ADVERTISEMENT

Countdown to the Monty firing

These commentators are dead wrong... The most frustrating thing is certainly not that the thirds string QB looks like he's a Heisman candidate and is kicking our arse. It our damn coach and his lack of ability to __________ !

Reactions: OKTornadoes
Montyball at its finest. Players don't seem to g a f either at this point, seems he may have lost the team finally. Receivers have been upset all day.

Usually I don't participate in these threads but it is pretty clear what we have this season and - again - it isn't good enough. So it had better happen.

Reactions: BigTuFootballFan
Today, someone spray painted Fire Monty on a bed sheet which is hanging on the front of the Sigma Chi house as of this evening.

Another group started the Fire Monty chant during the game with both his wife and daughter within earshot. They did seem visibly upset.

Today, someone spray painted Fire Monty on a bed sheet which is hanging on the front of the Sigma Chi house as of this evening.

Another group started the Fire Monty chant during the game with both his wife and daughter within earshot. They did seem visibly upset.
That is a bit ugly.

IMO better to vote with your feet and an email.

It was entirely predictable that something like that would happen if we got destroyed by SMU. If it upset them, they shouldn't have gone to the game. Like a boxer's wife getting upset bc her husband gets popped in the nose. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Reactions: The Nation of UCF
It was entirely predictable that something like that would happen if we got destroyed by SMU. If it upset them, they shouldn't have gone to the game. Like a boxer's wife getting upset bc her husband gets popped in the nose. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
Their daughter is on the cheer squad. I doubt she had the option to not attend.

From what I understand, the bed sheet was originally displayed on a campus apartment building until campus police ordered it to be taken down.

It then got moved to the fraternity house which is considered private property.

Reactions: The Nation of UCF
Their daughter is on the cheer squad. I doubt she had the option to not attend.

From what I understand, the bed sheet was originally displayed on a campus apartment building until campus police ordered it to be taken down.

It then got moved to the fraternity house which is considered private property.
That’s pretty mild compared to what most schools would be doing in our situation…

It was like moving a mountain to get Rick to move on Haith. And now Rick is super pleased with that decision. I suspect the same massive struggle will be in his mind about football after this season.

His daughter is a TU cheerleader...she's on the sideline every game. She can hear any crowd participating chant that is audibly frustrated with the coaching.

It was like moving a mountain to get Rick to move on Haith. And now Rick is super pleased with that decision. I suspect the same massive struggle will be in his mind about football after this season.
We played in bowl games the last 2 seasons and that will be the primary argument for keeping Monty. The reason against him is we've know since season 4 of Monty ball that mediocrity is the goal with him. He refuses to recruit the best talent in the state so he can maintain ties to so-so talent in Texas. There is no reason he should not have been putting on a full court press for Demarion Thomas from Union. He's verbally committed to Vanderbilt and the recruitment could go like this "I know you're going to an SEC school who has won only 1 conference game the last 4 years (combined). Do you really want to be part of the joke of "Who did Vandy lose to this week?"

This could have worked over the summer when TU could still say they've played in consecutive bowl games and had consecutive 1st round NFL picks and a defense that has been among the best in the country. Now that we're 2/3 of the way through the season, you can't pump that sunshine any more with the way we've looked.

If this decision is a struggle to make then we need a new AD also.
With the new energy around TU athletics along with some donor money coming in, I'm sure there will be renewed interest with the donors making a quid pro quo offer to pay whatever buyout is left for Monty for a new coach.

Well said. I tune in to games with skepticism and contempt for the people running the athletic department. Have no idea how Bruce Howard doesn't blow his brains out doing those weekly coaches shows that nobody watches.
I don't know if he would tell me or not but I might ask Rick Couri that question and what he expects might happen the next time I run into him walking in our neighborhood...we've talked TU before

We played in bowl games the last 2 seasons and that will be the primary argument for keeping Monty.
About 65% of schools will be in bowls in a given season, so the odds of making a bowl in 2 years out of 3 is about 78%. Which means only 22% of coaches will fail to achieve this metric. So we're saying that as long as Monty is better than 22% of coaches, then we have to keep him?

Reactions: TulsaAM
About 65% of schools will be in bowls in a given season, so the odds of making a bowl in 2 years out of 3 is about 78%. Which means only 22% of coaches will fail to achieve this metric. So we're saying that as long as Monty is better than 22% of coaches, then we have to keep him?
Yes the argument from some, like Haisten and other media types will be that precise argument with their little old Tulsa mindset that we cannot possibly afford anyone better and Monty's track record of players being decent human beings and graduating for the most part make him right for TU

Yes the argument from some, like Haisten and other media types will be that precise argument with their little old Tulsa mindset that we cannot possibly afford anyone better and Monty's track record of players being decent human beings and graduating for the most part make him right for TU
One could also argue that most decent human beings don’t follow opposing teams into the locker room

That’s pretty mild compared to what most schools would be doing in our situation…
Or pro teams, particularly English futbol teams like Leeds United. Some chants & songs are hilarious, others make an old sailor blush. For example, 2 weeks before American Christian Pulisic's German coach was sacked at Chelsea, Leed's fans were chanting: " Thomas Tuchel is a pedofile". I imagine Huffy also has some stories about sports fans in England.

Forgive me for posting about soccer, but the world's biggest sporting event is later in November and an American team needs all the support they can get. It is estimated that at least 1.5 billion people will watch the World Cup.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Glad that current leadership is not putting artificial limits on aspirations.

Michigan Michigan St.
Yeah...I saw that. Pretty despicable. MSU fans are claiming Michigan should fix where the teams exit the field and have separate entrances to the locker rooms instead of coming in and out of the same tunnel. Pretty lame excuse. Maybe you should have players leave the competition on the field and just exit when the game's over instead of swinging helmets.

Yeah...I saw that. Pretty despicable. MSU fans are claiming Michigan should fix where the teams exit the field and have separate entrances to the locker rooms instead of coming in and out of the same tunnel. Pretty lame excuse. Maybe you should have players leave the competition on the field and just exit when the game's over instead of swinging helmets.
I wonder if Dougie was in on the chase and melee?

I was more so talking about our players following Cincinnati players into the locker room , but ya , the Michigan thing was terrible
🙄 that story has grown and grown (Cincinnati fans took it and ran with it)… the latest version is that fans jumped down from the stands and tried to fight Cincinnati players in the tunnel. That whole thing was WAY overblown - and yes I saw it. It was directly in front of me.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Montgomery has a 41-51 record. A career winning percentage of .445 would get you fired within 5 years at 90%+ of FBS schools today. Monty has made it to season 8…….it’s definitely time for a change.

we are 3-5. do we we any more games this year? does rick wait till the end of the sesson or is he waiting for monty to resign

They all count one and we play them one at a time. This will play itself out.

As for the frats, that isn’t private property. The frats rest on university property. They each own the individual buildings and all have an operational agreement subject to certain university policies that dates back decades. Fun fact: the Pike house was originally housing for returning GIs from Europe.

Reactions: TU_BLA and TU 1978
Or pro teams, particularly English futbol teams like Leeds United. Some chants & songs are hilarious, others make an old sailor blush. For example, 2 weeks before American Christian Pulisic's German coach was sacked at Chelsea, Leed's fans were chanting: " Thomas Tuchel is a pedofile". I imagine Huffy also has some stories about sports fans in England.

Forgive me for posting about soccer, but the world's biggest sporting event is later in November and an American team needs all the support they can get. It is estimated that at least 1.5 billion people will watch the World Cup.
Wow. What you’ll hear in the stands these days in England is shocking … about their own team. Which I suppose is better than fighting on the terraces like the 70s and 80s. But nothing compares to the videos of continental Europe, especially Dutch and Italian leagues. References to the Holocaust, racial slurs, glorifying African genocide, pedophile jokes, homophobic songs, chants about plane crashes that killed their own entire team, stadium disasters where dozens were crushed or burned, the list goes on and on none of it is acceptable. Comparatively, America has no frame of reference. That said, we are better than taunting anyone, including the coach’s wife.

Fun fact: I don’t recall chants or banners by students to remove Rader, Burns, or BB. It’s working. And that’s cool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT