ADVERTISEMENT

Can Tulsa ever be successful (more wins than losses) in D1?

*** (I really like this one from chito, especially in contrast to the message I'm replying to that the problem "it's much simpler - coach"):

Firing Monty with Gragg still here and no plan to upgrade, and having to commit to a new guy for 4 years has a lot of “magic wand***” steps. It sounds good on a message board when you’ve never had to make real decisions or run real operations but it’s laughably naive for those of us who actually know how to build and run organizations.
Wow, that's ... something else... On my quote, you'll see that I said back then the same thing I'm saying now - the problem is the administration that picks the coaches and the lack of plans for athletics. My point then - we need a change in administration - is exactly the same as my point now ("And coach is picked by administration (and given long contracts by admin). If you get competent people in the admin, we'll spend more time with good coaches"). If you would have been on this message board more than 3 days, you'd know that's a point I've made over and over. I didn't think then and don't think now that firing Monty will accomplish much if we have the same Gomer Pyles and Colonel Klinks in charge that we do now. The road to more success runs through the AD's office, the provost's office and the university president's office. The best schools will have bad football if they have moron administrators. We're not the best football school so we have less room for error, and combine that with genuine imbeciles in the key roles and it's a tough road.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Go back to the way it was in the early 90s? TU had 1 year at 10-2 and the next best was a 6-6 year and the rest were around 4-7 to 3-8 and the stadium was really empty most games. Those seasons are better than now and it was awesome having so many TU alumni in the NFL, but that wasn't a great era and people on this thread mentioned the Rader era as especially painful.

TU was great in the 50s and at times in the 60s and 70s and obviously good in the late 2000s to early 2010s when TU had lowered academic standards for athletes and created sports degrees for them. I don't see TU suddenly figuring out some new ground breaking way to get Tulsans to care about TU football again.

Did anyone on here remember the nearly empty stadiums TU had to play for, even when they were undefeated? Then if TU had an early loss (like OU in 2007 or ECU in 2010), fan attendance plummeted because obviously if you lose 62-21, you must suck and casual fans and most students don't care much any more (I don't agree, but I ran into that chain of thought a lot). Then if you look at all the most well-attended games in recent history and home games vs ranked opponents, they're almost all loses (OSU, OU, UH several times, Boise St, Memphis).

TU has proven to casual fans again and again they don't win the big games and even if they do and it's an away game (like @Notre Dame), the stadium will be empty the next week anyways.The AD and admin are probably befuddled by that. TU casual fans seem to only be interested in an undefeated team and one that wins a big game. Die hards support them no matter what but that's a very small group that hasn't grown at all (see this official Tulsa board with like 10 regular users).

I like that I'm supposedly a professor because I don't see any recovery for TU football. I'm a TU football fan and I'm tired of this pathetic product they've put out since Graham's recruits graduated (That 8-5 team that lost to 4 top 25 teams was the most talented in TU history, with excellent o-line depth but Blankenship couldn't even get 1 upset win and lost another they shouldn't have). I'll check back in 5 years after the next coach gets axed for going 2-10 five straight seasons to see how the fan base on here grows.

Say what you will about Dave Rader, he beat Texas A&M, Oklahoma, OSU, Arkansas and gave BYU and Miami a good run for their money. As a kid who moved here from Canada and knew nothing about the impact of football in the state of Oklahoma, I distinctly remember friends from middle school and high school talking about the big games Tulsa would win, being invited to games and their grandparents would be there cheering along, people used to care about TU football. I wouldn't care if we went 2-10 for 5 straight seasons if we beat Oklahoma, OSU or Arkansas for one of those wins every season, or actually beat a top 25 team again that wasn't the Rainbow Warriors.... Whipping rinky dink C-USA teams was academic. There's no appeal to watching Tulsa play Rice, Marshall, UTEP or even Tulane year-after-year. Nobody even showed up to the C-USA title game back in 2013 when we played UCF and they had that QB who went pro with Jacksonville. If the way a university increases its prestige is by recruiting Chinese and foreign students, to hell with that. I had to work on projects with those clowns getting my MBA at TU and they couldn't even speak English, they were a liability to have to work with.

Reactions: TULOYAL
Say what you will about Dave Rader, he beat Texas A&M, Oklahoma, OSU, Arkansas and gave BYU and Miami a good run for their money. As a kid who moved here from Canada and knew nothing about the impact of football in the state of Oklahoma, I distinctly remember friends from middle school and high school talking about the big games Tulsa would win, being invited to games and their grandparents would be there cheering along, people used to care about TU football. I wouldn't care if we went 2-10 for 5 straight seasons if we beat Oklahoma, OSU or Arkansas for one of those wins every season, or actually beat a top 25 team again that wasn't the Rainbow Warriors.... Whipping rinky dink C-USA teams was academic. There's no appeal to watching Tulsa play Rice, Marshall, UTEP or even Tulane year-after-year. Nobody even showed up to the C-USA title game back in 2013 when we played UCF and they had that QB who went pro with Jacksonville. If the way a university increases its prestige is by recruiting Chinese and foreign students, to hell with that. I had to work on projects with those clowns getting my MBA at TU and they couldn't even speak English, they were a liability to have to work with.

Coach Rader never beat Arkansas, but he did beat Missouri.

Shouldn’t Janet go back to working on her plan to ruin TU academically rather than posting on this board? Or has she gotten bored with doing that?

Wow, that's ... something else... On my quote, you'll see that I said back then the same thing I'm saying now - the problem is the administration that picks the coaches and the lack of plans for athletics. My point then - we need a change in administration - is exactly the same as my point now ("And coach is picked by administration (and given long contracts by admin). If you get competent people in the admin, we'll spend more time with good coaches"). If you would have been on this message board more than 3 days, you'd know that's a point I've made over and over. I didn't think then and don't think now that firing Monty will accomplish much if we have the same Gomer Pyles and Colonel Klinks in charge that we do now. The road to more success runs through the AD's office, the provost's office and the university president's office. The best schools will have bad football if they have moron administrators. We're not the best football school so we have less room for error, and combine that with genuine imbeciles in the key roles and it's a tough road.

I agree with you and that was my primary point. If they fire Monty, those same admin, who have a proven inability to run college athletics programs, will hire the next guy. It will almost certainly be another dud. Why buy out Monty, spend a lot on a search, then pay more for a new guy picked by the current admin? We will be in the same boat 4 years from now with maybe a bigger buyout.

If you see my post above I defended Rader. He had TU playing respectable most games, especially in the early 90s, and put 26 guys in the NFL. Monty is the first coach since then to actually compete relatively well with teams like OU/OSU.

I'd rather TU be 10-3 beating rinky dink C-USA teams, where TU could get a competitive edge, rather than 2-10 vs mid-major AAC teams. Sure a win vs OU/OSU would alleviate the sting of 2-10, but that's not happening either.

I'm a long time season ticket holder. I have never worked for TU. I like how when you are saying things posters on here don't like (including quotes from them to back it up), they say you must be an admin or professor. Sure, a professor who hates football would care enough about Rader, Graham, Monty to know all the facts I've mentioned and would advocate the upgrades I said we needed (like Indoor Practice Facility).

I guess TU has 2 feasible options: Keep the status quo and remain barely competitive, going 2-10 each year (with Monty or the new coach they pick), or increase spending massively to catch up with peers (likely requires new AD also, but also massive fan support).

And as fans, we have to be patient with it. Until TU has top notch facilities to compete with AAC schools, we have to accept having the 90th best team which will be near last in the AAC. TU is basically starting from scratch vs the monumental strides other programs have taken. It's going to take a long time to improve that and develop a football program where a coach can legitimately compete in the AAC year in and year out. I'd be thrilled if TU could do that but I doubt they will when they can't even afford retirement plans for staff and are making massive cuts.

Every now and then a troll comes along and pulls this type of nonsense.

Yes, a troll who has been a near-lifetime season ticket holder and realizes the investments Tulane, Houston, Memphis, SMU and UCF have put into their football programs. You can go look at every commitment TU has had over the last 4-8 years and see that almost none of them even had offers from any AAC schools except Tulsa. Several AAC programs are fighting to get land a couple ESPN 300 recruits while TU is fighting with UNM and Texas State to get some 2-star no legitimate program wants (if they even have a Div 1 offer). You think a new coach can come in and magically fix that sort of disparity? When TU can't even get guys with backup/class-filler offers from the other schools in its division. And you know if any of those schools offered a TU commit, they'd switch over in a heart beat.

Everyone on this board seems ok with that and seems ok with doing the Blankenship/Monty/New-Guy thing every 4-5 years from now on. And then once other programs are paying their guys, TU will keep getting guys with zero other Div 1 offers.

Yeah, TU hasn't beaten Arkansas since sometime in the 70s. He did beat all those other teams though.

9-3 in 1976 on all field goals. I was just an 8th grader listening on the radio back then.

Our kicker transferred to Arkansas the next year.

Yes, a troll who has been a near-lifetime season ticket holder and realizes the investments Tulane, Houston, Memphis, SMU and UCF have put into their football programs. You can go look at every commitment TU has had over the last 4-8 years and see that almost none of them even had offers from any AAC schools except Tulsa. Several AAC programs are fighting to get land a couple ESPN 300 recruits while TU is fighting with UNM and Texas State to get some 2-star no legitimate program wants (if they even have a Div 1 offer). You think a new coach can come in and magically fix that sort of disparity? When TU can't even get guys with backup/class-filler offers from the other schools in its division. And you know if any of those schools offered a TU commit, they'd switch over in a heart beat.

Everyone on this board seems ok with that and seems ok with doing the Blankenship/Monty/New-Guy thing every 4-5 years from now on. And then once other programs are paying their guys, TU will keep getting guys with zero other Div 1 offers.

So our players this year haven’t been good enough to win games, is that what you’re saying? So the coaching is fine, got it. Go away turd.

9-3 in 1976 on all field goals. I was just an 8th grader listening on the radio back then.

Our kicker transferred to Arkansas the next year.
I didn't know the story of our kicker transferring to ar-kansas the next year. That's funny, despite it not being funny to us at the time it happened.

I didn't know the story of our kicker transferring to ar-kansas the next year. That's funny, despite it not being funny to us at the time it happened.

Steve Cox was from Arkansas. He signed with TU because Arkansas had an All-American kicker named Steve Little. Cox transferred to Arkansas and sat out when Little was a senior.

It was basically a Texas sorority girl move. A girl who knows it will be difficult to get into the prestige sororities at UT-Austin will enroll at Texas Tech and get accepted into that sorority. Then after her freshman year, transfers to UT-Austin as a full member of the sorority.

Steve Cox was from Arkansas. He signed with TU because Arkansas had an All-American kicker named Steve Little. Cox transferred to Arkansas and sat out when Little was a senior.

It was basically a Texas sorority girl move. A girl who knows it will be difficult to get into the prestige sororities at UT-Austin will enroll at Texas Tech and get accepted into that sorority. Then after her freshman year, transfers to UT-Austin as a full member of the sorority.
Yeah I vaguely remember him. You gotta know I was 7 years old then, and didn't become a fan of TU athletics until 3 or 4 years later.

So our players this year haven’t been good enough to win games, is that what you’re saying? So the coaching is fine, got it. Go away turd.

No they haven't. Getting close to winning but losing is still losing, just like last year (~6 games decides by less than a TD). TU is 2-6 and on schedule to finish around 3-9 or 2-10 again. Even if the kicker makes those, TU is 4-4 which still isn't mind-blowing, and not enough to say TU is very competitive in the AAC without a few more wins this season.

Solid coaching is what kept TU in the UM and SMU games (being up 30-9 before the team collapsed). Missed kicks are what lost them. The coach recruits kickers but also all the other players that kept TU in the game. You can't give "the players" credit for staying in the game and knock Monty for losing. That makes no sense. Both are the reasons for the loss and also for being in it, but Monty is doing the best with the kind of athletes we're going to get. Impressive he can line up a bunch of players who might be at an FCS school otherwise and compete with teams full of 3 and some 4 star players.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Is this really a thing?

No they haven't. Getting close to winning but losing is still losing, just like last year (~6 games decides by less than a TD). TU is 2-6 and on schedule to finish around 3-9 or 2-10 again. Even if the kicker makes those, TU is 4-4 which still isn't mind-blowing, and not enough to say TU is very competitive in the AAC without a few more wins this season.

Solid coaching is what kept TU in the UM and SMU games (being up 30-9 before the team collapsed). Missed kicks are what lost them. The coach recruits kickers but also all the other players that kept TU in the game. You can't give "the players" credit for staying in the game and knock Monty for losing. That makes no sense. Both are the reasons for the loss and also for being in it, but Monty is doing the best with the kind of athletes we're going to get. Impressive he can line up a bunch of players who might be at an FCS school otherwise and compete with teams full of 3 and some 4 star players.

What you can do is give him credit for getting these guys in the program until his recruiting collapsed(a bit last year, and a lot this year.) What you can do is ream on him for making conservative and repetitive coaching moves,(play calling & strategy) not hiring an OC, not playing underclassmen in certain situations, making very few in-game adjustments, and not having recruited very well at a couple of positions.(kicker, QB)

Monty is not an all star coach making the best of what he 'has' here. He is a youngish HC making rookie mistakes in his 5th year as a head coach. That shouldn't be happening this far into his career, and probably won't change if he hasn't figured things out after 2 & 1/2 seasons of doing the same thing. He is a decent coach with lots of catastrophic flaws.

Last edited:

I was pretty neutral on your comments until you went delusional and thought the coaching kept them in games. The SMU game is squarely on how conservative both the offense and defense went and undoubtedly at the direction of the head coach.

Memphis game was better and I only questioned 1 decision.

It's delusional to think the coaching is not a major part of the problem from a recruiting, development, game-planning, and adjustment standpoint.

Kicked for the Bills for a while right?

Browns and Redskins.

At Arkansas, he had to switch to punts and kickoffs as the Hogs already had a placekicker Ish Ordonez that Cox couldn’t beat out.

Lou Holtz was asked once if he considered redshirting Ordonez for a year when Cox came on.

His reply was yes, we’re going to redshirt Ish for home games and white shirt him for road games.

The things you remember when your a kid.

Last edited:
I was pretty neutral on your comments until you went delusional and thought the coaching kept them in games. The SMU game is squarely on how conservative both the offense and defense went and undoubtedly at the direction of the head coach.

Memphis game was better and I only questioned 1 decision.

It's delusional to think the coaching is not a major part of the problem from a recruiting, development, game-planning, and adjustment standpoint.

Of course coaching is part of the problem. I didn't say it wasn't. If you know better than Monty, making $1.7M/year, why aren't you working as a head coach or at least OC somewhere? Fans are bad at judging that (In 2016, you and many on this board were saying he was a great coach).

Of course you should play conservatively in the 4th if you're up 30-9. The team shouldn't collapse. It's a run-based offense and lives/dies through that. The QB play has been awful for 3 years and that's Monty's fault, but keeping TU in games it has no business being in is a testament that he has some capacity to coach, even if it isn't getting "W's".

It reminds me of how UT hired the guy from Louisville who failed at UT, then went and had USF in top-25 year one. UT fans said he was a terrible coach. The reality is he is a capable coach, great at times and mediocre other times.

Montgomery seems to have bursts of ability coaching and shows flashes. TU's recruiting class was 109th his first year, then in the 90s and then 109th again. Could another coach out-recruit? Almost certainly. Will they be able to get a team of 90-109th ranked guys to take 4 different top-25 teams to the wire? Who knows but that is unlikely. Maybe Montgomery will be better next year than some unknown with a whole different system (and probably at least another year of 3-9). I'd rather TU spend all that money on facility upgrades rather than fire and bring in someone else who will say "we need those upgrades!"

Solid coaching is what kept TU in the UM and SMU games (being up 30-9 before the team collapsed).
You should pay to dry clean my britches because I did a genuine laugh/spray of my coffee all over myself with this one.
spittake.jpg

Of course coaching is part of the problem. I didn't say it wasn't. If you know better than Monty, making $1.7M/year, why aren't you working as a head coach or at least OC somewhere? Fans are bad at judging that (In 2016, you and many on this board were saying he was a great coach).

Of course you should play conservatively in the 4th if you're up 30-9. The team shouldn't collapse. It's a run-based offense and lives/dies through that. The QB play has been awful for 3 years and that's Monty's fault, but keeping TU in games it has no business being in is a testament that he has some capacity to coach, even if it isn't getting "W's".

It reminds me of how UT hired the guy from Louisville who failed at UT, then went and had USF in top-25 year one. UT fans said he was a terrible coach. The reality is he is a capable coach, great at times and mediocre other times.

Montgomery seems to have bursts of ability coaching and shows flashes. TU's recruiting class was 109th his first year, then in the 90s and then 109th again. Could another coach out-recruit? Almost certainly. Will they be able to get a team of 90-109th ranked guys to take 4 different top-25 teams to the wire? Who knows but that is unlikely. Maybe Montgomery will be better next year than some unknown with a whole different system (and probably at least another year of 3-9). I'd rather TU spend all that money on facility upgrades rather than fire and bring in someone else who will say "we need those upgrades!"
No one is saying he shouldn't run clock when he has the lead. But he seems to go into a shell and become very predictable w/ play calling such as down 1: run up the middle down 2 run up the middle, down 3 throw a pass. Teams have caught on to this and there has been little to no adjustments from the staff. Sure, he gets our guys in positions where they should win games after a half of football. They get there through aggressive, fast paced play-calling that puts the defense on their heels. I bet if you go back to 2016 and look at the avg. amount of time between snaps, it is probably between 17-20 seconds. Right now, it's about 27-32 seconds. We might have a drive here or there where he decides to amp it up. Thing is, the faster we play, the more consistently successful the offense has been play-to-play. We also all understood him wanting to call plays the first couple of years until the offense and system was installed, but being the OC and head coach divides his attention. When did Gundy become a better HC? The minute he hired an OC and let them call the plays. (And we all understand Monty may have budget limitations imposed on him that hinder this). In the SMU game, I believe there was 4th down and about 3 for a mid-distance FG that we have not been successful at for 2 years. Wisdom would say go for the 1st down...Sure, ESPN may criticize the decision but we all know and the coaches all know. Monty seems stubborn to the point of costing the team at trying to get Rainey some confidence.

You're 5 years in, we obviously have the horses (best TU defense in 2 decades and a productive offense)..yet the results are the same as last year and the previous year. Sure games are a little closer...but it's the coach's job to teach these kids how to win. You can't win if you play (or coach in this matter) afraid.

No one is saying he shouldn't run clock when he has the lead. But he seems to go into a shell and become very predictable w/ play calling such as down 1: run up the middle down 2 run up the middle, down 3 throw a pass. Teams have caught on to this and there has been little to no adjustments from the staff. Sure, he gets our guys in positions where they should win games after a half of football. They get there through aggressive, fast paced play-calling that puts the defense on their heels. I bet if you go back to 2016 and look at the avg. amount of time between snaps, it is probably between 17-20 seconds. Right now, it's about 27-32 seconds. We might have a drive here or there where he decides to amp it up. Thing is, the faster we play, the more consistently successful the offense has been play-to-play. We also all understood him wanting to call plays the first couple of years until the offense and system was installed, but being the OC and head coach divides his attention. When did Gundy become a better HC? The minute he hired an OC and let them call the plays. (And we all understand Monty may have budget limitations imposed on him that hinder this). In the SMU game, I believe there was 4th down and about 3 for a mid-distance FG that we have not been successful at for 2 years. Wisdom would say go for the 1st down...Sure, ESPN may criticize the decision but we all know and the coaches all know. Monty seems stubborn to the point of costing the team at trying to get Rainey some confidence.

You're 5 years in, we obviously have the horses (best TU defense in 2 decades and a productive offense)..yet the results are the same as last year and the previous year. Sure games are a little closer...but it's the coach's job to teach these kids how to win. You can't win if you play (or coach in this matter) afraid.

you’re wasting your time on this guy.

you’re wasting your time on this guy.
It's fine, he's picking and choosing parts of posts from 4 years ago and somewhat out of context. Most of us on this board that post regularly are also willing to walk back statements if we clearly made a mistake (Aston won't on Haith, we know that :)) But we have evolved our critiques to be current and progress as we get a larger sample size. And I'm sure there were a couple of us on here who actually said we should temper our thoughts on Monty after the 2020 season and see where things head as we lost a lot of good offensive players that year. (They were right to temper their enthusiasm).

When did Gundy become a better HC? The minute he hired an OC and let them call the plays. (And we all understand Monty may have budget limitations imposed on him that hinder this). In the SMU game, I believe there was 4th down and about 3 for a mid-distance FG that we have not been successful at for 2 years. Wisdom would say go for the 1st down...Sure, ESPN may criticize the decision but we all know and the coaches all know. Monty seems stubborn to the point of costing the team at trying to get Rainey some confidence.

OSU fans told me Gundy is still calling plays with this new OC (and it's not going great overall this year). Riley calls plays at OU and that's been tremendous so it varies.

I agree he should go for it on 4th and 3 rather than that FG but half the fan base will criticise that if he doesn't convert.

I agree with you're points and I'm very disappointed too, but it seems like far more than just a coaching change to turn this around. I'm not sure TU really has the horses to compete (mostly QB/Kicker). You need some wizardry from OC/DC and HC. The DC and staff have been tremendous last year and this one. OC definitely needs changed. I'd rather TU spend $1 million on a new up and coming OC (from HS or FCS) rather than twice that on a whole new staff.

OSU fans told me Gundy is still calling plays with this new OC (and it's not going great overall this year). Riley calls plays at OU and that's been tremendous so it varies.

I agree he should go for it on 4th and 3 rather than that FG but half the fan base will criticise that if he doesn't convert.

I agree with you're points and I'm very disappointed too, but it seems like far more than just a coaching change to turn this around. I'm not sure TU really has the horses to compete (mostly QB/Kicker). You need some wizardry from OC/DC and HC. The DC and staff have been tremendous last year and this one. OC definitely needs changed. I'd rather TU spend $1 million on a new up and coming OC (from HS or FCS) rather than twice that on a whole new staff.

QB? Smith has been fine. The issue with this team is 100% coaching. Stop pulling Nonsense out of thin air.

QB? Smith has been fine. The issue with this team is 100% coaching. Stop pulling Nonsense out of thin air.
I think the issues is recruiting more than coaching. We can never seem to fill all the needs at the time we need to fill them. This year it's O-Line and Kicker, next year it would be the defense. We can't put together a complete team of talent and that's a problem.

The coaching has been better in terms of play calling, and given better players at a couple positions we would be winning more of these matchups.

Not saying Monty deserves another chance... just that his calls weren't wrong. He just didn't get the players he needed to make the calls work. Honestly, I could see him leaving Tulsa and becoming the OC at somewhere like Texas A&M where he's not in charge of putting together entire recruiting classes (Off, Def, +ST) and tearing it up.

1 sentence you say we need far more than a coaching change, then 1 sentence later you say we need wizardry from the oc/dc/hc.

WE NEED A COACHING CHANGE BECAUSE MONTY HAS ZERO WIZARDRY IN HIM.

you proved all of our points in 2 of your own sentences. Monty has no ability to scheme these players to wins. Another coach might. I want wins, not 1 point loses.

It's not 100% of the problem. If the OL and K were good, then it would be 100% coaching. We are not a perfect team in terms of players and talent, but we have enough talent where it counts most that our record should be at the very least reversed in terms of W-L. I'd say it's about 75% coaching and 25% talent deficiency in a couple of areas.

Maybe hell be fine next year? How many 2-10 seasons are needed to lose his job?

How many "2-10" performances are you allowed at your job until youre fired?

Can i work for you? Ill give u a solid 5 hours a week and sleep thenither 35 for 100k a year. Thanks.

Is there still a game on Saturday?

It's not really a game Sir. It's fait accompli at this point. Tiny crowd, another L on the schedule and another game where TK Wiklerson is used improperly. I'm reminded of the Family Guy episode where Henry Ford gets questioned for using the Model T as a jew flattener instead of a transportation vehicle and retorts: "yeah yeah, you could also use the Mona Lisa as a place-mat, God!"

So tired of Bruce Howard sucking up to him and getting his nose brown on these Rib Crib shows... Either cancel the show or demand he defend his record and analyze his screw ups each week.

Reactions: maverickfp
It's not really a game Sir. It's fait accompli at this point. Tiny crowd, another L on the schedule and another game where TK Wiklerson is used improperly.

Isn't Tulane drawing quite a few fan these days? It seems that some fans want to complain about the game and they don't even know where it's at.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT