ADVERTISEMENT

coaches merry go round

aTUfan

I.T.S. Athletic Director
Apr 18, 2011
la la land
A writer in the Dallas Morning news thinks that if Herman goes to Texas, then Montgomery goes to Houston.

WHY???????????????

I may be wrong but after everything I've seen and heard from Monty about this team and this community I don't know if he's going to be lured away, especially to some place like Houston.

well, Monty was at Houston then Briles was there. He knows the program. And, comparing fan support here to UH is unfortunately not in our favor. However, UH can no longer use the bait that it is headed to the Big XII. Don't scream at me, but it's somewhat comparable to Graham heading interconfertnce from Rice to TU. However, on the character side of it, Monty is not the dip that Graham was. My guess is Monty says no, because another good year here can open up a decent P5 job, rather than a crappy one.

well, Monty was at Houston then Briles was there. He knows the program. And, comparing fan support here to UH is unfortunately not in our favor. However, UH can no longer use the bait that it is headed to the Big XII. Don't scream at me, but it's somewhat comparable to Graham heading interconfertnce from Rice to TU. However, on the character side of it, Monty is not the dip that Graham was. My guess is Monty says no, because another good year here can open up a decent P5 job, rather than a crappy one.

Graham also went from assistant to HC.
Monty is and can continue to have great success here and wait for whatever his dream job to open up and get it.
I am hopeful he'll stick around for another couple of years.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
My guess is how confident Monty is in our quarterback roster next year has a big effect on whether he stays for another year.

I'd be shocked and surprised that Monty would leave for a conference rival. I do think he'll jump at an opportunity for A&M, Texas, and maybe even Texas Tech. I don't see him leaving for a lateral job and I don't see him taking a larger job outside of Texas and it's bordering states.

Monty is and can continue to have great success here and wait for whatever his dream job to open up and get it.

Actually Graham went from TU assistant to Rice HC then after 1 year back to TU as HC. I have no idea if Montgomery will leave but the scenario is very similar.

You can't move from Rice to a upper tier P5 program so Graham had to move somewhere after Rice. Question is whether Monty thinks he can move from TU directly to LSU or AM etc. or does he need a stop in between?

It's doubtful he would need another stop. And Houston is a lateral move.

It's doubtful he would need another stop. And Houston is a lateral move.
Game in, game out for a full season they haven't looked like a step up over us but they've been able to get over the hump on the big wins and we really haven't gotten close. Not sure if that's the players they can recruit or what but it's given them more profile than us.

Yup ESPN also just said if Herman goes to LSU Charlie Strong stays at Texas.
Likely because UT President is a big fan. I think Strong is a good coach but he needs to not be so quick to fire his assts. whenever a booster gets antsy. You can't have any type of consistency in technique like that. I don't think Houston comes after Monty. TBH Houston could probably go back after Briles.

Don't forget that Les Miles is available for UH to consider. Or Mr. Applewhite.

I don't think Herman's going to LSU. ESPN got it wrong about Strong being fired earlier this week, and this feeble attempt at legerdemain (an unnamed source reporting through ESPN) is blatantly transparent: he's trying to get Texas to up their offering price and make it sooner than before the end of the season.

Likely because UT President is a big fan. I think Strong is a good coach but he needs to not be so quick to fire his assts. whenever a booster gets antsy. You can't have any type of consistency in technique like that. I don't think Houston comes after Monty. TBH Houston could probably go back after Briles.
Wouldn't hurt their rep any. I mean that seriously, and as a dis.

Only reason would be $$.
.... facilities, actual fan support and being right in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting grounds. However, like most believe, Monty can likely go from TU to a major job without risking a temporary adjustment curve that comes from taking over a new job. I would not be surprised if Texas Tech comes open and he is a top candidate. Then again, Tech is just as likely to pursue a bigger name such as Les Miles. For that matter, UH could take a run at Lester.

TX

.... facilities, actual fan support and being right in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting grounds. However, like most believe, Monty can likely go from TU to a major job without risking a temporary adjustment curve that comes from taking over a new job. I would not be surprised if Texas Tech comes open and he is a top candidate. Then again, Tech is just as likely to pursue a bigger name such as Les Miles. For that matter, UH could take a run at Lester.

How about ASU? Arizona? Oregon?

I may be wrong but after everything I've seen and heard from Monty about this team and this community I don't know if he's going to be lured away, especially to some place like Houston.
I pray he does leave specifically for money. Maybe the University will finally learn their lesson and either shut the program down completely or fund it completely. Money isnt the only reason people stay in a job but getting a raise certainly makes you feel appreciated and erases any thoughts of going somewhere else at least for a while. Im tired of talking about coaches that used to coach at Tulsa..............Its time.........Pay the man already!

I pray he does leave specifically for money. Maybe the University will finally learn their lesson and either shut the program down completely or fund it completely. Money isnt the only reason people stay in a job but getting a raise certainly makes you feel appreciated and erases any thoughts of going somewhere else at least for a while. Im tired of talking about coaches that used to coach at Tulsa..............Its time.........Pay the man already!
With what money? Do you think the athletic department is sitting on some pile of cash they're not telling anyone about?

Reactions: TulsaGrad07
With what money? Do you think the athletic department is sitting on some pile of cash they're not telling anyone about?

And even if we did have a pile of cash, would Monty stay if we offered him 3 mil? He'd still jump ship one day for that 5 or 6 mil that Big 12 and SEC teams throw around as intro salaries.

Tech doesn't make sense to me. It's a dumpster fire after the mess Kingsbury made of the program and hemorrhaging players.

Reactions: TU 1978
And even if we did have a pile of cash, would Monty stay if we offered him 3 mil? He'd still jump ship one day for that 5 or 6 mil that Big 12 and SEC teams throw around as intro salaries.
Not to rehash some of the older threads we discussed here on the board concerning where the money would come from, but there is money out there! Even more so, if we dint have the money to pay Monty than we have an even bigger problem and need to find a new Athletic Director.

Reactions: TU 1978
Has a program averaging 20k fans per home game ever given their existing coach $3M plus per year? We have issues other than simply money when it comes to retaining our football coach.

Reactions: Tulsa76
What about the guy at that Michigan school doing well? this conversation seems centered around this area of the country. That being said, talk about this when the season is over.

I don't think the P5s view Western Michigan in the same category as the AAC schools.

The openings being discussed are in the south. If there's an opening in Big10 country his name will certainly be at or near the top of that discussion.

To pay Montgomery $3,000,000/yr would take 3,000 donors to give $1,000/yr. We can't get 1,600 GHC members to make a commitment to TU! We can't get 20,000 to show up in a tiny 30,000 seat stadium. This situation has been going on forever and it's hard to imagine a miracle coming our way.
So, let's enjoy the successes when they come!

To pay Montgomery $3,000,000/yr would take 3,000 donors to give $1,000/yr. We can't get 1,600 GHC members to make a commitment to TU! We can't get 20,000 to show up in a tiny 30,000 seat stadium. This situation has been going on forever and it's hard to imagine a miracle coming our way.
So, let's enjoy the successes when they come!
The good news is that every game is on TV. The bad news is that every game is on TV. Small number of students and I would venture most alumni don't live around Tulsa. We should do better than 16,000-18,000 for home games though.

I see Monty going to a school like Arizona or ASU. He needs to go to a school with resources, commitment and one that has been not delivering. Still, a destination job like TX or LSU would be a reach at this stage of his career. Also, hard for me to believe that ND won't be looking for a coach.

What's the chance of Gundy leaving now?

Monty is going to be specific to region. One of the Texas schools in a good place (Texas, A&M, Baylor if they don't connect Monty to a Briles), LSU, Arkansas, either Mississippi SEC school, and possible the furthest he gets away from Texas is Mizzou. He has shown a fierce loyalty in his previous stints and I think we have 2 more yrs with him unless one of those specific schools come a calling. Now if Gumby leaves OkState then he might look at them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT