ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Openings and Rumors

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
What are we hearing folks? Right now the big openings are Arizona, Illinois, and Auburn. I've been hearing Auburn may promote from within and hire their DC Kevin Steele to be the next head coach. So, 20+ yrs ago Kevin Steele was the HC at Baylor. It was a ****ing disaster. He's a nice guy but he couldn't recruit and he couldn't ever be competitive in the Big XII (8-36 in 4 seasons). He has a wealth of NFL experience as a LB coach and he's been pretty good as Auburn's HC (so maybe it was planned that they wanted to keep Steele around and firing Gus was a way they could do that...seems like a blueprint for Rick Dickson).

Arizona- I keep hearing Fickel's name. That would be an awful move. I've also heard Fickel's name associated with the Illinois job. Both would be lateral moves at best in terms of the job themselves but obviously an upgrade in salary. At either place he is likely looking for a new job in 3-4 years. Schools like that fire coaches for not winning conference championships and neither of those teams is winning a conference championship in enough time to save a coach's job. I've heard the UAB coach's name for a couple of those, including Auburn but most Auburn boosters are wanting a P5 guy to take over. Auburn is delusional to think that anyone is going to win more than Gus did without cheating.

Any others? Would anyone be shocked if Harbaugh left Michigan for an NFL gig? Now that would be a job that I think Fickel would jump at.

It will be interesting to see who replaces Herman at Texas. That’s a real sh!tshow.

It will be interesting to see who replaces Herman at Texas. That’s a real sh!tshow.
That won't be this year unless everything is a smokescreen though. If they do move on, I think they might take a run at Dabo. I would assume they'll take a look at Fickel too. I can't think of many P5 head coaches who fit their profile (Matt Campbell, Mario Cristobal?) Maybe they'll take a run at an NFL coach. The problem that has beset the last 2 coaches at Texas besides the obvious not beating OU enough, is that Charley Strong and Herman have seemed to sink put all their eggs into recruiting. They value the star value of recruits over their actual fit in whatever system they're trying to run. And they're too eager to move on to the next best thing when a high value player is recruited. There is ZERO chemistry on that team. You've got players with strengths playing in a system that is actually detrimental to their strengths.

Which is exactly why we shouldn’t sign every local kid with a highlight tape or an offer from North Texas.

Cincinnati claims and it appears that Fickle will be very selective.

OSU and ND could get him with no trouble. Otherwise they think it will take a Texas, USC, Florida type. He is an Ohio guy, strong catholic, big young family and not interested in just chasing money right now. Him turning down Michigan St to me says its OSU or bust for big ten teams. Those are the most likely to pull him.

UC is paying him well for most schools which will keep some of the riff raff out.

I am watching for Auburn to hopefully cause some chain reactions for everyone to end up happy from this year.

Out of the three P5 jobs open, the only one that might have a shot at Fickell would be Auburn, just because of the short step up he would have to take, to compete for championships. But I don't know if they could get him to sign on the dotted line. Arizona and Illinois wouldn't even have a chance.

That won't be this year unless everything is a smokescreen though. If they do move on, I think they might take a run at Dabo. I would assume they'll take a look at Fickel too. I can't think of many P5 head coaches who fit their profile (Matt Campbell, Mario Cristobal?) Maybe they'll take a run at an NFL coach. The problem that has beset the last 2 coaches at Texas besides the obvious not beating OU enough, is that Charley Strong and Herman have seemed to sink put all their eggs into recruiting. They value the star value of recruits over their actual fit in whatever system they're trying to run. And they're too eager to move on to the next best thing when a high value player is recruited. There is ZERO chemistry on that team. You've got players with strengths playing in a system that is actually detrimental to their strengths.

There are plenty of Texas boosters who say it will happen this year. They are so disenchanted with Pee Wee that some have said getting rid of Strong was a mistake.

There are plenty of Texas boosters who say it will happen this year. They are so disenchanted with Pee Wee that some have said getting rid of Strong was a mistake.
They said that about Akers too for a few years then sobered up.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT