ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Monty on Refs

Don't dismiss that last part. Kids we are recruiting are hearing that...who wouldn't want to play for a coach you know has your back? At no point have I heard any of the TU coaches say anything (publicly) about Bru's penalty. NOT. ONE. WORD. Not only is this team playing winning football...they are building a football culture that players want to play in and their parents want them to play in.

Don't dismiss that last part. Kids we are recruiting are hearing that...who wouldn't want to play for a coach you know has your back? At no point have I heard any of the TU coaches say anything (publicly) about Bru's penalty. NOT. ONE. WORD. Not only is this team playing winning football...they are building a football culture that players want to play in and their parents want them to play in.
Classy

Bump!
THIS is the most refreshing "thing" I've seen out of the Tulsa admin in a long time. Took guts on Coach's part. That's leadership.

This team have so much potential its scary. They need to be more efficient with the ball

This team have so much potential its scary. They need to be more efficient with the ball
???

What did they have one punt and one (BS) turnover at Navy? I'd call that pretty efficient. As much as our defense has improved, we're still not physical enough on D to take care to man handle a power run team like Navy. We've finally got some finesse and some physicality on the defense but we could certainly use some more.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Coach Monty said something about how it was either a fumble or a stop on downs. And he wanted was a shot, even if it meant tacking on Bru's 15 yards

More efficient? We scored on 7 of 9 possessions. 1 questionable turnover (INT after the guy interfered with the WR) and 1 punt on the day. 1. When you score on nearly 80% of your drives on the day, that is pretty damn efficient offense. Now if you want to talk about red zone offense or being able to run it between the tackles on 1st and goal inside the 5 and not using more than 2 plays, then that is something to discuss. We had 1 possession that was :16 seconds, and 2 other scoring drives just over a minute.

BTW, I agree that this team has a very high ceiling. Too bad most people around the country haven't seen us play.

I'm starting to worry that Monty is focusing too much on the refs and not enough on UCF. It's never easy to win there and UCF is decent this year.

Nah, he's moved on since that press conference 2 days ago (where the video was from). Basically his time to discuss the past weekend results and preview the coming weekend.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Nah, he's moved on since that press conference 2 days ago (where the video was from). Basically his time to discuss the past weekend results and preview the coming weekend.
Agreed. Since the press conference you haven't seen much from the players either. Sort of like Monty said, "you have 1 day to gripe, then it's done. On to UCF"

More efficient? We scored on 7 of 9 possessions. 1 questionable turnover (INT after the guy interfered with the WR) and 1 punt on the day. 1. When you score on nearly 80% of your drives on the day, that is pretty damn efficient offense. Now if you want to talk about red zone offense or being able to run it between the tackles on 1st and goal inside the 5 and not using more than 2 plays, then that is something to discuss. We had 1 possession that was :16 seconds, and 2 other scoring drives just over a minute.

BTW, I agree that this team has a very high ceiling. Too bad most people around the country haven't seen us play.
Yes, I mean more efficient. Our offense is so talented that we should score on each possession. The reason I say this because during some games they relax or get comfortable and don't put teams away. They will have two possession in a row where they don't score and the defense couldn't stop them.

Yes, I mean more efficient. Our offense is so talented that we should score on each possession. The reason I say this because during some games they relax or get comfortable and don't put teams away. They will have two possession in a row where they don't score and the defense couldn't stop them.
We'll just have to disagree. Earlier in the year I could understand that...but I also think that a lot of that has to do with Monty's play calling. No longer when we go fast can you assume we are running the ball on down 1 and down 2 like last year. We've seen more 1st down passes, more 2nd down passes, and added Johnson as a reliable 4th receiving option which has opened a lot of things up for Lucas and Atkinson. There was no such stretch in the game vs Navy and a small one vs ECU in which we still put up 24 points in the 1st half. Remember, defenses are out there trying too and throwing in new looks or packages that no one caught on film. One thing we do have is maybe the best set of coaches I have ever seen at TU in terms of in game adjustments.

........ too bad the City of Tulsa hasn't seen them play.

TX

Reactions: lawpoke87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT