ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Monty : "FILL THE STADIUM NEXT SATURDAY NIGHT!"

Tulsafanzz

I.T.S. Head Coach
Gold Member
Apr 22, 2006
Coach Monty's Memphis post game comments included a request to "Fill the stadium, top to bottom next Saturday night!"

I'm glad he's calling out Tulsa fans to show up. The team is doing their job, they deserve a good, loud home crowd.

Coach Monty's Memphis post game comments included a request to "Fill the stadium, top to bottom next Saturday night!"

I'm glad he's calling out Tulsa fans to show up. The team is doing their job, they deserve a good, loud home crowd.
I think we will have a huge crowd next week.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
25k would be beautiful. Our stadium starts to look respectable when we have over 23k. I was going to wait until Cincinnati to come up, but I wanna contribute to show the team they've earned my patronage!
I'm also thinking about coming up next weekend from Dallas as well to show support for the wins and effort the last few games.

Well if we hire a new coach next year you gonna trek up? Hell no, that's because you quit for a reason. Pay and retain our staff!!! Then benchwarmers fans will make the effort to get to the stadium on game days. 1978 I'm not calling you out I know you are out of state. I'm obviously using this conversation as an example, to make a point. Marketing dept. this is the gold you seek. We have to retain our coaches, obviously within reason.

Yeah, but look at what the P5s are paying. Harbaugh and Saban are at $9M, Stoops is $5M+, Gus and some other P5s are making $3M+. I'm not sure TU could even think about $2M+ for Monty or even adding $500k to the assistant pool right now. We would need a group like the 400 who were lined up to try and keep Self to get us anywhere near those numbers. Of course with the way we are playing that might be doable. Did Charlie Strong save his job after taking down Baylor? The trickle down effect is almost the scarier of entities. Right now LSU is the biggest fish, Notre Dame is a very likely big fish, and possibly Texas.

Well if we hire a new coach next year you gonna trek up? Hell no, that's because you quit for a reason. Pay and retain our staff!!! Then benchwarmers fans will make the effort to get to the stadium on game days. 1978 I'm not calling you out I know you are out of state. I'm obviously using this conversation as an example, to make a point. Marketing dept. this is the gold you seek. We have to retain our coaches, obviously within reason.

It would be great to get alumni to the games, but we really need to be marketing to the general public and cultivate new fans for this great team (and future teams).

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Bumping this to remind everyone that there are still plenty of seats available.

Yeah, but look at what the P5s are paying. Harbaugh and Saban are at $9M, Stoops is $5M+, Gus and some other P5s are making $3M+. I'm not sure TU could even think about $2M+ for Monty or even adding $500k to the assistant pool right now. We would need a group like the 400 who were lined up to try and keep Self to get us anywhere near those numbers. Of course with the way we are playing that might be doable. Did Charlie Strong save his job after taking down Baylor? The trickle down effect is almost the scarier of entities. Right now LSU is the biggest fish, Notre Dame is a very likely big fish, and possibly Texas.

Would love to know what Texas is going to do with Strong. Houston's head coach doesn't appear to be skipping on water anymore, and Les Miles is purportedly putting together an offensive and defensive coordinator right now. I don't think Texas will keep him because he was a stop-gap solution to begin with, and they had no intention of building a dynasty around him like they did with Mac and Royal. We're in good shape right now because we're cloaked in optimism and the product on the field is respectable. Our only fear seems to be losing our coach, which ain't too bad a problem to have. He's gonna have his work cut out for himself next year if he sticks around. We don't have a starting QB

We're 6-2. Have an extremely exciting product. Could be a very special season. Yet I haven't seen one thing on Facebook advertising our product, not sure about Twitter. There are so many avenues nowadays to get people's attention and our marketing department is failing miserably. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. We should be flooding social media.

Where's a hype video for ECU??? Programs around the nation have hype videos each week they share on Facebook and Twitter. Do average Tulsans even know our record and who we're playing this week?

Haven't heard one commercial on the radio this week about the upcoming game. No promotions. Nothing.

2 remaining home games. That's it. OU played tonight, OSU plays in the afternoon Saturday, even the Thunder play early Saturday at 5. We play during prime time at 7pm on what will be a beautiful night.

Everything is set up for a near sellout crowd, yet our marketing department has done very little, if anything, to promote the game. Gragg said on the radio a couple weeks ago that the marking department is doing a great job, just doesn't have the resources. Lame excuse in my opinion when there is so much a single person can do on social media.

It's amazing how many areas TU fails in attracting fans. Little things like only being able to pay cash for tickets on the West side matter. Have to walk to the Reynolds Center if you want to get tickets with a card. It's 2016, and we have a ticket booth where most fans walk up to, that only accepts cash??? That is incredibly sad. Just a small part of a very big problem.

We're 6-2. Have an extremely exciting product. Could be a very special season. Yet I haven't seen one thing on Facebook advertising our product, not sure about Twitter. There are so many avenues nowadays to get people's attention and our marketing department is failing miserably. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. We should be flooding social media.

Where's a hype video for ECU??? Programs around the nation have hype videos each week they share on Facebook and Twitter. Do average Tulsans even know our record and who we're playing this week?

Haven't heard one commercial on the radio this week about the upcoming game. No promotions. Nothing.

2 remaining home games. That's it. OU played tonight, OSU plays in the afternoon Saturday, even the Thunder play early Saturday at 5. We play during prime time at 7pm on what will be a beautiful night.

Everything is set up for a near sellout crowd, yet our marketing department has done very little, if anything, to promote the game. Gragg said on the radio a couple weeks ago that the marking department is doing a great job, just doesn't have the resources. Lame excuse in my opinion when there is so much a single person can do on social media.

It's amazing how many areas TU fails in attracting fans. Little things like only being able to pay cash for tickets on the West side matter. Have to walk to the Reynolds Center if you want to get tickets with a card. It's 2016, and we have a ticket booth where most fans walk up to, that only accepts cash??? That is incredibly sad. Just a small part of a very big problem.
Since Kragthorpe Tulsa has had some outstanding teams and coaches, you can't say the same about their fan marketing and promotion . In two years the coaches have done a brilliant job of putting TU back on track and the recruiting class looks great.
However, the administration remains reluctant to pull the trigger with paying their employees (coaches) a deserving salary equal to their results. Pay them what they are worth.
On a side note, I went to buy an extra football ticket and took a quick look inside Reynolds arena and the girls volleyball team was playing Temple. There wasn't 20 people watching, Title Nine has put a financial burden on all college purse strings, that's why football and basketball need to generate more money to carry the other non-revenue sports and to make money you have to spend money.

THIS. Part of marketing is putting the info where people are... where are people? ONLINE. Heck, SA should do a huge push on SNAPCHAT to get students to the games. 500 students is pretty woeful with 4000 students around (about 2800 living on campus not including fraternity and sorority houses). Why they can't pay for some targeted ads on Twitter, Facebook, and in-app games (all the rage right now) is beyond me. The traditional newspaper ad and highway billboards are wastes of money, because no one is looking at them anymore. People are reading the newspaper online but the print ads don't show up there. Some of those are easy deals too.

Reactions: Air_Raid918
THIS. Part of marketing is putting the info where people are... where are people? ONLINE. Heck, SA should do a huge push on SNAPCHAT to get students to the games. 500 students is pretty woeful with 4000 students around (about 2800 living on campus not including fraternity and sorority houses). Why they can't pay for some targeted ads on Twitter, Facebook, and in-app games (all the rage right now) is beyond me. The traditional newspaper ad and highway billboards are wastes of money, because no one is looking at them anymore. People are reading the newspaper online but the print ads don't show up there. Some of those are easy deals too.
Where are you getting 500 students from? Try double that.

Y'all really don't trust Dr. Gragg on the lack of budget? He's out here putting the University on blast for not investing in the department and you're siding with academics. Athletics has trade deals for all their print & air advertising including newspaper, billboards, radio, tv. They don't spend any money on those. That's how poor the budget is.

From the looks of the ticket map, the stadium definitely won't be full tomorrow night.

Where are you getting 500 students from? Try double that.

Y'all really don't trust Dr. Gragg on the lack of budget? He's out here putting the University on blast for not investing in the department and you're siding with academics. Athletics has trade deals for all their print & air advertising including newspaper, billboards, radio, tv. They don't spend any money on those. That's how poor the budget is.

Not saying there is or there isn't a "lack of budget", but there are plenty of things one can do on social media (free) to market our team, and they're failing at doing so.

The athletic marketing department should work with Collins School of Business to have 3 unpaid internships per semester with credit hours to participants. Let the marketing majors come up with new ideas and challenge them to be thinking creatively using social media or other avenues for all sports to increase attendance with a limited budget. Many entrepreneurs start businesses on a shoe string budget and become very creative in generating effective marketing programs. This will be real world experience for the interns.

The athletic marketing department should work with Collins School of Business to have 3 unpaid internships per semester with credit hours to participants. Let the marketing majors come up with new ideas and challenge them to be thinking creatively using social media or other avenues for all sports to increase attendance with a limited budget. Many entrepreneurs start businesses on a shoe string budget and become very creative in generating effective marketing programs. This will be real world experience for the interns.

Not a bad idea. Graduating with an MBA from that school left me standing with a degree in one hand and 60k debt in another with zero job prospects. Aside from the student investment fund, there's no formal hands-on experience to be attained from our business school. Wouldn't mind seeing what a few overzealous students could do when it's incentivized as a case study for their marketing major.

There was back in the 90's but they fired Tim Peterson for teaching practical application over theory.

So I'm remembering that several years ago the A.D. at Wichita State, would go through the stands at basketball games and shake hands of everyone he could talk to. Talk about good marketing and building loyalty.

I'll look for this guy.

10103064.jpeg.ashx

I think they already do that to some degree.

Game Day, No game threads today only Fan Threads and lets all go and enjoy the game. I we see 6 pages of game threads then way to many stayed home in the easy chair so they can set there and grip about our attendance. No one has to agree just a stupid old mans thoughts. Enjoy the game and GO CANE.

Game Day, No game threads today only Fan Threads and lets all go and enjoy the game. I we see 6 pages of game threads then way to many stayed home in the easy chair so they can set there and grip about our attendance. No one has to agree just a stupid old mans thoughts. Enjoy the game and GO CANE.

I agree Glasscain, come out & enjoy a beautiful evening of TU football! There's nothing better than being there in person!

However, as a getting old guy (in my 50s), I do need to throw in one point. Some fans make comments on their I-phones in the stands. I've done this a few times myself. I may also read some comments while I'm in the stands to get a TV perspective of a questionable play or call.

But I totally agree, don't gripe about empty seats in the stadium if your backside isn't occupying one of them!

The attendance Saturday night was absolutely pathetic. 17,000?

Gragg, marketing department, and ticket sales need to take responsibility. They have absolutely no creativity in getting fans to the game.

Marketing Department:

Stephen Pugh - Assistant AD for Marketing. (stephen-pugh@utulsa.edu)

Morgan James - Marketing Assistant. (morgan-james@utulsa.edu)

Sam Lazarus - Digital Media Assistant. (sam-lazarus@utulsa.edu)

Kayla Koch - Graphic Design Assistant. (kayla-koch@utulsa.edu)

Ticket Sales:

Mike Pence - IMG/Learfield Director of Ticket Sales. (mike-pence@utulsa.edu)

Kaleb Trowbridge - IMG/Learfield Ticketing Sales Associate. (kaleb-trowbridge@utulsa.edu)

Maybe I care too much. I'm sick and tired of this. I'll be sending an email to them with my ideas, and concerns. You think it's depressing for fans to see so many empty seats? Think about the players and coaches.

The attendance Saturday night was absolutely pathetic. 17,000?

Gragg, marketing department, and ticket sales need to take responsibility. They have absolutely no creativity in getting fans to the game.

Mike Pence - IMG/Learfield Director of Ticket Sales. (mike-pence@utulsa.edu)

I sent my email today. Mike Pence came back undelivable. I also sent copied Gragg and Clancy using the same format name-name@utulsa.edu and they bounced back as well. Anyone know their email address?

Maybe the University could give extra credit to each student that attends a game, and bonus time off for staff.

My son suggested giving away an I-pad to a TU student who attends the game. The drawing would happen midway through the 4th quarter.

My son suggested giving away an I-pad to a TU student who attends the game. The drawing would happen midway through the 4th quarter.

At homecoming they were giving away tickets to every big show at the BOK Center during the 4th quarter to students.

They've been giving away probably $1000+ in prizes at bball games since Manning at least.

Students get an ungodly amount of bribes. :-/

Reactions: TU_BLA
At homecoming they were giving away tickets to every big show at the BOK Center during the 4th quarter to students.

They've been giving away probably $1000+ in prizes at bball games since Manning at least.

Students get an ungodly amount of bribes. :-/
I think the no re entry thing might have hurt some attendance (both student and general) there's no reason for it and it makes people that might have slipped out at half time to grab a snack from their dorm stay in the stadium. Seems like a concessions ploy to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT