ADVERTISEMENT

Countdown to the Monty firing

Wow. What you’ll hear in the stands these days in England is shocking … about their own team. Which I suppose is better than fighting on the terraces like the 70s and 80s. But nothing compares to the videos of continental Europe, especially Dutch and Italian leagues. References to the Holocaust, racial slurs, glorifying African genocide, pedophile jokes, homophobic songs, chants about plane crashes that killed their own entire team, stadium disasters where dozens were crushed or burned, the list goes on and on none of it is acceptable. Comparatively, America has no frame of reference. That said, we are better than taunting anyone, including the coach’s wife.

Fun fact: I don’t recall chants or banners by students to remove Rader, Burns, or BB. It’s working. And that’s cool.
If Burns was around for years 7 and 8, I'm thinking some signs might have gone up.

Wow. What you’ll hear in the stands these days in England is shocking … about their own team. Which I suppose is better than fighting on the terraces like the 70s and 80s. But nothing compares to the videos of continental Europe, especially Dutch and Italian leagues. References to the Holocaust, racial slurs, glorifying African genocide, pedophile jokes, homophobic songs, chants about plane crashes that killed their own entire team, stadium disasters where dozens were crushed or burned, the list goes on and on none of it is acceptable. Comparatively, America has no frame of reference. That said, we are better than taunting anyone, including the coach’s wife.

Fun fact: I don’t recall chants or banners by students to remove Rader, Burns, or BB. It’s working. And that’s cool.
In your opinion Huffy, how do you think things will play out with Montgomery

Reactions: HuffyCane
In your opinion Huffy, how do you think things will play out with Montgomery
I don’t know. I know three things:

1) He’s under contract until 2024. He would ordinarily need to be renewed or terminated at the end of this season regardless of wins or losses under ordinary industry customs.

2) Performance metrics failures off the field often trumps any success on the field. But if he goes bowling, and we have another kid or two taken in the draft, it’s tough to see them letting him go. No matter what anyone with “insider” knowledge might say about what they think might happen. Anyone who says they know cannot know. The decision isn’t made that way.
3) There won’t be a shortage of people wanting this job. If someone comes forward who is cheaper and a better fit long term, you might see movement. There’s plenty of coaches out there who can work for nearly free with offsets right now. Some with Tulsa ties.

Should be interesting. Talking about it is fun. Making a fool of yourself in the stadium, in an email, or to Rick won’t influence the decision any particular direction. Decisions like this one are often larger than the concerns of fans or even the administration and involve things beyond money, wins, and even athletics as a whole.

We will be OK either way.

Go to the games. Buy the tickets. Up your Fund donation. That’s the way to influence this decision. It might be only $40, but everyone will need to chip in on any buyout. That starts Saturday if that’s the way you want it to go.

Reactions: TULSARISING
I don’t know. I know three things:

1) He’s under contract until 2024. He would ordinarily need to be renewed or terminated at the end of this season regardless of wins or losses under ordinary industry customs.

2) Performance metrics failures off the field often trumps any success on the field. But if he goes bowling, and we have another kid or two taken in the draft, it’s tough to see them letting him go. No matter what anyone with “insider” knowledge might say about what they think might happen. Anyone who says they know cannot know. The decision isn’t made that way.
3) There won’t be a shortage of people wanting this job. If someone comes forward who is cheaper and a better fit long term, you might see movement. There’s plenty of coaches out there who can work for nearly free with offsets right now. Some with Tulsa ties.

Should be interesting. Talking about it is fun. Making a fool of yourself in the stadium, in an email, or to Rick won’t influence the decision any particular direction. Decisions like this one are often larger than the concerns of fans or even the administration and involve things beyond money, wins, and even athletics as a whole.

We will be OK either way.

Go to the games. Buy the tickets. Up your Fund donation. That’s the way to influence this decision. It might be only $40, but everyone will need to chip in on any buyout. That starts Saturday if that’s the way you want it to go.
Rick was responsive to my email about the basketball situation and I am glad I contacted him.

So if you have something constructive to contribute beyond the obvious I say go ahead and email Rick. The message can include that you support a coaching change and why.

I have not done it yet because I don't feel I have anything to say this time beyond what is visible to all. That might change and if it does I will email.

Just remember nobody likes chronic complainers. I always try to keep that in mind in these situations. Try to be judicious about such things.

A bowl is unachievable at this point as only one of the remaining games is remotely winnable. That should be the kiss of death for Monty.

Rick was responsive to my email about the basketball situation and I am glad I contacted him.

So if you have something constructive to contribute beyond the obvious I say go ahead and email Rick. The message can include that you support a coaching change and why.

I have not done it yet because I don't feel I have anything to say this time beyond what is visible to all. That might change and if it does I will email.

Just remember nobody likes chronic complainers. I always try to keep that in mind in these situations. Try to be judicious about such things.
I didn’t say don’t email. I said don’t make a fool of yourself.

They all count one and we play them one at a time. This will play itself out.

As for the frats, that isn’t private property. The frats rest on university property. They each own the individual buildings and all have an operational agreement subject to certain university policies that dates back decades. Fun fact: the Pike house was originally housing for returning GIs from Europe.
It was also an athletic dorm at one time. When I arrived on campus the Pike's were essentially the Tri Lam's of fraternity row.

Their daughter is on the cheer squad. I doubt she had the option to not attend.

From what I understand, the bed sheet was originally displayed on a campus apartment building until campus police ordered it to be taken down.

It then got moved to the fraternity house which is considered private property.
So not exactly...the resident of the TU apt is obligated to follow certain community rules as well as fire codes. My guess is Campus security and housing could reasonably require it to be taken down from the apt because it violated both community standards and some obscure multi-residential fire code.

The fraternity house is on university property. The fraternity pays the university a small lease fee (like really small, maybe $100 a year) for the house to be on University property. The house itself is owned and operated by the local chapter (and may have some operational duties overseen by the national org...not 100% sure on this). The likely only backlash the local chapter would face is from the Greek advisor and dean of students. Housing has no oversight of the fraternity houses (unlike the residential portions of the sorority houses which are owned and operated by TU Residence Life/Housing ops).

So not exactly...the resident of the TU apt is obligated to follow certain community rules as well as fire codes. My guess is Campus security and housing could reasonably require it to be taken down from the apt because it violated both community standards and some obscure multi-residential fire code.

The fraternity house is on university property. The fraternity pays the university a small lease fee (like really small, maybe $100 a year) for the house to be on University property. The house itself is owned and operated by the local chapter (and may have some operational duties overseen by the national org...not 100% sure on this). The likely only backlash the local chapter would face is from the Greek advisor and dean of students. Housing has no oversight of the fraternity houses (unlike the residential portions of the sorority houses which are owned and operated by TU Residence Life/Housing ops).
Either way, they were asked to take the banner down on Sunday when a kids group was visiting the row for Trick or Treats.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I do know that e-mails to Rick make a difference. Cordial ones. Fans and donors are the ones paying his salary. Every congressman will tell you that enough emails begin to really make you consider a situation.

Reactions: TU 1978
*Bump*
Monty poppin' a squat on the sidelines on big plays reminds me of what he's done to this program.

If it’s going to happen… Once there is no chance of redemption (bowl eligibility), and thus no excuse on how his dismissal could affect the remainder of the season would seem logical to me. A good amount of time to vet candidates and make a hire and give the new guy a chance at putting together a team of new recruits, the remaining players and portal players.

Fired Coach Coaching...

Montys biggest error was the Baylor scandal breaking in yr 2.. or he would be gone already...

Still cant believe that stench isnt all over Lebby...

If we keep PM.. can we just hire Art to run the offense?

• Haha
Reactions: TulsaAM
If it’s going to happen… Once there is no chance of redemption (bowl eligibility), and thus no excuse on how his dismissal could affect the remainder of the season would seem logical to me. A good amount of time to vet candidates and make a hire and give the new guy a chance at putting together a team of new recruits, the remaining players and portal players.
Without speaking about this position in particular, it’s not unusual for programs to know a year in advance of a change (or more) who they are going to hire. So the early fire to give extra time to hire is overrated. A lot of times they already know the dude and they start the transition early.

The only reason you fire in season these days is if you know you could lose a lot of talent to the transfer portal if you don’t move quickly. I don’t think TU is in that situation. The damage you do by giving up on the seniors and marginalizing their relationship with someone who by all accounts still has the locker room is something you do not take lightly. The players are the program. They like the guy, in most cases, it’s a good idea in that situation to let them have their year then you deal with internal personnel decisions after the players have played.

Last edited:
Without speaking about this position in particular, it’s not unusual for programs to know a year in advance of a change (or more) who they are going to hire. So the early fire to give extra time to hire is overrated. A lot of times they already know the dude and they start the transition early.

The only reason you fire in season these days is if you know you could lose a lot of talent to the transfer portal if you don’t move quickly. I don’t think TU is in that situation. The damage you do by giving up on the seniors and marginalizing their relationship with someone who by all accounts still has the locker room is something you do not take lightly. The players are the program. They like the guy, in most cases, it’s a good idea in that situation to let them have their year then you deal with internal personnel decisions after the players have played.
Certainly a reasonable approach based on the fact that Monty is liked by the players. Hell, most of us like the guy, we’re rooting for him to be successful, and wish things would have went differently.

Certainly a reasonable approach based on the fact that Monty is liked by the players. Hell, most of us like the guy, we’re rooting for him to be successful, and wish things would have went differently.
You like a loser who steals millions from the university and is a complete charlatan? To hell with this guy... Golden parachuted redneck that he is

You like a loser who steals millions from the university and is a complete charlatan? To hell with this guy... Golden parachuted redneck that he is
Took a pay cut when we needed it, but stole millions. Calling him a redneck, glass houses.

Reactions: OKTornadoes
Season 8 Twd GIF by The Walking Dead

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
🙄 that story has grown and grown (Cincinnati fans took it and ran with it)… the latest version is that fans jumped down from the stands and tried to fight Cincinnati players in the tunnel. That whole thing was WAY overblown - and yes I saw it. It was directly in front of me.
The funny part is Tulsa fans jumping from the stands... there are not Tulsa fans in the stands so fake news!

• Haha
Reactions: OKTornadoes
I told the Athletic Department I was gone with my GHC (at the time) and am down to one season ticket for my dad two years ago when they resigned Monty. That's after years of financial support.

Monty is NOT a good head coach. He is an assistant at best and it's been obvious for a while.

Reactions: Hurricanetown1
Phillip is a good decent man that wants his players to be their best. When this door closes, I pray another door opens for him that he can be passion about it.

LT. Joe Kenda said his best job after retiring as Homicide Detective was driving a school bus for elementary kids. It was seeing their bright smiling faces each school day.

Phillip is a good decent man that wants his players to be their best. When this door closes, I pray another door opens for him that he can be passion about it.

LT. Joe Kenda said his best job after retiring as Homicide Detective was driving a school bus for elementary kids. It was seeing their bright smiling faces each school day.
This is the old country boy in me , but if I was Monty , I’d buy 100 acres and build a cabin on on it and enjoy retirement

Reactions: Okietch51
No, I hate losing as much as the next guy. However, I do prefer decent human beings and tend to hope that those said humans are successful in their endeavors, especially when it involves young men they are charged with leading and representing my alma mater.

No, I hate losing as much as the next guy. However, I do prefer decent human beings and tend to hope that those said humans are successful in their endeavors, especially when it involves young men they are charged with leading and representing my alma mater.
He did not steal anything. Rather he worked to the best of his ability for his employer given circumstances, as far as I can tell.

Of course that does not guarantee retention. Best of one's ability is not always enough.

He did not steal anything. Rather he worked to the best of his ability for his employer given circumstances, as far as I can tell.

Of course that does not guarantee retention. Best of one's ability is not always enough.
To clarify, I 100% agree with you. I was responding to TulsaGrad07 and his thought of:

"You like a loser who steals millions from the university and is a complete charlatan? To hell with this guy... Golden parachuted redneck that he is

Better stated would have been:
I hate losing as much as the next guy. However, I do prefer decent human beings and tend to hope that those said humans are successful in their endeavors, especially when it involves young men they are charged with leading and representing my Alma mater. Monty hasn't won as much as I'd like to see, but he is a good human, good leader of young men, and has been a good representative of the University. Nothing has been stolen (pretty ridiculous implication) he simply hasn't performed to the level we had hoped for the wage we were willing to pay and he was willing to accept.

To clarify, I 100% agree with you. I was responding to TulsaGrad07 and his thought of:

"You like a loser who steals millions from the university and is a complete charlatan? To hell with this guy... Golden parachuted redneck that he is

Better stated would have been:
I hate losing as much as the next guy. However, I do prefer decent human beings and tend to hope that those said humans are successful in their endeavors, especially when it involves young men they are charged with leading and representing my Alma mater. Monty hasn't won as much as I'd like to see, but he is a good human, good leader of young men, and has been a good representative of the University. Nothing has been stolen (pretty ridiculous implication) he simply hasn't performed to the level we had hoped for the wage we were willing to pay and he was willing to accept.
as dr. boobay said...he worked to the best of his ability. that says it all

I’ve never been a fan of mid-season firings, but I might be changing my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT