dickson to find the right coach to fit TU whether it's a guy on our radar or someone none of us have thought of yet. And of course we can all reasonably guess that Todd Graham has had someone call in his behalf as well as Chad Morris.

And of course we can all reasonably guess that Todd Graham has had someone call in his behalf as well as Chad Morris.
I wonder if Graham will try and drop the line that this is his dream job.

He'll just say he had to go thru all his other jobs to realize his dream job was always here.

Maybe he'll just keep going in reverse, and in a few years say his dream job was always at Rice.

There is “talking to candidates“ and there is “talking to candidates“. One is direct and involves discussion between the parties and the other indirect and involves intermediaries. TU is…….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT