ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations to ORU

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
I have never started a ORU thread but those guys deserve it. One win away from an NCAA berth. Won tonight at the buzzer and shot the nets off from three. Defense is worse than ours though. I am not promoting the coach but the kids were spectacular tonight and deserve a lot of praise from the basketball fans of Tulsa.

Good for them. Although I don't follow any teams other than Tulsa, and right now lightly, I hope they do great and get a berth. If they make their way in, I will try to watch them play.

I used to root against ORU getting an auto bid but this year I hope they get it. But my guess is that Abmas gets a better offer than crosstown as in mid level SEC.

Hope I’m wrong. His outside shot is what we need. And I’m fine with bringing his coach along. Deja vu.

Reactions: drboobay
Even if they won their conference at best they would get a play in game.

I thought you were guaranteed a round of 64 game if you got the auto bid. Play ins are for at large s who were on the cusp.
Or teams from minor conferences that have poor records like ORU.

Typically they have two 16 seed auto bids and two 11 seed at-larges in the first 4.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Typically they have two 16 seed auto bids and two 11 seed at-larges in the first 4.
Aah. I forgot about that. That tells you how important being a team in the play in game is to people. Not important at all.

I still doubt that ORU would end up in that play in. There will be worse teams from the likes of the MEAC or the Patriot league that pull upsets.

First time watching them play. Fun team. Everyone shoots the three. Good spacing. Up tempo.

ORU has a net of 160. Would likely be near 150 with a win tonight. Can’t imagine they end up as one of the bottom two teams in the tourney. 15 seed imo

Reactions: astonmartin708
Oru had not been to the ncaa since 2008 I would always root against oru since I didn’t want them to steal our thunder in Tulsa. This year I want them to win and go dancing as this would be the final nail in the haith nightmare guaranteed. The net of the teams in their league are much lower than the teams in the aac.

Reactions: 04Watu
ORU quit attacking in the second half....and we need Abmas in blue and gold.

Fun game to watch if you don’t have a dog in the fight. ORU went ice in last 15 minutes

Nice finish for ORU, after blowing 25 point lead. Abmas is a really good player.

Oru a 15 or 14
A first round exit in NCAA ahead

Mills did a horrible job in the second half
Blowing a 25 point lead to tie under a minutes

I would love to have Abmas and Obanor
But will pass on Mills

But sincere congrats to ORU and what is left of their fan base

Abmas is special. But he wouldn’t be averaging 25 points a game with the defenses in the AAC or B12.

Abmas is special. But he wouldn’t be averaging 25 points a game with the defenses in the AAC or B12.
He dropped 36 and 9 assists on Oklahoma State. Not sure he would average 25.... but certainly would average enough to be a first team all conference.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Strange to watch a game with so many open shots on both ends, even when "good" defense being played.

He dropped 40 and 32 against South Dakota State in their weekend series back in February.

They are blowing it 25 point lead at down to 5
64349734.jpg

There were probably three players on ORU who could have started for TU this year. When you get out recruited by ORU, it may be time to re-evaluate things at TU. ORU found shooters that we haven't found in 7 years.
I understand the point you're making, but to be honest, ORU and Tulsa aren't competing for the same players. It hasn't always been this way, but especially since joining the AAC, Tulsa recruits a higher-level of player that wouldn't even consider ORU. So it's all about perspective. Some players work out, some don't. If you want to stick around as a coach, you need more of them to work out than not. But TU and ORU are not recruiting out of the same player pool, so I think it's hard to justify the statement, "When you get out-recruited by ORU..." It might be fair to say ORU did a better job recruiting because the players are working out for them, at their level, in their league. However, Tulsa did tie for an AAC title last season.

I understand the point you're making, but to be honest, ORU and Tulsa aren't competing for the same players. It hasn't always been this way, but especially since joining the AAC, Tulsa recruits a higher-level of player that wouldn't even consider ORU. So it's all about perspective. Some players work out, some don't. If you want to stick around as a coach, you need more of them to work out than not. But TU and ORU are not recruiting out of the same player pool, so I think it's hard to justify the statement, "When you get out-recruited by ORU..." It might be fair to say ORU did a better job recruiting because the players are working out for them, at their level, in their league. However, Tulsa did tie for an AAC title last season.
We’re stuck in a success limbo. We have better players than the mid-majors who can grab auto bids easily if they recruit successfully and build good teams (that used to be us in the MVC). But, we don’t get good enough players to grab at large bids. In some ways, being in a smaller conference might be more beneficial for us because it would mean we could dominate like Wichita used to. If we’re intent on sticking in the AAC though, we have to recruit players and develop them at such a level that we can make at large bids. There is no other option if we don’t want to be kicked out. (Football hasn’t been able to carry us like it was in the CUSA)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT