ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Monty : "FILL THE STADIUM NEXT SATURDAY NIGHT!"

They can't even manage sending out emails in time for events - I'm convinced they have no clue with respect to promotion of said events. Gragg needs to get a clue or be gone.

When did you look at the stands. Maybe around halftime it was barely over a third. I looked when it first started and it was at least 15k.

Reactions: Tulsafanzz
A lot of fans left at halftime. Not us.

When I lived in Tulsa, there really wasn't a helluva lot to do. Tulsa football is exciting. I'd drag my buddy who was a diehard OU fan to a few games with me whenever I'd come up to visit and he always said it was a lot of fun and truly unfortunate that more people didn't attend TU games. But the clown would only go if I showed up and invited him, and he chose to drive to OKC 4 times a year to watch an OU game, then drive back. So what the hell...? The guy didn't even graduate from there, he went to stoolwater instead! That's kind of the attitude it seems. People in Tulsa think highly of the university and shake their heads and suck their teeth that more people don't attend games as they head out to do something else instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: tutailgator
Perhaps the psychology department should be helping with this problem instead of the marketing folks.

So I'm remembering that several years ago the A.D. at Wichita State, would go through the stands at basketball games and shake hands of everyone he could talk to. Talk about good marketing and building loyalty.
Tubby Smith did this as coach probably the reason he is the most respected coach we have had. He did it before the games started

Hell, with the number of fans we have at some games Monty can greet each fan personally.

Attendance has always been a problem. We have one more home game. Hopefully, that game will be for the division title and a chance to play in the conference championship. It's the day after Thanksgiving, so many people will have relatives in town looking for something to do. Gragg and Monty need to get on the local sports broadcasts and implore the city to come to the game. It sucks to have to beg, but this team deserves a full house.

Attendance has always been a problem. We have one more home game. Hopefully, that game will be for the division title and a chance to play in the conference championship. It's the day after Thanksgiving, so many people will have relatives in town looking for something to do. Gragg and Monty need to get on the local sports broadcasts and implore the city to come to the game. It sucks to have to beg, but this team deserves a full house.
Start marketing now. You have 2.5 weeks. Buy ads at the local state playoff football games and announced over the loudspeakers, put it in the programs, etc. Offer a $5 student ticket discount to local HS students w/ ID. Admissions should work on this to get prospective students to a game as well. For that, offer ORU students a $5 ticket with an ORU ID that week...just something to get more people in the stands.

It's a lot to ask (schedule wise) of the coaches and players, but media and can participation will make a huge difference. The more involved the team is around the community the more buzz they generate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT