ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Haith

astonmartin708

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Apr 17, 2012
From Tulsa World:
After his eligibility waiver and appeal were recently denied by the NCAA, walk-on guard Corey Haith will not be on the team this season and his college career is over. Haith played in 31 games at Missouri and TU while dealing with two torn ACLs and a broken hand.

“For him not to have the opportunity to have a senior year and have a senior night, it’s disappointing,” dad Frank Haith said. “He’s probably played and practiced, been on the court, 2½ years. ... He’s a walk-on who’s paying his way to school. He would probably only get in one game his senior year.”

And we won't have that guy who can play 1 minute at the end of the half who can jack up a 3 from 30 ft and/or commit a stupid foul 25 feet from the basket.

I want a guy that can play 1 minute at the end of each half who can jack up a 3 from 30 ft AND commit a stupid foul 25 feet from the basket.

From Tulsa World:
He’s a walk-on who’s paying his way to school. He would probably only get in one game his senior year.”

Isn't Corey an eligible dependent when it comes to tuition waivers or does the NCAA require a coaches son whose a walk-on pay their own way despite university policy?

Isn't Corey an eligible dependent when it comes to tuition waivers or does the NCAA require a coaches son whose a walk-on pay their own way despite university policy?
He is eligible for a tuition waiver from TU as the dependent of an employee. Remember when Tubby was here and GG "committed" to TU. He didn't sign an LOI because he wasn't going to be on an athletic scholarship. No, Corey may be paying "his own way" for his apartment on campus if he is staying in one with a teammate. I would have no doubt that Frank is paying that bill though. I do feel for Corey because he did put in the work to be able to be recognized along with his teammates as a senior.

Reactions: drboobay
The tuition waiver from TU only covers half of the total tuition from what I understood when I was in school with some people who's parents worked there.

Edit: It's 50% during the first year, then 100% every year after. I just misremembered.

The tuition waiver from TU only covers half of the total tuition from what I understood when I was in school with some people who's parents worked there.

Edit: It's 50% during the first year, then 100% every year after. I just misremembered.
The way it was when I knew about it was It was for 7/8ths of the tuition. I think it was still this way around the year 2000. And you had to work for a year or two for it to become enstated.

Hopefully it would not be against the rules to have him honored during an early pre-game as his "Senior night"... to simply walk out in uniform before a game...

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I still have eligibility, unless it expires at 65.

Is it against the rules to have a walk-on of the night? Some of us diehards can just alternate getting to play the final minute of each half and chunk 3s?

Could be a big time fundraiser for the sport!!!!11

Reactions: nevadanatural
The way it was when I knew about it was It was for 7/8ths of the tuition. I think it was still this way around the year 2000. And you had to work for a year or two for it to become enstated.
I graduated in 2014 and the tuition was covered 100% the entire time with the waiver. It can also apply to Grad school, but then taxes have to be paid. There was a case of someone using it until their late 20s. After that, they put in an age cap.

This sucks. No reason not to let him have a sixth year. This is bad faith by someone at the NCAA who got excited when they read the Yahoo articles and then didn’t get what they wanted. So let’s punish his kid. That’s bull crap. The NCAA ruins this sport.

This sucks. No reason not to let him have a sixth year. This is bad faith by someone at the NCAA who got excited when they read the Yahoo articles and then didn’t get what they wanted. So let’s punish his kid. That’s bull crap. The NCAA ruins this sport.

It really is remarkable how consistently they make obviously wrong decisions. Like punishing Wheeler for driving a garbage truck for a year to support his mom

He is eligible for a tuition waiver from TU as the dependent of an employee. Remember when Tubby was here and GG "committed" to TU. He didn't sign an LOI because he wasn't going to be on an athletic scholarship. No, Corey may be paying "his own way" for his apartment on campus if he is staying in one with a teammate. I would have no doubt that Frank is paying that bill though. I do feel for Corey because he did put in the work to be able to be recognized along with his teammates as a senior.

NCAA douche behavior once again....

He should be recognized. Though he might not have seen much game time, he put in the work and had to of contributed in practice in all scrimmage situations. Personally, I'd walk him right out there with the other seniors, give him his jersey, a round of applause, and thank you.

I’d see if other coaches object to him playing. Then play him when they don’t. This is crap. He was unable to play. Not his fault his dad switched jobs in the middle of his eligibility.

If NCAA vacates wins or bans you from postseason, go have your own damn tournament.

None of this will happen. The level of disrespect shown to this player is just wrong. Just shameful by NCAA.

He'll probably still practice with the team at times. As far as I know there are no rules about who practices. He won't travel obviously. I'm guessing he'll become a grad assistant to Haith or one of Haith's coaching friends in the next few years. No reason to cry too much for the son of a multi millionaire. We can still honor him at senior day just like we honored Kodi Maduka.

I have eligibility left. If allowed to walk on I promise to attend as much class as the average John Calipari recruit. That should keep us cool with the NCAA. And I understand I may not be on the travel squad very often.

Feel bad for Corey. He’s battled injuries his whole career. This ruling is a solid and square “slap in the face” to athletes dealing with issues outside of their control, regardless of the financial status of their parents.

I graduated in 2014 and the tuition was covered 100% the entire time with the waiver. It can also apply to Grad school, but then taxes have to be paid. There was a case of someone using it until their late 20s. After that, they put in an age cap.
When we put two kids thru TU, tuition was 100%, but books, room &board, etc was out of pocket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT