ADVERTISEMENT

Chad President

Dum...da dum dum......

Might get interesting there....however, the defensive recruits are paramount this year. Thats where we need to totally focus on. Besides of course speed at the skill positions.

I'm not convinced the kid doesn't end up playing receiver in college.

Smoak has him on the show at 3:15 today.

Hefley is a different type QB as President. President much, much better than Ben Hicks.

According to reports coach Monty had a long talk with Hefley and he is still comming to Tulsa.

Originally posted by old.guy:
Wait, I thought George W. Bush was the "Chad President."
I laughed so hard I spilled the ice water on my desk all over my pants...

Are there any of our current crop of quarterbacks who could become receivers? Perhaps in the mode of Drew Pearson when he was at Tulsa.

I'd be willing to be Rubley could be a WR. Decent size and he's got decent speed. Question is would he be willing to move? Remember BB brought in Lowe and promised him a shot at being a QB yet we all know the ultimate plan was to try and move him to FS.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Similar to Briles and President, he was told he would first get a shot a QB but Briles kept recruiting the QB position believing he was a wide receiver at the next level.

Originally posted by aTUfan:
Hope his decommitment was a personal decision

and not due to so called tampering by Mongomery
Did you listen to his radio interview today? Kid was blindsided by the Stidham commitment. Truly.

That was a really unfair comment.
This post was edited on 12/23 8:18 PM by TUBballJunkie

Originally posted by I.I.:

Hefley is a different type QB as President. President much, much better than Ben Hicks.
Is this Smoak guy always this good? Impressed with the no nonsense, challenging questions. Great interview.

"Hope his decision was personal?" "Hope there wasn't tampering?"

Good grief! NO ONE makes these kids decide to go anywhere they don't want to. It's foolishly naive to think otherwise. Come down off the high horse. Monty works for TULSA now, not Baylor!

I expect a commitment in the next few days. He'll be here for spring ball.

If Montgomery picks up President, then that makes it easier to pick up other higher ranked recruits also. As in WR's or TE's especially.

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:

Is this Smoak guy always this good? Impressed with the no nonsense, challenging questions. Great interview.
Smoak is one of the best interviewers I have ever heard. His interviews are like Bruce's Howard's play by play.

If he is here for spring ball, there's a good chance he is "the man" in 2015 since he already runs an offense he's familiar with at Temple. He is bigger, faster and throws a better deep ball than anyone we saw last year - I looked at Max Prep highlights and thats what it looks like.

You know there will be a major increase of offensive talent stockpiled quickly. Bigger question is on defense. And the bigger need from what we've witnessed. Hope the new staff will make our D at least competitive.

Originally posted by TUBballJunkie:

Agreed.

sounds like our new dc is coaching in a bowl game so should be a pretty salty coach. starting to get really pumped about the prospects of playing the gooners next year this is going to get fun.

Who is the new DC?
On Smoak, he was on the Buzz last week with Pop and Plank to talk about Montgomery. The guy is money and knows his stuff.

Rabid,

You're asking a lot of a kid who competed less than ten passes a game and needs a lot or work on his mechanics to start as a true freshman. Does being Monty's guy give him an edge...absolutely. However, he directed a run first offense and is still raw when it comes to a Baylor type passing attack. Most likely he will shirt unless we have injuries IMO. He could always surprise and come in here in spring ball and look great and take the job. Just a lot to expect from a kid who didn't throw it much in high school.

Temple ran very close to Baylor's offense. They utilized the run more but it is very similar 3 WRs, 1 RB and 1 TE/Hback as the basic set. Sterlin Gilbert was the OC there 3-4 years ago under Spradlin. Spradlin coached with Montgomery on Briles staff at UH. The plays are more simple in terms of formations and sets but they still spread you out and try to go fast.

Smoak is great. Just go listen to the other podcasts on 1660. He gets national guests as well.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
Rabid,

You're asking a lot of a kid who competed less than ten passes a game and needs a lot or work on his mechanics to start as a true freshman. He could always surprise and come in here in spring ball and look great and take the job. Just a lot to expect from a kid who didn't throw it much in high school.
Well here are the numbers:

RG iii Senior year 1356 yards passing 16 TD and 7 int
President Senior year 2391 yards passing 23 TD and 10 int

The good news is that the question of whether President starts as a true freshman looks to play out at Tulsa. I'm not ready to dismiss Dane as our starter for any true frosh. Maybe I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the last 4* duel threat QB which came to TU after decommitting from a BCS school because that school received a commitment from a higher rated player. Hoping he's the next RG3 instead of the next Beaver or Rhomar. The kid sure looks electric with the ball in his hands.

I'll be ecstatic for President to come to Tulsa if he ends up here but I would be a bit surprised if he or Hefley beat out Evans as True Freshmen. Just my opinion, but I don't think most realize how much of a transition there is from HS to College and I think many are convinced Evans is a terrible QB (which is definitely is not).

Rabid,

You're asking a lot of a kid who competed less than ten passes a game and needs a lot or work on his mechanics to start as a true freshman. Does being Monty's guy give him an edge...absolutely. However, he directed a run first offense and is still raw when it comes to a Baylor type passing attack. Most likely he will shirt unless we have injuries IMO. He could always surprise and come in here in spring ball and look great and take the job. Just a lot to expect from a kid who didn't throw it much in high school.
Of course all this is just conjecture, but I think PM has looked at the QBs that played last year and doesn't believe he has a QB on campus that can run his high octane offense. Unless there is a mindset switch and a QB can be found that runs the ball aggressively as a part of the offense, PM may decide to build on a younger kid he can trust to run his system completely. BB just wanted a manager who wouldn't make mistakes, but I think PM wants a player at QB that will utilize every phase of the game to score quickly and often.

It was alarming to see the number of times last year where the QB could have kept the ball and the defense was just giving us the QB keeper, but for some unknown reason our QB's just would not ride that ball, read the Def End and when the End closed, keep it. And our ultimate solution was to put a freshman WR at QB.

In looking at Presidents' video, he seems comfortable with running the ball. Thats what we've missed IMO.

I also don't see a QB on campus that throws the long ball well. Throwing the ball deep (+40 yards) to an open receiver who is having to wait for the ball to get there isn't a part of the PM offense imo. The things we missed last year and before is an accurate deep passing game and a QB who could run it effectively.

If President can be here in spring ball, I think he has a chance. If the staff was turned over and not retained, I think the players will all start off spring ball with an "interview" process as well - including the QB spot.
This post was edited on 12/24 9:47 AM by rabidTU

The good news is that the question of whether President starts as a true freshman looks to play out at Tulsa. I'm not ready to dismiss Dane as our starter for any true frosh. Maybe I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the last 4* duel threat QB which came to TU after decommitting from a BCS school because that school received a commitment from a higher rated player. Hoping he's the next RG3 instead of the next Beaver or Rhomar. The kid sure looks electric with the ball in his hands.
OU, Alabama, USC, Florida and many others sign four star QB's every year. QB's not working out at Tulsa is not a unique situation. It happens all over the country every year. Kind of like pouring salt on a wound of a good situation but nothing new here.

GO TU!!!

That was exactly my point. QB is the hardest position to project coming out of high school. I'm not ready to cast Dane aside for a kid who hasn't taken a single college snap. Look no further than OU and OSU to see 4* QBs who couldn't make the adjustment. Great to be excited but I would tap the breaks before we sit Dane on the bench. Dane with some good coaching and a QB friendly system could be very good IMO.

I predict Dane will be our opening day starting QB and will have a great year. Tag this thread and let's see whose right.

This post was edited on 12/24 11:25 AM by lawpoke87

We should know by the end of spring practice. Everybody will be new to the system and start even. At this point we still need Chad to enroll to make it official.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT