ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati game thread

Monty made the right call Braxton made the throw hall didn’t make the catch a fg doesn’t do any good there but cover for me the way we couldn’t run the ball or pass protect there wasn’t any way we If stopped cincy with less then 2 minutes to go we were gonna drive 3 quarters of the field for a td with no timeouts as much as I dislike Montgomery I’m not angered by that decision

The bigger decision to me was why he didn’t run the fourth down play on third down? It was a well designed play that would have worked for a TD or caused UC to respect his run pass option ability on fourth down. That widens the field if you think you have to defend the width and all the way to the back of the EZ.
Or maybe even on 2nd down. Gotta attempt that early, to make them respect it on the following downs.

The bigger decision to me was why he didn’t run the fourth down play on third down? It was a well designed play that would have worked for a TD or caused UC to respect his run pass option ability on fourth down. That widens the field if you think you have to defend the width and all the way to the back of the EZ.
Except wait a minute, wasn't that one of the set of downs where he played Braxton 1st down, Brin 2nd down, Braxton 3rd down, etc. So he shouldn't have put Brin in, and tried that on 2nd down. So double suck it to monty, on 2nd down.

Monty made the right call Braxton made the throw hall didn’t make the catch a fg doesn’t do any good there but cover for me the way we couldn’t run the ball or pass protect there wasn’t any way we If stopped cincy with less then 2 minutes to go we were gonna drive 3 quarters of the field for a td with no timeouts as much as I dislike Montgomery I’m not angered by that decision
No way. 2 score game. Need 2 scores. 1 was there for the taking and he didn't take it.

Good point and, the play call was right and almost worked but, I still say take the easy points and motivate the team with a chance to tie or win.
Yes, you are still in the game there and the defense was playing well. Take the 3 points. Who knows, maybe you get another turnover. Take your points and live to fight another play.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Yes, you are still in the game there and the defense was playing well. Take the 3 points. Who knows, maybe you get another turnover. Take your points and live to fight another play.

But isn’t it about giving yourself the best chance to accomplish both things rather than giving yourself the best chance to accomplish at least 1 thing?

But isn’t it about giving yourself the best chance to accomplish both things rather than giving yourself the best chance to accomplish at least 1 thing?
Yes both must happen. But I believe it was the wrong call. I was yelling it before the play so it is not piling on.

Reactions: URedskin54
If we were actually moving the ball effectively, even if we were not getting TD’s, then I would have said take the 3 points and wait for a defensive stop. We were stagnant at best today. So going for it was the best call. Where things went wrong is when Braxton didn’t come out as THE quarterback in the second half. We needed a mobile quarterback and with the injury to Brin, he wasn’t it.

Good point and, the play call was right and almost worked but, I still say take the easy points and motivate the team with a chance to tie or win.
So we had a weird day on offense - we had something like 165 yards on 7 plays and 120 yards on the other 67 plays. We basically had no offense except big plays. I'm not sure that our chance of scoring from the 4 is much better than our chance of scoring from the 40 today. I'd take the 3 and let Brin air it out as much as he could if we got the ball back. We pretty much needed a good break to score from the 4 or 40.

All the stupid runs to drain the clock were lobotomy-inducing, though.

So we had a weird day on offense - we had something like 165 yards on 7 plays and 120 yards on the other 67 plays. We basically had no offense except big plays. I'm not sure that our chance of scoring from the 4 is much better than our chance of scoring from the 40 today. I'd take the 3 and let Brin air it out as much as he could if we got the ball back. We pretty much needed a good break to score from the 4 or 40.

All the stupid runs to drain the clock were lobotomy-inducing, though.
I actually believe our offense has a better chance of scoring a TD from 10-30 yards out than from 1-5 yard line.

I actually believe our offense has a better chance of scoring a TD from 10-30 yards out than from 1-5 yard line.
Seems like ideally you throw every down and try to get into the end zone fast and if it doesn't work, kick the field goal quickly with still almost 6 minutes on the clock and down one score, then come back with the hurry up and hope something breaks free in the last minute chaos. But instead Monty runs and runs and runs, like it's a drive early in the 2nd quarter, eats up the clock so by the time we get to the 1, we're desperate.

The only problem with that plan is the 2 things you can't do is throw an int or get a sack, and we had a lot of trouble avoiding both today.

Seems like ideally you throw every down and try to get into the end zone fast and if it doesn't work, kick the field goal quickly with still almost 6 minutes on the clock and down one score, then come back with the hurry up and hope something breaks free in the last minute chaos. But instead Monty runs and runs and runs, like it's a drive early in the 2nd quarter, eats up the clock so by the time we get to the 1, we're desperate.

The only problem with that plan is the 2 things you can't do is throw an int or get a sack, and we had a lot of trouble avoiding both today.
11 sacks.

Brin wasn't ready to be in there, and our O-line was porous. The game felt more out of hand than the score indicated. This team can't be spotting freebie touchdowns to opponents... We're not good enough to overcome them unfortunately.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Yeah. 10 from Cincy was still on the field for some reason and it kicked off between a bunch of them. A few of our guys literally walked over and tried to follow them into the locker room. Montyball.
They changed the rule about players who are DQ'd for targeting a couple years ago. They can stay on the sideline and not have to leave the field.

Brin wasn't ready to be in there, and our O-line was porous. The game felt more out of hand than the score indicated. This team can't be spotting freebie touchdowns to opponents... We're not good enough to overcome them unfortunately.
This

Reactions: TU 1978
At 5:45 the crowd looked pitiful. At 6:15 it had filled in nicely. I'm guessing around 20k.

Reactions: drboobay
A lot of people have forgotten our kickers difficulties with distance at WU.... Brin throws a good deep ball, i still would have saved the TO, taken the sure 3, and asked my D to get me one more stop...

Reactions: drboobay
Except it’s not just one more stop. Because even in your hypothetical where we drive the length of the field to score, the game is now… tied.

Ben Baldwin’s model says 10% chance Tulsa wins if we go for it, 4% chance Tulsa wins if we kick the FG. It’s not even close.

Last edited:
Except it’s not just one more stop. Because even in your hypothetical where we drive the length of the field to score, the game is now… tied.
Are you suggesting that Monty was playing for 2 TDs to win in regulation? I don't see any reason to think he called that drive with any game-related goal at all, but if that was his goal, then it makes the drive after the INT even dumber. If you're playing to get 2 TDs, then you have to give yourself enough time for a stop and a full drive, you need to finish the current drive even faster. How in the hell do you call 5 runs if that's your goal? The 5 runs were stupid already, but they're off the chart if that's what he was trying. He should have played to get any points as quick as possible to save as much time as possible for a last drive. 3 passes and kick the FG or TD, get within 1 score as quickly as you can, get a stop and have 2 minutes for a final drive. The 5 runs were ridiculous.

No, I’m saying a TD leaves that possibility open. That’s why it’s so massively +EV. Quibble with the playcalling and time management to your heart’s desire. I’m not defending that part. But the math for the 4th down decision is obvious.

Imagine a universe where the next to last drive takes 1:30 instead of 4:11(!!!) and we kick the FG. 3 quick passes, kick the FG, CU's drive stays the same, we get the ball back at our 30 with 3:48 left and needing a TD. Best case, if we got the TD on the failed pass, we'd get the ball back at our 30 with 58 second left and needing to go at least 50 yards with a D that had 11 sacks already knowing we have no choice but to throw.

No, I’m saying a TD leaves that possibility open. That’s why it’s so massively +EV. Quibble with the playcalling and time management to your heart’s desire. I’m not defending that part. But the math for the 4th down decision is obvious.
yeah, I'm saying something different, we should never have gotten into that 4th down situation. Monty had already lost the game with the calls before that. We created a desperate situation that should never have existed.

Maybe it's my soccer ref eyes, but I swear Epps had his jersey grabbed on the INT.
Definite jersey grab and missed call on the Int. Not sure how they could have missed that one. May or may not have made a difference in the game.

The tailgate needs to end earlier...
Don't blame me, it was Hank Kendall & his annual "rate the best punch" contest. I detected a hint of alcohol in each of the 7 or 8 contestants & don't remember which one I voted for. A couple of Spotted Cows to wash down my brauts (yes, I suck from the teat of Wisconsin's Spotted Cow) and I felt pretty good.

BTW, official attendance was 21,111.

Bahaha that’s right….blame Kendall! But you did your civic duty by voting in the punch contest.

It was great to meet you… I’ll bring the rest of your beer to the next tg, so I’m expecting you to be there.

They changed the rule about players who are DQ'd for targeting a couple years ago. They can stay on the sideline and not have to leave the field.
Ya then when a Cincinnati coach tries to pull him back , he pushed his coach

• Wow
Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Cincy #90 was abusing the left tackle like a step child the whole game...
completely out matched
100% true. #90 from Cincinnati reminded me a ton of Jaxon Player. Shorter, wide, and extremely quick feet. He got the pads low and under the tackle's outside arm/shoulder and it was over. And UC's bull rush just absolutely collapsed the pocket on almost every play.

Yeah. 10 from Cincy was still on the field for some reason
In an earlier push & shove in the 2nd Q, this thug pushed a ref, hard, & should have been tossed at that time. The ref didn't even throw a flag which would have saved Keylon Stokes a major headache on that targeting call later by the same guy. G$ also picked up on this same thing.

Last edited:
#10 was apparently grabbing and twisting Hall's balls at the bottom of piles. Rumor is they also were spitting on players at the bottom of piles. I for one will not miss that trash anymore when they leave. Trash program and trash individuals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT